[FE4] Rate the Unit IV

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking

Sigurd: 9.96

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

DAY 4: ARDAN

___

Oh, Ardan. Where do I start with Ardan? How about the 4 move and joining at the same time as three horseback units? Or how, by the end of the Prologue, he is one of two non-mounted units? Or how he's swordlocked? Or how he has pretty pathetic stats and his only skill is the moderately decent Ambush?

Yeah. THAT Ardan.

He has great convos but who the hell wants to bother getting them? He can father some tanky kids, but so can Lex. And Lex gives Neir and Elite on top of that.

Sorry, Ardan. Try harder. Or get a horse.

1.5/10

I believe that it was Dokutayuu that said there's a reason none of the children characters look like thwomps. 1/10, an armour in a game where movement is practically everything (also has no idea what skill and speed are).

(also has no idea what skill and speed are).

The amusing thing here is that since he has swords he can still double well over half the enemies if you give him pursuit. Just, sadly, not many of the ones in the arena and it's not like he'd catch up to enemies in the field. Plus there's the whole, why wouldn't I stick pursuit on someone else thing. He should've found the leg ring, not the pursuit ring. Oh well.

Decent castle guard and nets you Pursuit Ring. All he's good for, really. Shittier move than normal foot units, no innate pursuit, and being slow as balls isn't all that useful. He's outclassed by Lex as a father in just about every way except sometimes inheritance, and he's just not that great as a unit.

Still, the pursuit ring is one of the most sought-after resources in Gen2 so I'll let him take credit for that.

1.5/10.

Or how he's swordlocked?

I don't really consider swordlock an issue in FE4, seeing that swords are the best physical weapon here and Arden's AS would even be deeper piles of shit should he pick up a javelin or something even heavier. Javelins are kinda terrible by themselves and requires a good unit to be useful and lolololol Handaxes. ARden's useless enough that Swords don't save him, but if he had, say, axes, he'd be even more unsalvagable as his AS would probably be negative all the time.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Decent castle guard and nets you Pursuit Ring. All he's good for, really. Shittier move than normal foot units, no innate pursuit, and being slow as balls isn't all that useful. He's outclassed by Lex as a father in just about every way except sometimes inheritance, and he's just not that great as a unit.

Still, the pursuit ring is one of the most sought-after resources in Gen2 so I'll let him take credit for that.

1.5/10.

I don't really consider swordlock an issue in FE4, seeing that swords are the best physical weapon here and Arden's AS would even be deeper piles of shit should he pick up a javelin or something even heavier. Javelins are kinda terrible by themselves and requires a good unit to be useful and lolololol Handaxes. ARden's useless enough that Swords don't save him, but if he had, say, axes, he'd be even more unsalvagable as his AS would probably be negative all the time.

But it's not like he has Pursuit naturally anyway. If he had Axes or Lance, he would at least be able to 2HKO more reliably.

He could do that, once he promotes. The problem is getting him to that point. The other problem is the massive competition for the Pursuit Ring. Cuan, Lex, Levin, and Noish all want it a lot more than Ardan does.

He'll have trouble even reaching the enemies, for one, and his hitrates with lance or axe will be pretty unreliable especially with single RNG. Sword gets him through a few levels of the arena, which is useful if you're going ranked.

He'll have trouble even reaching the enemies, for one, and his hitrates with lance or axe will be pretty unreliable especially with single RNG.

Lances have the same hitrates as Swords, at least Iron/Steel/Silver do. Axes have 10 less hitrate. Axes are probably the most favourable, in fact, because it means he doesn't face WTD against the rather numerous lance users, while facing WTD from sword users isn't such a big deal since they're less common. I guess that it pretty much makes it impossible for him to deal with Swordfighters in the Arena, however.

Fair enough. And yeah, even Lex has trouble with swordfighters until he's sufficiently leveled, and he's got the Hero Axe. I don't think Arden will survive against them if he went axes.

Lex in the arena is funny. Hilarious, even, against swordfighters and especially masters. Like, needs to hit twice and his 20HKOd in return, and he's got the hero axe and still loses. Sometimes it's just that his hitrate is so bad, other times it's because I just got unlucky with 20 to 30 hit.

Yeah. Properly leveled Lex takes hilarious damage from swordies. In the first two or so chapters, though, he's like 5HKO'd with terrible hitrates against them, so he never wins there unless I get super lucky @____@

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Fair enough. And yeah, even Lex has trouble with swordfighters until he's sufficiently leveled, and he's got the Hero Axe. I don't think Arden will survive against them if he went axes.

Arden struggles to survive against them now. That being said, he 2HKOes Shark with the Hero Axe, so it's just a matter of trying again and again until he hits twice... ditto for Emil. So he might actually be better off in the first two Arenas thanks to the Hero Axe.

Edited by Anouleth

If sufficiently levelled, his defense is pretty impressive. However, his performance in the arena is bad, and his movement is low, resulting him him not levelling very well. His skill and speed are both terrible, he'll only double with the pursuit ring and if the enemy is horribly weighed down. He's not really entitled to much, hurting him further.

As a father, Lex beats him in pretty much everything. A promoted Ardan can pass down swords and bows, but who promotes Ardan?

3/10 for prologue performance, pursuit ring and resembling Frankenstein's monster.

If sufficiently levelled, his defense is pretty impressive. However, his performance in the arena is bad, and his movement is low, resulting him him not levelling very well. His skill and speed are both terrible, he'll only double with the pursuit ring and if the enemy is horribly weighed down. He's not really entitled to much, hurting him further.

As a father, Lex beats him in pretty much everything. A promoted Ardan can pass down swords and bows, but who promotes Ardan?

3/10 for prologue performance, pursuit ring and resembling Frankenstein's monster.

I promoted Ardan in a draft once, I was impressed

That being said, he still did what he normally did, which is fuck all, netting him a 2/10 for grabbing the pursuit ring.

Saying Ardan has bad Arena performance is a little disingenuous. There are a few places where things get difficult for him, yes, but he can use the Hero Sword for great justice, just like anybody else with B swords, and he can get pretty far with just Slim, Steel, and perseverance in Chapters 1 and 2. Azel has a harder time of Arena, as does Dew, and frequently Ethlin. Adean and Claude are probably worse off than him as well. His performance certainly isn't stellar, but it's not terrible either.

With that said, Arena performance only matters if it means you become better at helping to complete chapter or ranking objectives. Because Ardan's low move means he will rarely be where the action is, and because there are never any real threats to your home castle worth deploying a guard for, I rate him a 1/10. He is without a doubt the single worst character in FE4, without competition, regardless of generation.

Saying Ardan has bad Arena performance is a little disingenuous. There are a few places where things get difficult for him, yes, but he can use the Hero Sword for great justice, just like anybody else with B swords, and he can get pretty far with just Slim, Steel, and perseverance in Chapters 1 and 2. Azel has a harder time of Arena, as does Dew, and frequently Ethlin. Adean and Claude are probably worse off than him as well. His performance certainly isn't stellar, but it's not terrible either.

With that said, Arena performance only matters if it means you become better at helping to complete chapter or ranking objectives. Because Ardan's low move means he will rarely be where the action is, and because there are never any real threats to your home castle worth deploying a guard for, I rate him a 1/10. He is without a doubt the single worst character in FE4, without competition, regardless of generation.

Note that I never said it was terrible, but he's amongst the worse combatants. Edain and Claude can clear the chapter 4 arena with Wind, swapping to Thunder for the last enemy. Plus, they're both healers so the arena isn't meant to be their forte. Azel has trouble early on but gets better when he swaps tome and gains some speed. That leaves Dew, but it's not hard to be better than an unpromoted Dew. I'll give you that he can borrow the Hero Sword to help himself.

Ardan fairs much better in non-linear chapters where he can have time to set himself up. It's possible for him to take on the pirates, but there are many others who could do that. For the entire game, Ardan is easily the worst unit, hanging with the likes of Daisy.

I'd rate him a 0.5, but I'll give him the full point for the Pursuit Ring, except have you seen how long it takes him to walk over there to the damn thing? I mean you're going to do it because he has nothing better to do anyway, but goddamn. It just shows how pokey and worthless he is. Movement is way too important with maps as huge as FE4's. 1/10.

Give him extra MOV and start him promoted and maybe he's worth something. Otherwise he stands there on the throne on the off chance any enemies get sassy and try to reach your castle... which almost never happens anyway as you kill them all with your dozen or so other units.

For me all the Pursuit Ring does for Ardan is saving him the gold to buy it, but he can't really do anything worthwhile with gold anyway. His arena performance is being vastly underrated though, having swords alone does the job for him versus a lot of enemies, you just need to give him something better than the Iron Sword he starts with. Still, he contributes absolutely nothing on the field.

1/10

Edited by Mekkah