FE4 - Rate The Unit XXXIV

CT075

is this my job now

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

-Second Generation Note: Assume that Substitutes are done on a Subs-only run. Any "not ________" will not be accepted.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest):

First Generation

Diadora: 1.19

Ardan: 1.39

Tiltyu: 2.00

Briggid: 3.71

Claude: 4.42

Azel: 4.63

Jamka: 5.25

Midir: 5.47

Dew: 5.68

Holyn: 5.90

Lachesis: 6.13

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Beowulf: 6.40

Aideen: 6.57

Ayra: 6.79

Levin: 7.87

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

Fury: 8.25

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sylvia: 9.50

Sigurd: 9.96

Second Generation

Roddlevan: 3.33

Radney: 3.44

Mana: 4.98

Tristan: 5.00

Skasaher: 6.00

Lakche: 6.35

Lana: 8.24

Delmud: 8.45

Celice: 9.54

---

Day 34, Lester

In my experience he can be a bit underwhelming, but from what I've heard he's a boss with the right father. And a horse is decent, also he has (pretty much) the sole claim to the Hero/Killer Bow. But his Lex haircut bothers me so he gets a 4/10

MidirLester is pretty much the only Lester that's pretty good without any additional highly debated resources, as his next-best father, Jamka, doesn't give him pursuit and he's pretty far down the line for that pursuit ring. Lana's other potentially good fathers such as Claude makes Lester utter shit, so he doesn't have many options.

But since we're rating on best father, Lester's lucky he has a good one to work off of, anyway. With pursuit, Hero Bow, and Charge, he doesn't have trouble killing things in C6 (in fact, I find him to be better on player phase in C6 than Delmud unless Delmud has AyraHero or CritSilver, but those swords are more highly contested whereas Lester has practically exclusive dibs on Hero Bow + Killer) and he often onerounds thanks to 4+ hits/PP. He has a horse, which is nice, too, but I found he becomes progressively more underwhelming as the game goes on. And while bowlock isn't as big of an issue in FE4, it's still an issue.

6/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Ah depends on who the dad is. For someone new I'd suggest Midir. However, my last run Lex was the dad and he turned out pretty well. My point is it doesn't matter who the father is I think he turns out ok. Bowlock and only getting skills from his father kinda hurt him though.

7/10

Edited by Guy Starwind

While he's not quite good enough to get danced, his offense is above average, he has exclusive access to the best bows until Faval shows up, and will most likely have them after that, and has a horse. There's also a fair amount of wyverns with good durability, that he is one of your best units for. 7/10

If he can get his mits on the Killer Bow, he's golden. The pursuit ring is crucial if his father is Jamka or Dew. Bow lock isn't awful, but it's not the weapon you want to be stuck with. Still, he has a horse and has claim to all the good bows.

5/10 - not stellar, but he's usually pretty reliable. Cool hair!

I don't think Lester loses steam per se when it comes to raw combat parameters, but just being able to attack only once per turn is kind of annoying. Still he will ORKO pretty much anything with Hero Bow all game long and he's on a horse.

7/10

6.5/10

His main problem is, he is bow-locked. However, he does start with a hero bow making him useful in the first chapter. Mirdir!Lester is usually what I go with, and he is ok, but far from my best unit overall. He is pretty average after his first chapter.

Edited by Bee

Midayle!Lester is fun, Hero Bow+Pursuit/Charge for 8 attacks.

Mount is even better.

Of course, he loves killer/silver/hero bows.

7/10, because he's not that bad, but bow-lock makes him just alright.

Lester is pretty okay. I gave Midir a 6.5, and Lester can get the benefit of really good bows straight out the gate, making him a Midir who 1RKOs most of everything and can have fairly solid durability, if not spectacular. I'm going to go ahead and give Lester a

7.5/10

(even though he has no friends and lex fucked his mom before anybody else got a chance to)

I love Lester. I don't consider bowlock a major problem when it's FE4 (which means Lester is deployed anyway) and he's got a horse with re-move. Lester escalates "archer chip" to a whole new level, where that level is "any son of a bitch gets in my sights, he's goddamn dead." His fathering options are a bit limited; he's basically got Midir, Jamka, and promoted Ardan if he wants bows, and Hero/Killer are far more important to him than anything else. Of course, non-Midir dads lack Pursuit, which sucks, but since he has an easy Pursuit fallback father whom no other mother really wants (seriously, what's Midir give anybody but Aideen, really?) it's all good.

Whether he has Pursuit or not, Lester wants the Hero Bow to kill stuff, and the Killer Bow when he wants an accuracy or critical boost (or for the arena). If he got those, he's a happy camper from the moment he shows up in ch6 to the very end of the game. How many other characters can claim to be so laid-back? He needn't buy anything, so he can make a few impulse purchases (maybe a ring if nobody wants one) or just shovel all his money into his lover. And he'll make a fair bit of money; doing well in the arena is no real trouble for him, so he should earn enough to keep the Hero and Killer Bows in good repair with some cash on the side. He'll occasionally run into arena roadblocks but it's nothing retrying can't eventually fix.

As the game wears on it gets a little awkward for him. He still ORKOs basically all generics, but there are fewer opportunities to make the enemy stupidly attack him at range on the enemy phase and he's not great against bosses, many of whom have tomes and can therefore hit him back (and you do not want him fighting Ishtar).

7.25/10, with that tiny chunk of bias there.

His best father for turncount is probably Azel (just going by theory versions of Chapter 4 and 5, I haven't done it personally) and Azel makes Lester a really bad combat unit that doesn't get the hero or killer bows until Chapter 9ish. His best combat unit father is Midir as others have said, and with him he can pretty much always ORKO something in player phase every turn there is is something to kill for the entire second generation, using weapons no one else wants too terribly - but in FE4, that's not really all that great.

6/10

Midir!Lester is everything his dad wanted to be. Good growths, great starting bows, and just the sight of Lex's haircut even gives him more masculinity than his old man. He has a bowlock and his stats aren't THAT greatmazing, but dat horse and dem bows do push him over the edge to "good."

7/10

What is there not to like about Lester? Bows...that's it. Like his sister, he starts off with what he needs right off the bat which are the Hero, Killer, and Silver Bows. But he's still fine with the just the Hero and Killer bows. I agree with Integrity when he says that Lester is everything Midir wanted to be. Assuming Lester's father is Midir, he'll have no issues killing but he's not outstanding though.

7.5/10

His best father for turncount is probably Azel (just going by theory versions of Chapter 4 and 5, I haven't done it personally) and Azel makes Lester a really bad combat unit that doesn't get the hero or killer bows until Chapter 9ish.

I think the ratings assume the best possible father for the child, so we wouldn't consider things like Lana's father or the intangibles the Azel pairing gives us. It's worth mentioning that many of his father options don't much help him, but I think it ends up mitigated by the fact that Midir works just fine and he's not in very high demand among parents regardless. But even in-demand parents (hi, Levin) don't penalize anything, as we're free to rate both Arthur and Sety as if Levin were always available.

When discussing Lester, I'd think the notion that he gets the Hero and Killer Bow passed to him is implicit, unless the argument is that there's actually a really great non-inheritance pairing, but that'd just be a point further in his favor.

I know a lot of people here have tacitly agreed to the "best parent for the unit" thing but it's not actually in the top-of-page rules and I think it's a little more interesting to be flexible about it if you want to bring it up. People are rating the units based on their own idiosyncratic criteria and having variations based on your own gameplay goals gives people something to think and write about. In my response I was even kinda combining an LTC point of view with a casual RPG POV and I brought up two different Lesters based on that. These aren't tiers so it's not like there is a correct answer anyway, even theoretically.

I did ask Octavian a while back and he said to assume best pairings. Guess he forgot to put it up there or something.

It's more or less to prevent "lolololDewArthursucksassworstunitever" when LevinArthur is one of the haxest things in the game.

my philosophy is to judge by all viable fathers (note that I didn't say POSSIBLE for a reason) and then weigh the performances of each with the likelihood of that father being used

I usually weigh in good fathers for the child if there's several like in cases of Delmud, I put in Beo, Fin, and Azel for him since all three has merit. But in case of Lester, unless he gets the highly-contested Pursuit Ring, I feel the only one with any merit is Midir so I only assume him, even though his sister is far less picky.

Like for Arthur later on, I'd mostly be focusing on Levin but also make a small case for Lex (and maybe Azel) on those days you don't wanna hax everything with earlyhorsety. Whereas something shitty like DewArthur, as per example show, will never be considered.

I know a lot of people here have tacitly agreed to the "best parent for the unit" thing but it's not actually in the top-of-page rules and I think it's a little more interesting to be flexible about it if you want to bring it up. People are rating the units based on their own idiosyncratic criteria and having variations based on your own gameplay goals gives people something to think and write about. In my response I was even kinda combining an LTC point of view with a casual RPG POV and I brought up two different Lesters based on that. These aren't tiers so it's not like there is a correct answer anyway, even theoretically.

Oh, I don't think it was unfair of you to bring up or anything as I don't believe it impacted your score, and arguably the Azel parenting is relevant to certain playstyles. But even Azel!Lester is not that bad. His STR is abysmal but at least he has great SPD and Pursuit.

But I just want to be sure we aren't penalizing Lester for the possibility that he may sometimes take a lesser parent. Perhaps it should be factored that Lester suffers more for having to take one for the team than, say, Sety does (as Sety isn't losing anywhere near as much sleep if he doesn't get Levin for a dad). But I suspect the scores will naturally gravitate toward that anyway.

Perhaps it should be factored that Lester suffers more for having to take one for the team than, say, Sety does (as Sety isn't losing anywhere near as much sleep if he doesn't get Levin for a dad). But I suspect the scores will naturally gravitate toward that anyway.

I was about to say I don't think it will come up again, as I don't think anyone else but Lester gets significantly screwed over for their LTC father - but then I thought of something that will be important for considering a few more kids so I'll just wait until their turns.