Rate the Unit, Day 1: Ike

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Rate the Unit, FE9 edition. Go :).

Edited by PKL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has quite a strong earlygame, a milquetoast midgame, a very strong lategame, and absolutely godmodes endgame.

8/10; Best unit for a few chapters and among your better units for around 15 more? Yes, please.

Ike starts out as a nasty seesaw; being the reason is that his durability is an issue; despite of the lovely axefest, cause he might block axes with face at the start, which is not the thing you want to happen.

Anyways; that durability can be resolved with an Angelic Robe; and by the time he gets his supports in the form of Soren and Oscar; his dodging capabilities go up! His earlygame is strong despite of the start; but still... his performance will be okay-ish by midgame and starts to turn into one devastating destroying machine when he promotes and obtains Ragnell; with that... His lategame power is strong and simply obliterates and destroys endgame.

So, I'll be giving him...

9/10

He has amazing growths, the Regal Sword, great promotional gains, the best mastery skill, best availability, the freaking Ragnell, and he fights for his friends!!!

His only down-sides are his story based promotion, and his inability to attack from 2 range until he gets Ragnell (or Sonic Sword)

9/10

Ike is a great lord; however he is not without his problems. His story based promotion means that he can be stuck at level 20 for quite some time before the promotion. Ike also likes to block axes with his face in the first few levels. However, once he gets going he turns amazing. He clearly has the best availabilty in the game. His growths are also pretty good.

He can hold his own, then his growths start kicking in.

Also, until his growths start kicking in, he has the regal sword.

Promotes fairly early, whoop ass supports, and is solid early on, nice mid-game, lolLategame with AEther.

Also, free deployment.

And+1 for bias.

10/10

My ratings epidemic continues!!!

Give me Frosts' 8.5. I've only played one chapter of this game, and it's the tutorial, so I get to vote for Ike only T.T.

I have heard a few times that Ike has a weak earlygame but I don't really see it.I'm pretty sure he does better then anyone besides Vanessa's mount early on.

Ike can take a few hits which is all I need and can double stuff and nobody fights him for his deployment slot. Sure, things are probably differently in Maniac mode but above it says we are assuming hard mode so he should do fine. He always seemed to be second best besides Titania to me until Jill promotes.

I also like how he doesn't start with his personal weapon. Instead he gets it right before Armored Knights appear which I think this is kinda neat. Plus, the weapon has a lot of uses and is way easier to handle then the other effective weapons.

After he promotes, which happens refreshingly early for a Lord. He pretty much turns into a demi-god. And unlike most units he actually gets something out of using a Occult scroll.

Afterwards he pretty much heals himself by killing stuff which is neat. Kinda like a vampire. Vampires are cool.

And near the endgame he starts using Ragnell. Ranged sword + high power + high defense boost + infinite uses. At his point one might wonder why the enemies are even trying.

10/10

+1 bias since Ike is my favorite Lord and all. Though I feel tempted to vote him lower just so that I can give Titania and Jill bias points without breaking the rating scale.

Edited by BrightBow

If only he didn't have a forced promotion and gained Ragnell sooner, he'd be a 10/10...

great stats, with a little luck he'll cap str, skl, spd & def. only needing 1 HP booster and both res boosters to cap those stats

and only truly useful mastery skill

9's still too high, though I think 8's too low.

8.5/10

I have heard a few times that Ike has a weak earlygame but I don't really see it.I'm pretty sure he does better then anyone besides Vanessa's mount early on.

Ike can take a few hits which is all I need and can double stuff and nobody fights him for his deployment slot. Sure, things are probably differently in Maniac mode but above it says we are assuming hard mode so he should do fine. He always seemed to be second best besides Titania to me until Jill promotes.

I also like how he doesn't start with his personal weapon. Instead he gets it right before Armored Knights appear which I think this is kinda neat. Plus, the weapon has a lot of uses and is way easier to handle then the other effective weapons.

After he promotes, which happens refreshingly early for a Lord. He pretty much turns into a demi-god. And unlike most units he actually gets something out of using a Occult scroll.

Afterwards he pretty much heals himself by killing stuff which is neat. Kinda like a vampire. Vampires are cool.

And near the endgame he starts using Ragnell. Ranged sword + high power + high defense boost + infinite uses. At his point one might wonder why the enemies are even trying.

10/10

+1 bias since Ike is my favorite Lord and all. Though I feel tempted to vote him lower just so that I can give Titania and Jill bias points without breaking the rating scale.

You are out right wrong

As mentioned before Ike is the second worst character you have till Mia joins. He then becomes the third worst. Oscar, Boyd, Gatrie, Shinon, Titania, all have substantially better defense and offense. Not to mention some of them have horses. Rhys is the healer so he doesn't count and is useful anyway. In fact he doesn't exactly shine until he gets Ragnell. Regal blade is just so unimportant.

Not to mention Marcia joins before Jill and is considered top tier material (IIRC)

You are out right wrong

As mentioned before Ike is the second worst character you have till Mia joins. He then becomes the third worst. Oscar, Boyd, Gatrie, Shinon, Titania, all have substantially better defense and offense. Not to mention some of them have horses. Rhys is the healer so he doesn't count and is useful anyway. In fact he doesn't exactly shine until he gets Ragnell. Regal blade is just so unimportant.

Not to mention Marcia joins before Jill and is considered top tier material (IIRC)

I would like to note a few things:

-Oscar, Boyd, Shinon and Gatrie all aren't available for a few missions at the beginning respectively. I found the former 2 a bit lacking when they rejoin. Probably because they didn't get any exp.

-Shinon can't counter at 1-range.

-Gatrie can't double and tends to miss.

Marcia IS awesome but she joins at level 5 which somewhat limits her. Tier lists are mostly based around turncounts which I don't care much about so a flier hasn't that much value for me. Or high move units for that matter. Canto is awesome though.

Edited by BrightBow

9/10

Ike is a great lord; however he is not without his problems. His story based promotion means that he can be stuck at level 20 for quite some time before the promotion. Ike also likes to block axes with his face in the first few levels. However, once he gets going he turns amazing. He clearly has the best availabilty in the game. His growths are also pretty good.

This. But with a bias point so make mine a 10/10.

Quite possibly the best unmounted lord (explicitely "unmounted" so that I don't have to compare him to wtfSigurd) IS has given us so far.

Let's see...

He starts out a little unimpressive. Nevertheless, most of our team is fairly unimpressive during earlygame, and he can definitely hold his own. Then his great growths start to kick in and he soon becomes better and better, until he finally promotes (at a fairly reasonable point in the game, if I may add - unlike other lords so far, he promotes only a small bit later than our other earlygame growth units) and becomes a force to be reckoned with.

No 1-2-range until he gets Ragnell (a.k.a. at the end of the game), but at least he destroys pretty much everything at 1-range and never dies. His earth affinity makes him ridiculously invincible once the supports start to kick in.

Very decent.

8.5/10. +0.5 bias for being awesome.

-> 9/10

Edited by Shade of Shadow

Yes, I was hoping somebody would start this for PoR.

Anyways on to Ike, great lord, great supports (looking at you Oscar) and a kickass mastery skill.

Ike gets 9/10 me due to the fact he's likely going to have a problem Mid-Game due to all the lances that are going about. Just think of how broken he would be if he got a horse on promotion though, it would be like the second coming of Sigurd.

Finally, a game I know enough about to participate in one of these!

Easily among the best lords ever to grace Fire Emblem.

Sigurd still beats him, though.

I find that earlygame he's powerful enough with the Robe boosting HP, but whenever I do a runthrough he suffers from Roy Syndrome for a few chapters as he just awkwardly sits there and doesn't get any XP for kills.

Promoted? Give him Aether (And Parity for the Black Knight fight), and watch shit get real.

9/10 (-.5 for no pony, -.25 for not being Sigurd, -.25 for Swordlock).

Awesome. Ive been waiting for this RTU for a while. :B

Ike, the main hero of PoR who starts out a scrub but unwittingly ends up leading entire armies.

Pros:

:awesome:

Great growths.

Roflstomps after promotion.

Supports rock the ass!

Ragnell use late game. (come on! thats awesome)

Good speed.

Cons:

Early game is a wee bit shaky.

Strength can get screwed (ive seen it happen).

Bad res.

Srsly, Ike is probably the best lord besides like Sigurd (from what i hear) and Hector. This guy fucken roflstomps! Sure in the beginning, he needs love to start doing his thing. A bit of babying actually. But most lords not named Sigurd need to do this in some form or another. His strength may see some lag but usually it balances out. Plus giving him a forge tends to help early on because that Regal Sword doesnt last forever and doesnt have THAT awesome of MT. It has high crit though so yeah. One problem i find with Ike is that, (on any mode other than maybe Hard mode) he hits his level cap pretty quick and ends up only doing like not a whole lot. But then he gets promoted and its back to asskicking and hes doing it much better than before. Plus Aether skill is pretty wrong most of the time and yeah. Ike is something of a badass. He can support with a lot of different people (i always support him with Soren because fangirl, but his support with Oscar is awesome.) and just...destroys. I like Ike.

9/10 10/10 bias because omg....

All sword Lords should be like Ike so they don't fall into mediocrity or Roy.

That said he's does quite well throughout the game only hampered by his slow start as well as what happens to be his proneness to getting RNG screwed or is that just me?

Uh... Anyway. 8/10

Mah boi.

As others mentioned, he has quite a challenging start. But it isn't so bad. Given the load of fighters/bandits you fight in early game, he has WTA for a nice bit of early game to give him a nice boost start to keep up with the other Greil Mercenaries. With growth rates like that (Plus any band of your choice), RNG screwage is close to rare. Though he'll most likely still have problems dealing damage and taking it if he refuses to gain any strength/defense on the first few level ups.

Mid-game, he still has his uses. Since this is HM, he won't jump to level 20 until around say...Chapter 14-16 ish if you are constantly putting him to work and trying to level everyone up equally to at least have a few promoted before he does. Given that he promotes just about 2-3 chapters after that, you basically won't have to wait too long to start placing him back in the front lines.

From mid to late, he destroys the game. Literally. By promotion and on Chapter 18-19, he's already solid enough to be late game material after a couple of level ups. He receives some pretty sweet promotional gains (Mainly +3 gains in certain stats). He then breaks the game if you feed him an occult. Though against the Black Knight and Ashnard, it's a little unreliable that Aether is your only hope to dish out some good damage for the kill if you don't want to waste skills on Ike for those battles only, since those skills can go to better candidates who need them more desperately than he does. But that's only if you want Nasir (Not factoring him in my rating). :\

I have no hesitations on giving my favorite character a 10/10. Not because of bias, but he's most likely one of the best Beorc units to have on your team. Plus he's forced. Takes little effort to make him tough as a rock.

Edited by Magnus Blade

With me close to finishing up PoR for my first time, this is what I think.

9.5/10

Ike starts out fairly weak (but to me better than "the professional") and dies easily if you aren't careful with him. Then his stats explode (leveled up each stat once). Then he promotes. Then he gets Aether. Then he gets FREAKING RAGNELL and becomes a beorc god among beorc. Plus, bias.

I like Ike. He's my favorite FE lord of the games that I've played with, in both of his games. He has the strengths of Hector, Lyn, Eliwood, Eirika, and Ephraim combined into one: great growths all around (40% defense and resistance growths, whaaat?); high caps to take advantage of his growths; and a great personal weapon come endgame. And the thing that puts Ragnell above the likes of all other legendary weapons before it (minus Falchion) is that it doesn't break. And it also has 2-range. That is awesome!

But Ike is not without his problems. His bases, while not terrible, are shaky and he will probably have a little trouble surviving at first. He doesn't fly or have a mount, and he never will. He's sword-locked for the entire game, which does hamper him a bit. And he exists in PoR, which is a game in which everyone is usable thanks to BEXP. And apparently Marcia, Jill, and Titania may break the game. But ... Ike is pretty much a really good unit. He also has an awesome affinity. Plus, he doesn't take forever to promote, unlike SOME other lords. (Pretty much all of them in the GBA games). I think his strengths mostly overcome his weaknesses.

I don't do bias points.

9/10

Edit:

9/10 (-.5 for no pony, -.25 for not being Sigurd, -.25 for Swordlock).

Sigurd doesn't exist in this game. So I don't see why you'd dock him for not being Sigurd. Especially since we're not comparing FE9 to FE4. emo13.gif

Edited by Boron

He is pathetic earlygame but grows like a monster. Although he could be stuck at level 20 for a while, when he does promote he becomes a boss. By the end of the game the kid is almost unstoppable, and then Ragnell just makes him all that much more beastly.

9/10 +1 bias (mainly for being a tank in his other appearances)

so that makes 10/10