Rate the Unit, Day 4: Boyd

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Ike: 8.567

Titania: 9.91

Oscar: 9.075

Boyd is another very good early joiner. As soon as he hits his first level up, he starts doubling(because forced spd proc) quite some enemies. Also early access to 1-2 range is pretty good. All in all his early-to midgame is definitely better than Ike's but his late game performance is in my opinion subpar because he starts having trouble doubling and his lack of avoid and def start catching up to his HP.

All in all I think he's worth a 7/10

Solid unit with a solid performance since has access to 1-2 range attacks; the only thing that hurts him is his defensive parameters; not counting HP which bags a 7...

Wait...

8.0; the extra point is because for some odd reason I find him funny.

Boyd gets a solid set of points for being helpful in the first 1/3 of the game. But with his shitty spd, he isn't going to get useful for long. Especially since he never doubles hardly anything later in the game unless you induce favoritism. I would just advise to use him to weaken enemies. Nothing more.

So...

6/10

Changed! Forgot his supporting bonuses offer better accuracy and pwr. It is suggested that he gets supports from either Mist, Brom, or Titania. Supporting him with them makes him more verstale against everyone but Sword Users. If only there were a Swordbuster. Hits hard enough for weaker units to finish off. Useful for that!

Edited by リンダ

Boyd gets a solid set of points for being helpful in the first 1/3 of the game. But with his shitty spd, he isn't going to get useful for long. Especially since he never doubles hardly anything later in the game unless you induce fovoritism. I would just advise to use him to weaken enemies. Nothing more.

So...

4.5/10

Sorry...but...WHAT? Not counting that since its pretty much a lie. FE9 enemies arent known to have a lot of speed and Boyd certainly isnt lacking for speed.

Sorry...but...WHAT? Not counting that since its pretty much a lie. FE9 enemies arent known to have a lot of speed and Boyd certainly isnt lacking for speed.

He isn't bound to get much speed with his 45% growth and most enemies are not slow later in the game. If your going to seriously use him, better have him use weapons that won't weigh him down. His not so good avoid due to not averaging more than 16.5 luck along with bad speed growth averaging no higher than 23.65 isn't worthy to rate him higher than this.

Edited by リンダ

His only growths below 45 are luk, def, res and lolmag.

I hear his first level up forces a spd proc, to 7, and I also know FE9 enemies are skye, like FE7 enemies.

A solid early game unit, and a fighter at that, which is a pleasent surprise.

If only his suvivability parameters were better.

1. Boyd has a 60% STR growth, he wont be slowed down by ANYTHING from level 15 on.

2. 45% SPD growth isnt low. Are you fucking serious?? Also bands exist and he will almost always have a SPD raising band for a 50% growth.

You should actually play this game (let alone any Fire Emblem for that matter) before you rate units from this game. You clearly dont know the game mechanics behind AS loss....

7.75/10 - He is one of the best on-foot units in the game.

Edited by Hawk King

1. Boyd has a 70% STR growth, he wont be slowed down by ANYTHING from level 14 on.

2. 45% SPD growth isnt low. Are you fucking serious?? Also bands exist and he will almost always have a SPD raising band for a 50% growth.

You should actually play this game (let alone any Fire Emblem for that matter) before you rate units from this game. You clearly dont know the game mechanics behind AS loss....

I actually forgot one thing and that Str also applies to Con in both this game and Radiant Dawn.

1. Boyd has a 60% STR growth, he wont be slowed down by ANYTHING from level 15 on.

Was this pointed at me too?

He can get a little fragile later on, but he's not nearly as fragile as you might initially figure and he's pretty decently bulky early on thanks to decent HP. Offensively, Boyd's pretty tough, sporting axes (always nice), surprisingly decent SPD growth (critical on a Fighter), 60% STR growth (great!), and a Fire affinity, with a whopping three Water supports for Offense/Defense (Brom or Mist probably being best) and a Titania support if he wants. Throw a SPD-boosting Band on him and he should be good to go.

Late-game he starts to lose a little bit of steam due to foot movement and his durability not holding up quite as much as it used to (his HP outpaces his DEF by quite a bit). But at least he has HP and Water supports. And he will hit very, very hard.

8/10

He can get a little fragile later on, but he's not nearly as fragile as you might initially figure and he's pretty decently bulky early on thanks to decent HP. Offensively, Boyd's pretty tough, sporting axes (always nice), surprisingly decent SPD growth (critical on a Fighter), 60% STR growth (great!), and a Fire affinity, with a whopping three Water supports for Offense/Defense (Brom or Mist probably being best) and a Titania support if he wants. Throw a SPD-boosting Band on him and he should be good to go.

Late-game he starts to lose a little bit of steam due to foot movement and his durability not holding up quite as much as it used to (his HP outpaces his DEF by quite a bit). But at least he has HP and Water supports. And he will hit very, very hard.

8/10

qft

The affinity makes me want to change his vote to a 6. Forgot about this. Geez I'm so stupid.

He's VERY strong, not terribly slow, no dreadfully has a great weapon type and oodles of availability.

9/10

+ 1 bias, because he's one of my favorites in the game.

10/10

...Okay, I know this is a bit of a stretch but pleeeeeeeease can I have this? I don't think it's terribly far from the average and I personally think he deserves it.

He isn't bound to get much speed with his 45% growth and most enemies are not slow later in the game. If your going to seriously use him, better have him use weapons that won't weigh him down. His not so good avoid due to not averaging more than 16.5 luck along with bad speed growth averaging no higher than 23.65 isn't worthy to rate him higher than this.

45% growth is good.

He's a footsie, but he's a footsie that can GO UP and MURDER. At 2-range. He's got something of a relatively shaky start (doesn't have Oscar's RAW MANLY CANTO-FED DURABILITY or Titania's FACERAPERY) but he gets going under his own steam pretty damn quickly.

He's probably the best footsie in the game for GOING UP and MURDERING, all things considered. And I really do like the guy, he's got a specific personality that appeals strongly to me.

I'm gonna go with a 9/10 after bias.

"Hi, at 20/1, I can match everyone's attack with Steel by using only a hand axe"

Well, he is an infantry unit, but anything he goes after will be crushed.

Comes early.

9/10, only thing that stops him from 9.5 is lack of horse.

Possibly the best foot unit in game, barring Reyson

"Hi, at 20/1, I can match everyone's attack with Steel by using only a hand axe"

Well, he is an infantry unit, but anything he goes after will be crushed.

Comes early.

9/10, only thing that stops him from 9.5 is lack of horse.

Possibly the best foot unit in game, barring Reyson

Reyson has wings = disqualified.

The best foot unit in the game.

His Attack Speed suffers early on, but that's fixable, and he has the HP to survive more hits. By the time he'd actually be in danger of dying, you have Rhys to heal him.

He's absolutely terrifying in battle, and once he can use Steel without AS loss, he just rapes everything. Access to 1-2 Range early on is also very helpful, since he and Titania are the only two that can use Hand Axes until:

A) Oscar promotes, assuming you give him axes

B) Kieran is recruited

Not a lot of competition.

8.75/10 because his issues early on are pretty bad. But once he gets past that he's one of your best units.

Boyd gets a solid set of points for being helpful in the first 1/3 of the game. But with his shitty spd, he isn't going to get useful for long. Especially since he never doubles hardly anything later in the game unless you induce favoritism. I would just advise to use him to weaken enemies. Nothing more.

you know

if your Boyd has troubling doubling later on in the game even though there's abundant BEXP to keep his SPD up to par

you've really only yourself to blame!

Anyway, 9/10; he's a very powerful unit, and the only real flaw I could hold against him is his lack of a mount.

you know

if your Boyd has troubling doubling later on in the game even though there's abundant BEXP to keep his SPD up to par

you've really only yourself to blame!

Anyway, 9/10; he's a very powerful unit, and the only real flaw I could hold against him is his lack of a mount.

That helps.

95% (85 + 10-point bias)

Boyd is an amazing combat unit...except that he doesn't have a horse.

Only thing that hurts with foot units is no Canto. Not like he needs a horse anyways.

8/10

He is pretty good, for an axe only user that is (ok fine he is good even when compared to non axe users, which means something coming from me). Has a lot of strength and enough speed. Doesn't have a horse though, so that annoys me a bit.