Rate the Unit, Day 8: Soren

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Shinon: 3

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Titania: 9.91

Your new name confuses me.

So, Soren. Your first offensive magic user. He's... squishy. Very, very squishy. Like, beyond redemption. He can consistently attack from 1~2 range, but his durability is lacking for most of the game. He's better than Ilyana, but once you get Tormod and Calill he's useless as all fuck. But earlygame chip?

3.5/10

I know I'll probably be killed by Soren fangirls, but I can't stand this guy. His personality is annoying, and he's not so good as a unit at first, either. dry.gif

His joining chapter is filled with melee units and a few archers (from what I remember, correct me if I'm wrong), so he can hide behind Gatrie or something and chip away at them. But if he gets attacked, adios Soren.

I don't really have much to say, since i barely even use him.

3/10, -.5 bias, 2.5/10

I prefer Ilyana (REXBOLT, BEATCH!), but he's pretty cool. Doubling is pretty easy with him, and that ludicrous Dodge bonus he gives Ike is nice (And, unlike Oscar, you aren't restricting him to hold him back). Wind magic isn't as good as in the second game, but it's not the worst (COUGHFireCOUGH).

He is a bit of a prick, though.

5/10 -1 bias

4/10

Soren is annoying. First of all, he is so fragile! I feel as if he will die if I bring him out into the battlefield. When he gains some speed he becomes very dodge-y but if he somehow gets hit, he has a good chance of not getting up again. He has the advantage of hitting 1-2 range. Also, his personality is just too annoying for my taste, so -1 bias for that.

4/10 -1 bias = 3/10

Wind magic isn't as good as in the second game, but it's not the worst (COUGHFireCOUGH).

What? I don't really get it... I thought wind IS the worst magic type in this game (well, save for light).

At any rate, 3.5/10 (2.5 after bias for being a damn prick). He's incredbily overrated to high heaven and back (and not just in this game, but that's beside the point). Virtually non-existent strength ensures he'll be weighed down by all but the lightest tomes. And maining (what I believe is) the worst magic type in PoR aside from light doesn't help... As an aside, I really do like mages, but Soren is not one of them.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Squishy but arrives at the wrong situation!

CH4? Really? In a chapter littered with so many freaky enemies and that paired with getting weighed down and not dealing that much damage? Oh, and IIRC he gets OHKO'd in his joining chapter which is something that you don't want to happen.

I am better off dealing with Ilyana (She can at least FRY DRAGONS!), Tormod (Hey, Pseudo-high MOV healer too!) or Calill (Instant Siege Tome BOMBING!) if I want damage.

He's only saved by one thing... Access to Ike support; which boosts his avoid; and his affinity Dark, which has part Avoid too will work well.

My verdict?

6/10

I like mages. I do not like Soren. I admit, it's a character/tier thing. If it was stats alone he'd probably be a 7 or 8, but I REALLY don't like his character and the bromance he has with Ike. Anyways, high magic, solid ranged attacking, and some evade, he can be quite good if raised up.

5 for having a really bumpy start with like no defense, but being able to gain a pretty solid offense and dodging skills with an Ike support. Also 1-2 range. Plus .5 for my bias towards the mage class and for being Soren.

Fairly fragile but always has 1-2 range, Thunder forges rock the house and he doesn't do too badly when raised. Plus he can provide a tasty second Support for Ike.

I think that's worth a 6/10 and he's my favorite Mage stat-wise in this game so =1 bias, 7/10!

6.0/10, like everyone in fe9 hes outclassed like shit and the fact that he's squishy and has 6 move doesn't do much for him. his start is weak and his end is as a glass cannon.

In my first play through, so far, I killed off Soren before the defend MistxRolf chapter. He can be my tactician for all I care.

Glass cannon with crappy magic type.

He is a jerk. An emo jerk. A gothic emo jerk. A fragile gothic emo jerk. Fuck you Soren.

4.5 - 1 bias, so 3.5.

Mages are unfortunately pretty downtrodden in FE9. Soren is fast, and that's cool, but his STR cuts into that and he doesn't actually gain as much MAG as you'd figure he should with a 60% growth, even on Fixed. He's also got the durability of tissue paper, shows up at the worst possible time for protecting him, and fancies the weakest magic type available. If you keep up with him he's okay and offensively strong and could be useful wearing out some high-DEF targets, but often your physical fighters have no problems just bashing through those themselves, so it's not that important or useful. He at least has a shot at early promotion staffbotting, I suppose. That alone might salvage him.

6/10

He has a very rough start and poor base magic, also 5 move sucks. But he does eventually pick up stat wise and his Ike support helps with his durability.

Now I love Soren but he's pretty much proof that 60% magic growth on an early joining Mage isn't overpowered or broken.

5.5/10

...I actually really like Soren. Yes he's tough to start of with, but eventually he becomes such a strong unit...in my game anyway. He has adequate defence and I do like his magic animation. I'm a bit hazy with the mechanics of FE9, but I swear he could get in three hits at times and he could completely obliterate physical units if he attacked first. That might count as cheating, thinking about it...

As a character, he adds something to the storyline as he's your typical over-sceptical strategist, which is exactly what a strategist is meant to be like. It's all about winning and losing rather than the people themselves.

So I'll give him 7/10.

Soren needs some time to grow, so he's not so hot in LTC runs, but in casual he's certainly usable. Even at base he's not completely horrible, since he doubles a fair number of things and most of your units aren't ORKOing either. Once his growths kick in he's a solid unit, and can even have good survivability if given an Ike support.

6.5/10, +1 bias because he's Ike's boyfriend for a total of 7.5/10

Eh, lesseee

-8 base attack

-Uses weak magic

-Overrated

-May not be getting Ike support

-Made of paper

But a 10/1 Staffbot Soren is better than Mist.

Oh wait, a gothic emo trap.

-1 because I don't like him

1/10

2.5/10, saving the 1s for real shit

Edited by The Joker

Eh, lesseee

-8 base attack

-Uses weak magic

-Overrated

-May not be getting Ike support

-Made of paper

But a 10/1 Staffbot Soren is better than Mist.

Oh wait, a gothic emo trap.

-1 because I don't like him

1/10

Nice try, but no. He has siege tome utility later on with innate adept dude. He has enough mag to ORKO shiharam and shave a turn. Siege tome utility also helps break doors in Chapter 27 and ORKO'ing the Chapter 22 boss. Plus, he's decent chip in earlygame. Idk about u, but thats worth much more than a 1/10

lol....Brace yourselves...

Soren, the tactician of the GMs and one of the smartest dudes on Tellius. (no, really.) May or may not have a thing for Ike.

Pros:

:awesome:

Early game mage.

Free Adept.

Omg that magic growth. Just omg.

Speed growth doesnt suck.

Staff utility.

Cons:

Shaky start.

Dat move...

Squishy.

That Ike support is contested.

I do not get why people prefer Ilyana over Soren. I just dont. If i recall, shes actually squishier and stuff. Tormod comes really late and Calill is lol. On average (since i use Soren like, all the times), hes got some pretty mad avoid after he gets going. Yeah he usually supports with Ike in my runs, but really, hes pretty quick after a while. What Soren does with a mere Heal staff is pretty cool too. Because of that high magic, he can like, totally spam that. He doesnt have great move though so he may lag behind some of the team. (This is where i use the boots though but thats just me...) He may need a bit of a push to get started but once he does...holy shit things die. Things...die. (There is nothing more beautiful than watching Soren double with a siege tome and then activate Adept. Fuck yeah....It happens... :awesome:)

7/10. 10/10 bias because omfg character development and i fucking love Soren so goddamn much. Haters gonna hate.

6/10 if he's so overrated then why is everyone giving him such a low score ? Seems like he's underrated if anything . He's a good Mage starts off crap but eventually turns out well , with good dodge and offense . He has staff utility after promotion . He's Ike support is also nice as others have mentioned . Overall he's a solid unit. -1 because I don't like him .

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

>black hair

>suddenly emo

Okay, I laughed. But no, his character is nothing like that of a stereotypical overly emotional teenager. He's more of a cold, hard realist that is willing to do whatever necessary in order to keep the mercenaries alive and profitable. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Wind may on the lower end of magic tomes in this game, but he has access to the others fairly early on, so I don't see the argument there. He's unbelievably frail early on, but you start off with a lot of viable meat shields to help him level up. His growth rates are that of a typical glass cannon, gaining magic and skill fast, while getting defense rarely. Once he gets going, he's not going to stop anytime soon. Supports with Ike add much appreciated Avoid, although I admit he will be competing for those supports.

In my opinion the best Mage/Sage in the game. 7.5/10 no bias because bias is dumb

PROS

-free adept

-high growths (MAG, SKL, SPD are all 10% high than Illyana's)

-supports with Ike

-availability

CONS

-rough start (common for characters who exist before Bexp)

-low durability (arent mages supposed to have low durability?)

-low STR slows him down, but his SPD growth makes up for this and seige tomes aside, his best offense will come in the for of forges with 1 weight.

Come on, he is definitely better than Rhys.

There is no competition for a deployment slot until Chapter 10, so he can definitely get a decent amount of Exp up to there. With a little Bexp, he can use the Chapter 10 master seal and become a staffbot with decent combat when there is no one to heal. I would think this would be much better than Rhys using heal or mend 2 or 3 times per chapter.

If we do use him for combat, he can grow and become incredibly powerful. Remember, Bexp does exist so he should be able to gain at least a level or two per Chapter.

7.5/10 - He is flexible and can make the healers obsolete.

Nice try, but no. He has siege tome utility later on with innate adept dude. He has enough mag to ORKO shiharam and shave a turn. Siege tome utility also helps break doors in Chapter 27 and ORKO'ing the Chapter 22 boss. Plus, he's decent chip in earlygame. Idk about u, but thats worth much more than a 1/10

... he can ORKO Shiharam? News to me! Tormod wasn't even capable of this with whatever stats he had, and I don't think you have a Bolting or a Blizzard by this point in the game. And even if you did, Siege destroys his Speed and Blizzard's x2 multiplier does nothing to help him. If you're talking up close, then that's not a good measure of how good Soren is ~_~ He can't do that to the Chapter 22 boss, either.

Also, my argument was based off of the fact that Adept is not reliable.

6/10 if he's so overrated then why is everyone giving him such a low score ? Seems like he's underrated if anything .
Believe it not, everyone who thinks Soren is good doesn't really post in this thread.