Messing around with the Triangle Attack

shadowofchaos

Here were Blazer's notes for FE7:

Notes on Triangle Attack:

Character Editor Nightmare Module:

Ability 3, 0x20 is Triangle Attack. This is for Pegasus Knights. There is another triangle attack option, 0x40. I am almost certain this is leftover from FE6 as the armor knight triangle 'skill' is 0x40 in FE6. However, this triangle attack could probably be used for something else too.

0xC9F130 - Triangle Attack Convos

Character, chapter (0x43=any), Text ID, Trigger ID

(Info thanks to NL)

Should be able to expand to allow more triangle attack convos, for say, alternate combinations of triangle attacks (like if there are 4 pegasus knights) or usage of the currently unused triangle attack skill (just add more convos, set the skills, and if the game already has the code there [just unused], then it should work).

Triangle Attack Graphics- Start around image 495 (+ or - a few) in GBAGE

0x2E5CB8 - First Graphic

Order:

FalcoKnight (Lance) (alternate)

FalcoKnight (Lance) (normal)

FalcoKnight (Sword)

FalcoKnight (Lance) (alternate) (2nd sheet)

FalcoKnight (Lance) (normal) (2nd sheet)

FalcoKnight (Sword) (2nd sheet)

ArmorKnight (Standing)

General (Spear) (Standing)

General (Axe) (Standing)

General (Handaxe) (Standing)

ArmorKnight (Attack Motion)

General (Spear) (Attack Motion)

General (Axe) (Attack Motion)

General (Handaxe) (Attack Motion)

Pointer to ArmorKnight graphics at 0x6AAC8 in ASM

This means that they are probably already coded into the game and leftover from FE6, but simply unused (most likely since there aren't 3 armor knights to do it with). This also means that it's likely that one can use the Armor Knight triangle if they just set it up.

Data continues right after the final graphics (i.e. there is more graphics right after the General handaxe graphics) meaning miscellaneous data (animation and whatever else) is probably both before and in the first megabyte's span of data.

0x2E58BC - compressed data right before graphics. Slight resemblance to TSA at first but then diverts from this and shows signs of graphical data (0xF0 0x01, which is in essence blank graphics). Idk if it has to do with anything.

In any case the only way to tell how this works and what is relevant or not is through ASM. One could edit the existing graphics, triangle convos, who has the skills, and test the usage of the unused [once used as FE6's armor knight] triangle attack.

For palettes, I believe that the palette of the surrounding characters is used... that is, use the battle reference module to get the palette of the Pegasus Knight sisters. I tested this and it loads fine and looks great.

Farina's Palette- 0xFDA00C

Fiora's Palette- 0xFDA07C

Florina's Palette- 0xFDA0EC

Because of this:

Well, while messing with it... here's the offsets for FE6:

Pointer to ArmorKnight graphics at 0x5EB84 in ASM. The pointer before it seems to screw up the Knight Triangle attack graphics. Seems like it's the commands/OAM data. I wonder what it'll take to flip it.

It seems like messing with that pointer... gets rid of the FIRST Knight Triangle attack display...

And messing with the pointer at 8606B41 in the memory viewer (so I don't screw up the ROM permanently, 0x606B41 in a Hex editor) leads to a wing clip:

Wingclip.png

Just gonna continue messing with this. I actually want to flip it for an Enemy Triangle attack for the critical collection redo I'm doing.

Pointer to the first Falconknight Graphics at 0x5E910.

Messing with the pointer at: 0x606338 messes up the Pegasus Triangle attack as it begins. Right after the battle quote.

Interesting... there's a pointer at 0x5E594 (14 63 60 08) that points to 0x606314... which is near that... maybe that's the start of the data?

And messing with any of the pointers before that doesn't screw up the Pegasus triangle attack... HMMMM...

Changing 0x60631C's 03 to a 0x02 or 0x04 flips the Pegasus triangle attack, HOWEVER, it seems the startup is invisible... still messing with it.

0x2024534 is the memory that keeps 0x8606314 during the triangle attack loading. It really doesn't matter aftewards though. The one that causes freezes is 0x2024538 if you mess with it.

Changing 0x60631C's 03 to a 0x02 or 0x04 flips the Pegasus triangle attack, HOWEVER...

Which happens to have "1C 63 60 08" (60631C) on it during loading... HMMMMMMM.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Breaking the game even more... geez.

Putting a 0x01 at 8606324 makes the triangle attack double... and flipping the first one with the method before makes it... well... a Pentagon attack.

It's funny because fire emblem is square-grid based.

(Can we get that same video but at one fifth speed?)

Think of it like this, I guess:

X = Target

A = Allies

I = Initiator

A I A

A X A

Or any variation of it. XD

Think of it like this, I guess:

X = Target

A = Allies

I = Initiator

A I A

A X A

Or any variation of it. XD

My...god...Rey if you should totally make this actually work. This would be great. If possible, make it do 5x damage. This would be AMAZING.