Automatic tile changes in FE7

Nintenlord

I'm pretty confident I've uncovered how FE7 (and possibly FE6 and FE8 assuming they use same system) decides which tile change to use with villages and doors and such. The algorithm is simple, the game goes through all the tile changes in the chapter and the last tile change that contains the the location event coordinate is the tile change to be activated. This has few important consequences:

1. With villages, the gate closing is always contained in the village ruining. Therefore, the gate closing change will ALWAYS have to be after the village ruining change, otherwise the game will always pick the ruining tile change. This also explains why the destruction event is always one tile above the gate, otherwise the game would pick the wrong tile change.
  2. If you are having trouble activating the correct tile change, make sure you have the correct coordinates and sizes with the changes.
  3. In general, keep more mundane tile changes in the end of the list while more unique changes should be near the top of the list.
  4. Be extra careful with overlapping tile changes and experiment with different orders if the game is activating the wrong changes.

Here's the routine that decides which tilechange to use when it is automatic, used on both player and enemy phase:

0802BD0C
push {r4-r6,lr}
add r5, r0, #0x0		@r0 = x-coordinate of event
add r4, r1, #0x0		@r1 = y-coordinate of event
mov r6, #0x1
neg r6, r6
ldr r0, =$202bbf8
ldrb r0, [r0, #0xe] 	@loads current chapter ID
lsl r0, r0, #0x18
asr r0, r0, #0x18
bl $315a0 			@gets pointer to map changes of current chapter
add r1, r0, #0x0
cmp r1, #0x0
beq end				@skip if there is none
b label1

loop1:
ldrb r0, [r1, #0x1]	@X-coord
cmp r5, r0
blt label2
ldrb r2, [r1, #0x2]	@Y-coord
cmp r4, r2
blt label2
ldrb r3, [r1, #0x3]	@width
add r0, r3, r0
sub r0, #0x1
cmp r0, r5
blt label2
ldrb r3, [r1, #0x4] @height
add r0, r3, r2
sub r0, #0x1
cmp r0, r4
blt label2

mov r6, #0x0
ldrh r6, [r1, r6]	@load current tile change ID
label2:
add r1, #0xc 		@go to next tile change
label1:
mov r0, #0x0
ldrh r0, [r1, r0]	@is actually load signed byte
cmp r0, #0x0
bge loop1
end:
add r0, r6, #0x0
pop {r4-r6,pc}		@return -1 if no right map changes exist for chapter,
					@else returns last tile change ID to be right

This routine is used before the event is actually executed. Also, this routine limits the amount of map changes to 128 due to treating the ID as signed byte.

Edited by Vergil

Something that I've always wondered how to do is the tile change for broken walls.

Do you just do what you said here? Have a tile change ready for the coordinate/s affected?

If that's how you should do it for broken walls I'm happy.

But what you said sounds good, it lets you use less space for your tile changes, I think you were trying to say that you won't need separate events. For example you won't need 0x07 for the village gate closing and 0x08 for destroying the village, you could use both in 0x07, right?

How come you've never made a long hack even though you're one of (if not the) best hackers on the english part of the internet?

Edited by C7K

Something that I've always wondered how to do is the tile change for broken walls.

Do you just do what you said here? Have a tile change ready for the coordinate/s affected?

If that's how you should do it for broken walls I'm happy.

Broken walls are automatic as in they don't have any events associated with them as far as I know. It probably uses this same method to pick right tile change for wall breaking too.

But what you said sounds good, it lets you use less space for your tile changes, I think you were trying to say that you won't need separate events. For example you won't need 0x07 for the village gate closing and 0x08 for destroying the village, you could use both in 0x07, right?

You do need to use separate events for both village saving and destroying, but you also need to give them both the same event ID. That is how the game does it. If you use my Event Assembler, Village macro will do both events properly.

How come you've never made a long hack even though you're one of (if not the) best hackers on the english part of the internet?

I don't just want to make hack for the sake of making it, I want to make something good. And I haven't gotten any idea for a long hack worth making.

Broken walls are automatic as in they don't have any events associated with them as far as I know. It probably uses this same method to pick right tile change for wall breaking too.

But the tile changes will be triggered if you have a tile change for that coordinate, am I right?

I don't just want to make hack for the sake of making it, I want to make something good. And I haven't gotten any idea for a long hack worth making.

I think Nintenlord Saga is good, it had humour. I also tried Athos mode, and it was also good (even though there was only one chapter). So, I think that what you've made is really good. But if you still have to find a good story, then that's okay, don't try to make something you don't think is good.

Edited by C7K

But the tile changes will be triggered if you have a tile change for that coordinate, am I right?

The tile change will be triggered if it is the last tile change to contain the position of the event.