Rate the Unit, Day 21: Sothe

PKL

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.154

Brom: 2.32

Shinon: 3

Volke : 4.824

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Mordecai: 6.547

Zihark: 6.65

Lethe: 6.75

Nephenee: 6.79

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Kieran: 9.231

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

2/10 - Volke outclasses him in every way possible, so he can't be worth any more than a 4 at the best. Still, he has thief utility, which proves useful for some chapters (the boat one with all the chests comes to mind) if you can't manage get Volke to loot all the chests, so he's not worthless. His combat is pretty much nonexistant, though, due to crappy weapon type and no promotion. Oh well.

Sothe, that little scalawag that stowed away on Ike and Nasir's ship. Looking for someone close to him.

Pros:

Thief utility.

Growths are cray cray with that Blossom.

Cons:

:facepalm:

Cannot even promote.

Bases are pretty ehh.

Blossom halves experience.

Super frail.

Combat is a joke.

Dueagh. This is the one guy who got SUPER AMAZING in the sequel but is really a pile of dung in this game. Taking off Blossom is actually A BAD IDEA if you want to do transfers. His bases in RD will be much worse than the defaults. So unless you are going for one of those Perfect Transfer runs, its probably best to forget Sothe exists on the team. He really cant fight because if enemies even look at him funny, he will die. That and knives. He can have some pretty cool growths with that Blossom but ehh...

Sothe can however loot shit. Probably not much enemy stealing due to that strength base but he can do chest and desert looting. That is if Volke isnt doing it or you just somehow like Sothe more or whatever. So hes not ENTIRELY worthless but he is probably the worst unit in the game. Surrounded by badasses and a guy who can do his job better. Poor Sothe. At least you kinda rock in the sequel.

1.5/10.

^

Stated above and...

Without Blossom, Bonus EXP, he won't be more than average at most.

NM

4/10

HM

4/10

Edited by リンダ

0/10

Okay. I won't say 'Volke outclasses him in every way possible' buuuuut.... He doesn't even join until later in the game, all he can do is steal, and while I gave Volke a higher rating, Volke as the advantage of actually being ABLE to steal things in the first place! You need strength higher than the items weight and be faster than them. Sothe joins with only 5 STR. Yea. That means most 'serious' stealing is going to need him to level up a bit. I think he even needs a level-up or two to get the physic staffs (I'm not sure). Unless you just HAVE to steal tomes or slim weapons/iron bows, he's pretty much useless until you invest points into him just to get him doing the only thing that you would even field him for! Oh. And base-level Ilyana has as much HP and only 1 less DEF than him. When you're defenses are comparable to a mage so closely and you're a unit who has to get up close and personal to do his job, something's bound to go wrong.

Oh. And Volke's better at everything he can do! Plus... He gets Micaiah.

1/10 -1 for getting Micaiah, so 0/10 overall

Edited by Snowy_One

Sothe can at least be deployed in chapter 13 to get some chests, but that's probably all he'll be doing. His growths are great, but he's locked to the shittyness of knives. Not to mention we're already using Volke, who's WAY more durable.

2.5/10

2/10 If you aren't going to transfer, 5/10 if you are going to transfer on Hard, 6/10 if you plan on transferring from Normal Mode.

With use of bonus exp, I got him to cap every stat but Luck, which would be amazing if he could promote. It was great however when I got RD, meaning I got an extremely powerful unit that early. When considering him only in the context of PoR, he's only good for picking locks and finding stuff in the desert.

I won't be giving him a score, since Sothe really depends on your purpose and play-style. His best use even over free thief utility is transfers, just because Blossom is haxorz here. He's not worth the training on Fixed Mode (which we are rating), but very much so on Random mode where he can get 6-8 stat level ups easily and constantly. Alternating between the Knight/Wyvern and Pegasus/Priest will help in raising the stats he needs work with. An HP giving band is also a good option. I always use both thieves (since there are weapons Sothe can't steal near endgame), but ditch Sothe after chapter 16. His bases aren't that good for the time he arrives. If you want to train him, you need to give him around 3 levels of BExp just so the ravens don't double him (depending on your RNG luck).

What really hurts him is that even without a promotion, his caps are the regular 20's. If his Str and Spd caps were at least 25, and stilettos more common/buy-able earlier, he would have been useful and even endgame material. But as it stands, he's not worth the use if you are not playing for a transfer. That is, unless you want to save a 1000G on horse insurance chest picking.

Also, I am seeing the parallels between this and the RD thread. Yesterday was Zihark on both, and today it is Sothe and Fiona.

What where they thinking when making Sothe? His growths are great and all even without blossom, but he's knife locked and can't even promote. He still has his uses for being a thief.

2 + 1 bias point since at least he has an actual personality here unlike his older self. In radiant dawn he's just an Ike fanboy and Micky's pet.

3/10

PROS:

-thief utility

CONS:

-bad stats

-Blossom sucks on fixed mode

-doesnt promote

-shitty support list

Lets face it, Sothe is terrible. On Random mode he has amazing growths but this is fixed mode... His only real use is getting treasure in the desert. He needs a ton of Bexp to even get a high enough attack to hurt anything that isnt a mage, priest or a door. And he just opens doors anyway...

1/10 - Sadly, there a few episodes (Chapters) where Batman (Volke) needs his Robin (Sothe)

1.5/10. Thief utility is about all he's got going for him.

What was IS thinking making him a main character in FE10?

I'd say the better question is what were they thinking making him so useless in this game?

I won't be giving him a score, since Sothe really depends on your purpose and play-style. His best use even over free thief utility is transfers, just because Blossom is haxorz here. He's not worth the training on Fixed Mode (which we are rating), but very much so on Random mode where he can get 6-8 stat level ups easily and constantly. Alternating between the Knight/Wyvern and Pegasus/Priest will help in raising the stats he needs work with. An HP giving band is also a good option. I always use both thieves (since there are weapons Sothe can't steal near endgame), but ditch Sothe after chapter 16. His bases aren't that good for the time he arrives. If you want to train him, you need to give him around 3 levels of BExp just so the ravens don't double him (depending on your RNG luck).

What really hurts him is that even without a promotion, his caps are the regular 20's. If his Str and Spd caps were at least 25, and stilettos more common/buy-able earlier, he would have been useful and even endgame material. But as it stands, he's not worth the use if you are not playing for a transfer. That is, unless you want to save a 1000G on horse insurance chest picking.

I disagree that raising Sothe for the sake of transfers is anywhere near smart... That's too much BEXP down the drain just to have him BARELY turn out better than his "normal" RD incarnation.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I use him in Chapter 13, then he usually sees the bench. His potential is weak, his combat will never be good anyway due to class and caps, and he's a bad support. All around pointless, except for general Thief stuff, and he doesn't charge you for it at least. But if that's your reason for using him over Volke, it's a pretty weak one.

2.5/10