Dialogue changes (spoilers)

VincentASM

Before the English release of FE10 I had already read pretty much all of the Japanese text. I was actually quite surprised at how different some of the dialogue is in the English version.

The jokes (eg. "Father of Sothe's children") are bearable but, call me a purist or whatever, I was kind of annoyed how they changed certain dialogue and altered/omitted a whole bunch of random information.

To start off, is perhaps a change that was done for the better. More specifically the Ike vs Black Knight battle conversation in Part 3 Chapter 7:

English version

Ike: So, you are alive. Somehow, I knew it wasn't over yet.

Black Knight: Of course it wasn't over. You were a boy trying to live up to the memory of the greatest swordsman in history.

Ike: And yet, I was the one who walked out of the castle that day.

Black Knight: You have your father to thank for that. When you told me that he had crippled himself, I realized that I had never fought him at all, merely his shadow.

Ike: What are you getting at?

Black Knight: I saw immediately that you were not your father's equal, but that one day you might be. So I did the only thing I could to keep you alive... I let you win.

Ike: ...You did, didn't you? I've relived that fight so many times... How could I not have seen it before?

Black Knight: You were not yet capable of seeing it. But I had to let you live, so that you could continue to train and perhaps one day be worthy of Gawain's legacy. My armor's blessing is gone, let us see if that day is today.

Ike: I promise you that it will be. Begin.

Japanese version

Ike: So you are still alive...

Black Knight: You thought you could kill me with that level of swordsmanship?

Ike: ! What do you mean by that!?

Black Knight: ......Let me tell you something. When I fought your father, Gawain, and when I fought you I wasn't the same.

Ike: Are you saying you're different people?

Black Knight: I didn't mean that. But... due to problems with my teleportation only my spirit and armour arrived, and not my body... so my fighting ability was greatly reduced.

Ike: ...What are you now?

Black Knight: Body... So that means, I'm different from when we fought at Nados Castle. Also, let me tell you some more good news. My armour's blessing... was lost at the end of our previous battle.

Ike: So that means, even with normal weapons, I can harm you. To me that is definitely good news. Since then 3 years have passed- I'm different from back then. Come!!

Both are pretty similar, yet quite different.

In the English version the Black Knight is pretty much saying "You won, but I let you win", while the Japanese version has him say "You won, but not against the real me".

I'm thinking that they thought the whole deal about the warp powder malfunctioning was incredibly corny (especially as a get out), so they altered it.

Next is something that I noticed after a few GameFAQ members complained of Micaiah's lack of sorrow regarding the Black Knight's death, in Part 4 Endgame-2:

English version

Yune: Whose... Whose memory was that? It's just one of the many... They're swirling everywhere... The tower resonates with their strength. But... who is it? Who do they belong to? ... There is such sadness... Zelgius met someone, one lonely soul calling out to another...

Yune: But he's no longer with us. Zelgius is gone...

Yune: And now the soul that remains is once more alone...

(Credits to Ranulf)

Japanese version

Yune: ...Such a pitiful encounter, one lonely soul calling out to another lonely soul... Micaiah, you feel sad too? That knight... treated you warmly... If he was by our side, he would have been a reliable companion...

Yune: ....But, he's no longer here. Zelgius is no longer... here...

Yune: The next soul... is also a lonely one...

I'm pretty sure you can see the difference. It was obvious that Micaiah had some feelings for the Black Knight, be it gratefulness or whatever. However the English version has her unphased. Of course, it was Yune that was talking, but that's not an excuse since the Japanese version did it fine.

I haven't played the English version yet so I don't know of any more major dialogue changes. However, there were some minor things that I noticed:

Herons of Serenes: In the class description and glossary, the references to Reyson, Rafiel, Leanne and Lillia being the #th prince/princess of Serenes was removed. For those interested, Rafiel was the first prince, Reyson the third prince, Leanne the fourth princess and Lillia the third princess.

The Three Heroes: This was a mistranslation, which I'm not sure anybody cares about. The English version states that Soan was the second king of the beast tribe Laguz. However, he was actually the second king of Begnion.

Three Brothers: I'm not 100% sure about this, but I am quite sure. In the English version it is stated that Rolf is not Oscar/Boyd's real brother and hence their step brother. However in the Japanese version, there is no such reference (unless it was implied). Also the official FE9 site stated that Oscar, Boyd and Rolf shared the same father, so they are all half-brothers.

Lion-Blooded: This is referring to Stefan's title in the Epilogue. I found this quite misleading, because it implies bravery. The Japanese version had his title as "Lion's descendant", which tells you what type of Branded he is...

Heart of Fire: Check the glossary. Enough said >___

???: To be added later. I was disappointed that this reference was removed.

???: Ditto above.

Finally, if anybody knows of other changes or anything suspicious, please inform me ^^

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered why Micaiah showed no sympathy toward "Sir Knight" or even Yune making reference to it. Now I see that it was a part of the Japanese dialogue, thank you for sharing that.

I confirm that I remember reading that dialogue exchanged between Ike, Mist, Lethe, and Lyre.

The first ruler was Altina and her husband (who wasn't Lehran).

Soan then became the second. Afterwards the majority of the rulers were Laguz (until the Apostle was recognised).

A human was named as the first king, although the laguz's superior strength led us to rule more often than not

Soan being the second ruler is from the Three Heroes description in the glossary. Since the English version is wrong, I'll quote the Japanese description.

女神と共に邪神を倒したという英雄たちのこと。後にベクニオン初代国王となったベオクの女性オルティナ、二代国王となった獣牙族のソーン、ゴルドア王デギンハンザーの3人。
The three heroes who defeated the Dark God together with the Goddess. The three were Altina, a female Beorc who later became the first ruler of Begnion, Soan, the beast laguz who became the second ruler, and Dheginsea, the king of Goldoa.

Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at most of the changes. ^^; Here's one that comes to mind easily, from 3-f..

Ike: Do you think we'll be safe if the apostle wakes up the dark god?

Ike: Didn't we fight a major war to prevent that from happening a few years ago?

Tibarn: I don't know. Are we safe now?

Tibarn: But I did always wonder why the Heron Queen Lillia passed down the galdr of release.

Tibarn: She must have left it behind for a good reason. I'm willing to bet my life on it.

I don't have the Japanese script and my Japanese is poor to begin with, so I don't know what that version of this scene is, but wasn't Lillia one of the princesses, not the queen? <_<

I think the scene between Elincia, Tibarn, and Bastian differed a bit as well, but I can't recall for certain.

And I have a question; I was told Tibarn is older than Janaff and Ulki, but in the Birds Info Conversation Janaff makes it sound like all three are around the same age. Is it the same in the Japanese version? Or is that bad translation/grammar? :blink:

o__o

Yeah, she was just a princess. I just checked that part of the script as well. It's quite easy to get queen and princess mixed up, since they have the same two Kanji, but ordered differently.

If you're referring to Janaff's second-to-last speech, I'm pretty sure it's the same in the Japanese version ^^

Edited by VincentASM

Under Base Conversation "Heather" in Part II - Chapter 2. Heather wants to see Queen Elincia personally, and Lucia requests for Brom and Nephenee to accompany her to Felirae. And Heather immediately joins in after stating she is "Nephenee's friend" and her skills would be useful. But there are no conversation of them joining Ike, only for joining Elincia.

I know that AT LEAST Heather had a reason to join the Greil Mercenaries, I remember that someone said in the Japanese version she joined because of all the cute girls.

Hmm, interesting, they did translate Micaiah's "feelings". However there was a probably a bug, because it's not shown.

Micaiah. You're sad, too, aren't you? You wished that the Black Knight could have stayed by your side.

(This appears between the first and second lines.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on 4-2 ATM, so mistakes are found as I go.

The PAL Trueblade description states "...wield Astra." However, for some moronic reason, Astra has been renamed Astrum.

Did they fix the "Muarim is Ike's sister" thing in the European version?

haha. THAT was funny. If they didn't catch that... then wow