Help a noob plz

PKL

So, I want to add turn based reinforcements into my FE8 lunatic patch. Asked ppl around how to do it and I do kinda get what I need to do. I just dont know exactly what Im supposed to write. Let's say, I want to add a Thief reinforcement in Chapter 3 FE8 that spawns in the stairs in turn 7...I need to make a new unit slot for the reinforcement (how?) and its data and I have to make a turn based event that tells the game to load said unit in that specific turn. I've already located where UNITS and Turnbasedevents are in the ch3 events but I would like to know what Im supposed to write and how I make a new unit slot for the chapter.

EDIT: Also, how do I change stat bonuses gained from an item? Ive located the stat bonuses editor, but I dont understand what Im supposed to do either. I wanted to change Sieglinde and Siegmund to give +2 in every stat when equipped.

EDIT 2: sorry, but another noob question: How do I make new items?

Edited by CR-S0I

read over Arch's event tutorial specifically the turn events section it tells exactly how to add turn based reinforcements.

there should be a nightmare module called stat bonus editor. you open the module, select the pointer and fill in the bonuses you want more the corresponding stats. write down the pointer you chose and save/apply changes. switch over to the item editor module and scroll down to where it say stat bonuses pointer, thats where you put the pointer you wrote down.

you can make new items in the item editor module

For your first question, you'll have to use Events. There's really no way around it. To make it really easy, you can disassemble Ch.3, add your turn based reinforcements (Arch's tutorials will show you how), and then assemble. But you'll need a hex editor to do this.

Second question, use the stat bonuses editor module. It's in the item editor folder. Make your stat changes, copy the offset at the top, find your item in the item editor, and then change the stat bonuses offset to the offset from the stat bonuses editor.

Third question, to make new items you can expand the item array. But I'm not the one to ask how to do this because I'm not too sure myself. But this also requires a Hex Editor.

Generally speaking, you'd mostly be doing what this tutorial does:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26206

and a bit more. Make sure you add the events to empty space, as the original event don't have any extra room for your event. Repointing TURN events is pretty much required.

For your first question, you'll have to use Events. There's really no way around it. To make it really easy, you can disassemble Ch.3, add your turn based reinforcements (Arch's tutorials will show you how), and then assemble. But you'll need a hex editor to do this.

you could probably make do without one if you know how to read the FEditor docs and can find where the free space is

Third question, to make new items you can expand the item array. But I'm not the one to ask how to do this because I'm not too sure myself. But this also requires a Hex Editor.

BASICALLY what you do is this (using FE7 as the example but the process should be exactly the same)

FIND THE OFFSET of the item table (0xBE222C)

COUNT the number of entries (153)

DISCOVER the size of one entry (36)

COPY a block of hex from the offset of the item table that is # of entries * size bytes big (in this case, it's 153*36 = 0x1584)

FIND somewhere word-aligned (offset ends with 0, 4, 8 or C) and PASTE this entire block (make sure to overwrite instead of insert)

At the end of this block should be more free space

You can then create your new entries in there.

THE FINAL STEP is to replace all instances of the pointer to the original item table (in this case, 2C 22 BE 08) and REPLACE it with a pointer to the new item table.

This trick will only expand the item table to 255 entries, however.

I'm writing a tool that will do it for you at the moment but it'll take a while.

So, I saw arch's tutorial, followed the steps, mostly. I tried putting a thief reinforcement that spawns in turn 3 EP, but it didnt work.

Here's the events:

label30:

UNIT 0x2E 0x0D 0x6B 0xD [4,Enemy,False] [12,2] DropItem 0x00 0x02 [0x03,0x6A,0x6B,0x0]

UNIT

//The next line is for re-assembling purposes. Do not delete!

MESSAGE Original ending offset is $8B4834 and the new ending offset is CURRENTOFFSET

ORG $9E8984

TurnBasedEvents:

TURN 0x7 label15 [1,1] 0x4

TURN 0x8 label16 [2,2] 0x0

TURN label30 [3,3] 0x0

AFEV

What do I need to put next to turn in the bolded line? Am I even doing it right by putting a new label? Oh God, Im so bad at this.

Edited by CR-S0I

No, that's not it. You want to have the TURN line point to an event which does a LOU1. Like this:

TurnBasedEvents:
TURN SpawnThief [3,3] 0x0/*Tells the game to go to the event "SpawnThief"*/

SpawnThief:
LOU1 ThiefReinforcement/*Tells the game to load the unit group called "ThiefReinforcement"*/
ENUN

ThiefReinforcement:/*The unit group, "ThiefReinforcement"*/
UNIT 0x2E 0x0D 0x6B 0xD [4,Enemy,False] [12,2] DropItem 0x00 0x02 [0x03,0x6A,0x6B,0x0]
UNIT Empty

By the way, add this at the start of your event file:

#include EAstdlib.event

That way you can just type "IronSword" instead of 0x03 and the EA will read it the same.

No it doesn't.

FE6:
  LOU1 *Unit pointer* 
 FE7:
  LOU1 *Unit pointer* 

Loads units.

Parameters:
   Unit pointer = Pointer to UNIT codes to load.

FE6:
  LOU2 *Unit pointer* 
 FE7:
  LOU2 *Unit pointer* 

Loads units.

Parameters:
   Unit pointer = Pointer to UNIT codes to load.

FE7:
  LOUMODE1 *ENM Unit pointer* *EHM Unit pointer* *HNM Unit pointer* *HHM Unit pointer* 

Loads separate unit on separate modes.

Parameters:
   ENM Unit pointer = Units to load in Eliwood Normal mode.
   EHM Unit pointer = Units to load in Eliwood Hard mode.
   HNM Unit pointer = Units to load in Hector Normal mode.
   HHM Unit pointer = Units to load in Hector Hard mode.

FE7:
  LOUMODE2 *ENM Unit pointer* *EHM Unit pointer* *HNM Unit pointer* *HHM Unit pointer* 

Loads separate unit on separate modes.

Parameters:
   ENM Unit pointer = Units to load in Eliwood Normal mode.
   EHM Unit pointer = Units to load in Eliwood Hard mode.
   HNM Unit pointer = Units to load in Hector Normal mode.
   HHM Unit pointer = Units to load in Hector Hard mode.

FE7:
  LOEV Character Class [Position X, Position Y] 

Loads a unit.

Parameters:
   Character = Character to load.
   Class = Class of the unit to load.
   Position = Position to load the unit to.

FE7:
  LOUFILTERED Value Pointer 

Loads units if the filter allows it.

Parameters:
   Value = Filter value.
   Pointer = Pointer to UNIT codes to load.

FE7:
  LOUFILTERED2 Value Pointer 

Loads units if the filter allows it.

Parameters:
   Value = Filter value.
   Pointer = Pointer to UNIT codes to load.

FE8 has codes _LOAD1, _LOAD2, _LOAD3, which have first a parameter, then pointer to units.

Edited by Nintenlord