Burning Hackery

Crimson Red

Resources available for hacking. If you need any help working anything of mine specifically or if it's missing who to credit etc. let me know. Don't comment on like, programs totally not by me, like FEditor Adv or the Event Assembler, though.

This page doesn't include lists of my hacks or some of my other scattered crap that I can't be bothered to find/probably isn't worth finding.

Tutorials

Ultimate Tutorial

General Resources

I update these once in a while with new stuff. Compilations made by various people. Contact me if you want to make a change or addition.

Nightmare Module Downloads

Utilies & Tools

Patch Directory

Translation Patches

Emulators

Patching Utilities

Save Games

Documentation

Miscellaneous Resources

Note: All are NLWO.

Archaic Version of FEditor Adv

Battle Background TSA

VERY BETA FE12 Editors

Battle Animations

Note: I lost most of my animations in a hard-drive wipe. Also, all animations are NLWO (at least by me), but you can edit and redistribute them freely if you give credit to the original creators (which USUALLY isn't just me, so do read the README's and watch your credits).

Enigma (Sword)

Fire Dragon (Breath) (No Transformation)

Link (Sword)

Pupil Fix

Troubadour (F) with Sword

Vaati (Magic)

Blank Animation

Spell Animations

Aqua Edge

Ground Dasher (Outdated)

Light Arrow | P

Meteor

Shaver (Outdated, I Think)

Starlight

Swarm

Assembly Hacks

Note: I do not guarantee support for any Assembly hack, but you're free to ask for it if you need it. I'm just saying, don't bitch at me if it doesn't work the way you wanted, or at all.

Also, I'm not a REAL ASM hacker. I just do random shit knowing what little I know. So don't point out how bad or sloppy or shitty my ASM hacks are unless you just like unnecessarily putting down others (in which case go ahead and feed your ego); I already know the hacks are complete crap but I'm a nub so if they work I'm like "o hey dey work datz so coolz!" and don't care about anything else. :P

Also, most of these hacks (if not all of them) are made for Fire Emblem 7 and use specific offsets that might have changed data there (or perhaps no data, if it's an expanded part of the ROM, which it often is)--that's why if they're just blindly inserted into your game, they probably either won't work, or will overwrite important data that will make something ELSE not work. They're made for specific hacks so making them support other things is kind of difficult and I don't have that time etc.

And, for the above reasons, I'm not going to post the actual hacks. I'll list them off and if they sound interesting to you, I can give you the ASM or the .dmp (think "raw hex data") and tell you how to work them, but I don't want to spend time trying to make every hack easy to implement when there's a good chance most of them won't need to be implemented outside the original hack they were made for etc.

Lastly, you can request whatever hacks you want, but unless they're purposeful hacks within my capability (which is very, VERY limited) and for a good cause and not some piece of work that no one has ever heard of, there's almost no chance I'm going to do it. But I'm not going to censor you either. Just don't expect much if you don't have some project that will make it worth making or some other great reason for me to spend time hacking not that these take that long.

2.5x Critical Damage Hack - alters critical hits to do 2.5x damage. Can be changed to almost any positive value within reason...

Allegiance Palette Swap - sets chapters after chapter 0x43 in FE7 to use different palettes for things like map sprites, the player phase graphics, the battle template, etc.--includes multiple hacks that set these palettes differently. The condition for these can be different but it's originally intended for TLP's post-game (most people never even have to expand their # of chapters in a hack >_>').

Angelic Wing Hack - 3 parts; one is the original code which just checks for some conditions before changing the class of the active character to one with higher caps, with the idea being that it will work like FE13's "Limit Breaker" item. The other 2 are the "checker" and "effect" ASM routines, i.e. edited versions of the 1st one to work with the item effect expansion hack. Super complicated and requires a lot of outside work (i.e. non-ASM stuff) for it to even work.

ASM Heal - heals the first unit in the party for their max health. Simple. Can easily be changed to do the active character or another specific character slot.

Character Changing Hack - lets you change one character into another as well as change their inventory. You have to make lists of characters to change, what to change them to, and what items they should have afterwards. Kind of like a custom version of what happens in FE7's Lyn's Mode.

Character Forcer Hack Edit - changes how NL's character forcer hack works so that if the chapter is 0x54, it forces the character value at 0x0202BC19--and it also includes a hack which stores the value of the active character at 0x0202BC19, the idea being that a unit will enter a place, and in the next chapter, whoever entered it will be forced for that chapter. It also makes it so that the main characters are no longer forced for all chapters and must be manually forced.

Concoction Item Hack - a small little hack to make an alternate version of the vulnerary which heals 20HP (IIRC the Concoction in FE10 heals 10 more HP than the vulnerary as well, so the basic idea is there). You can change the value to whatever you want but you have to implement it through item hacking (which is harder than this hack itself >_>').

Custom Item Checker - a very generic code which outlines how the conditions for an item are checked and outputted so the game knows whether they have been met or not.

Enemy Critical Buff Hack - literally just buffs all the enemy units so they have the critical buff.

Fortify Forcer - a very specific hack which codes it so that the Fortify for a certain unit doesn't run out and that 3 other units will have their HP set to 1. What this does (in conjunction with some events and some graphic manipulation to make the 3 units invisible) is make the unit use their Fortify staff after this ASM hack is activated as the AI only uses it if there are 3 or more units who have taken significant damage.

Gradual Stat Increaser - the hack I used in The Arc of Time to increase enemy level and stats by 1 every turn.

Hector Hard Mode Hack - just forces the mode to be Hector Hard Mode, the idea being that one can then use the "bonus levels" feature in the Chapter Data Editor.

Mega Berserk Hack - just makes all (or a certain # I suppose) of allies have the berserk condition.

Money Giving Based on Turn - originally made for The Arc of Time, it gives a certain amount of money based on what turn it is. Nothing fancy.

Multiple Seize Hack - recodes how seize works and makes it so that all units on certain chapters can seize (supposed to be used in conjunction with Hextator's Command Menu Name Hack so that everyone can use the custom command). Used in TLP so that everyone can "Enter" (which is really "Seize") various places in the post-game.

No Death Hack - sets the attacker and defender to both have 1HP, supposed to be used in a battle in conjunction with the death quote editor so that the player character doesn't die. Note that it'll be odd if you just go back to the game after this as the enemy will have 1HP, so it's even more situational than usual as it's not coded to detect whether the player character is the attacker or the defender. XP

Phase Changer - three hacks, each one just memory hacks the phase as to change it. Used in The Arc of Time to give people "double turns" (two of their phase in a row).

RNG Code - a basic code that just takes a value and then outputs a random value from 0 to (that value - 1). It's pretty much just a template to be used with some actual OTHER code (or I guess you could make some random event happen with it and use conditional events to check for the output or something... :|).

Shon Buff Hack - literally just ups Shon's stats in TLP because he's so bad that he needs an ASM hack to be decent.

Storage and Funds Clearing Hack - clears the storage and funds. (And well, since this was again, for TLP, it actually gives the player the 4 Emblem Weapons in the storage as well... but that can be easily removed.)

Tile Text Change Hack - just codes it to check for certain chapters and change the list of tile names to be different for those chapters (the idea being that you can then kind of implement custom tilesets in a very inefficient and poorly thought-out manner).

Transporter Level Check - checks the transporter's level (needs to be set though) and outputs a value 0x00 (true) or 0x01 (false) as to see whether the Transporter character has survived all the chapters it possibly could.

Weapon Upgrade Hack - two versions. One checks for the active character and upgrades their weapon based on a table of weapons to upgrade and what they should be upgraded to, then charges the player a certain amount of money based on how many uses that item has and a table which says how much to charge for each use. Another is the same thing but just charges a set amount. Kind of an idea that was never really touched upon or implemented fully (or rather, fleshed out), but for what it does, it works.

Key

ALL RESOURCES MUST HAVE CREDIT GIVEN IF USED UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED WITHIN THE FILES. And you don't just credit me, you credit whoever MADE it. e.g. you credit Nintenlord for the Event Assembler, list the makers of the modules for the modules, etc.; a basic (and outdated) hacking contribution list is here but double-check that you don't miss anyone.

P - Needs permission to be used. Reasons vary, but just ask for the permission, it's usually not that hard and the answer is usually like "yes" or "I don't care".

NLWO - No longer worked on. Do not expect updates, try to give critique for improvements, or anything like that. You're only wasting your time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a hack which lets you have variable effectiveness for weapons etc.--it requires basic hex editing skills (ctrl+G -> go to, ctrl+C to copy, ctrl+V or ctrl+B to paste, and you have to repoint one pointer, oh no) to implement but the actual usage is easy as you just edit the 2nd to last byte in the Item Editor and that will control effectiveness (where 0x00 = default effectiveness).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8875056/hacking/asm/Variable%20Effectiveness%20Hack.zip

It also lets you change the default effectiveness entirely (though you still have to implement the hack and read the instructions XP).

that's an interesting way to implement things

i had an idea that involved editing the way the data at the effectiveness pointers was read so you could have a weapon have x3 on one class and x2 on another

yeah I could implement that but like, it wouldn't be fun in the least

^here's a quick little chat where Arch explains his idea real quick and I give my thoughts on it and why I don't want to do it without getting onto the bandwagon and asking for money

[9:40:03 PM] Arch: So we can have like.....up to a certain point of the classes listed to be effective against determined by the value.

[9:40:56 PM] Arch: Then shift so we can have weapons 3x effective against some, 2x against others, .5 against others etc.

[9:46:47 PM] ballin1337: oh

[9:46:48 PM] ballin1337: right

[9:47:03 PM] ballin1337: that'd require a much larger hack though

[9:47:24 PM] ballin1337: I actually already found out where it loads the effectiveness pointer

[9:47:35 PM] ballin1337: so all I'd have to do is branch it out

[9:47:37 PM] ballin1337: have it check each one

[9:47:40 PM] ballin1337: and then continue

[9:47:42 PM] ballin1337: but

[9:47:50 PM] ballin1337: we'd need a table of pointers for each item

[9:47:51 PM] ballin1337: ><

[9:47:58 PM] ballin1337: I guess I could make the "effectiveness pointer"

[9:48:01 PM] ballin1337: in the item data editor

[9:48:04 PM] ballin1337: point to a pointer of pointers

[9:48:17 PM] ballin1337: with the first byte being the multiplier

[9:48:29 PM] ballin1337: and every other byte after being a class it'd be effective against with that multiplier

[9:48:43 PM] ballin1337: and then check that and then use that multiplier

[9:48:44 PM] ballin1337: but like

[9:48:47 PM] ballin1337: it'd take several hours of work

[9:48:53 PM] ballin1337: and be hard as heck to implement for the normal user

[9:49:02 PM] ballin1337: I think I'd have to pull a Hextator/Cam and ask for money

[9:49:03 PM] ballin1337: XD

but seriously I might actually use this Variable Effectiveness hack whereas I doubt I'd use the above one simply because I don't have any hacks that could really make use of it at this point so yeah...

my idea was to make the data at the effectiveness pointer look like XX YY where XX is the effectiveness coefficient and YY is the class

and then just terminate the list with 00 00 and that'd be far easier to implement

Multiple Seize Hack by Table

Lets you choose which characters in a map can seize. Copy the data from 0x08034884 to the end of the file from the .dmp file to your ROM using a hex editor (it's not hard). Then at 0xDF1400 (you can change the offset in the ASM; the bytes are 00 14 DF 08, so just repoint that to your offset ala basic hex editing skills) should be a list of pointers for every chapter that point to what characters can seize. If you don't set a pointer table, the game WILL glitch.

The list of characters that can seize should end with 0x00.

e.g. if I'm on chapter 0x27

and my table is at 0xDF1400

then 0x27*4 (a pointer is a word which is 4 bytes) = 0x9C

0x9C + 0xDF1400 = 0xDF149C

at 0xDF149C is a pointer to 0x08DF1600 (don't forget the 08), written as 00 16 DF 08

at 0xDF1600 is a list of classes that can seize, e.g. "0x01 0x02 0x03 0x2D 0x00" will make the main characters in FE7 seize (oh yeah this is an FE7 hack only as usual). Note that 0x00 ends the list.

Main characters won't be able to seize unless you let them by this hack, so be careful.

It might seem hard but it's really not--still, if someone wants to make it more user-friendly, by all means go ahead (I just don't have the same amount of willpower as Nintenlord, it seems, because he turned his into a patch and stuff, but I don't like making/applying patches and am tired from ASM hacking as it is >_>').

you know instead of asking people to manually insert asm there is a reason that hextator has specs for assembly patches that both his and my assembly patchers follow

the patchers basically just do your work for you and do that menial hex-copying

^it should? assuming I know what you're talking about

@CT075

you know

yes

yes I do know

I choose not to use them

and will continue to choose not to because I don't like them. I could code my own better one (and no I'm not going to bitch about what I don't like about your programs because that would be rude and I don't want to seem like a smartass when I haven't made anything better yet), but I don't want to when it takes 30 seconds tops to do it with a hex editor. And IMO if a "hacker" can't do something as "menial" as hex-editing, they shouldn't be hacking--I personally probably would have never gotten past Nightmare editing without it

like assuming someone knows what the basics of hex editing (which all "hackers" should; the UT should cover it as well, and there are probably other tutorials on it online, and in general it's very easy to learn/do, so there are few excuses IMO)

- 3 seconds to open file

- 3 seconds to read the offset and go to it

- 3 seconds to copy the data

- 5 seconds to repoint (if necessary)

- 5 seconds to open ROM and paste data

~20 seconds

applying a UPS patch or an assembly patch would actually take longer and the latter would require them to learn something new whereas hex editing and UPS patches should be things they already know how to do/use

if you're wondering why you got such a big response, it's because your tone is bleh so I responded in kind :\

can't help it, I've been brainwashed to "be kind in general until they treat you otherwise; then treat a person the way they treat you" :|

^it should? assuming I know what you're talking about

i mean, i just hear from everyone that the AI will never use fortify, so this is surprising news to me. i guess that the default condition of having 3 heavily wounded units in range is pretty difficult to fulfill, though.

in general yes

especially when units are being 1-rounded constantly which in normal-level FE's feels like almost all the time

there's a glitch regarding using Fortify and enemies getting EXP though but like idk how it completely works or how to fix it sooo (I just lowered the staff exp. but tbh I'm not even sure if that fixed it... though I haven't really heard about it since)

you have your ~20 seconds to copy paste and i have my ~2 total seconds with my patcher

it's literally a drag and drop operation

don't even give me the bs about how hackers should know how to hex edit it's just tedious and teaches nothing

also if you have a problem with my patcher i'd really love to hear it ;/

Edited by CT075

you have your ~20 seconds to copy paste and i have my ~2 total seconds with my patcher

it's literally a drag and drop operation

don't even give me the bs about how hackers should know how to hex edit it's just tedious and teaches nothing

also if you have a problem with my patcher i'd really love to hear it ;/

cam you sound like an unhappy kid on christmas

it's like you're just making up excuses to try and discredit him at this point :/

@KoT just leave it be

nothing good is going to come out of pointing out his flaws

Revive All Hack

Just a simple hack which will revive all characters/restore their HP to max. Just copy it to any offset and use the event code "ASMC 0xOFFSET+1" to do it, where "0xOFFSET" is the offset you insert it to (in hex) or something