Making LUK Give Crit

Kngt_Of_Titania

IMPORTANT EDIT: Links to .dmp files are up! You can find them in the spoilers with the .asm code down below. Using dropbox for them, so it should work. Please tell me if they don't!

So basically this is my first ASM hack, so don't get too mad if it isn't the most efficient thing ever. However, this SHOULD work without any problems (i.e. if, for some freak reason, it does something weird, PM ME ASAP with the bug and I'll fix it).

In most Fire Emblems, I always felt LUK tended to be a lackluster stat in general, being only necessary to have just enough in order to reduce enemy crit chance (most of the time) to 0. In addition, I noticed that, as you went through the game, dodge outscaled crit, since 1 LUK reduced enemy crit chance by 1% but 1 SKL only gave 0.5% crit. You could skirt around this by gradually making B and A rank weapons crit chances, but that causes a who slew of problems (esp. if somebody reaches A rank early in the game and gets their hands on a A rank weapon), or by forcing enemies to have low LUK (which might make the game easier than you want).

You might ask, why would crit not scaling as fast as dodge be a problem? Well, classes like swordmasters are balanced around having only one weapon by getting an extra 15% crit; however, if dodge outscales crit (to the point where people might have 10+ more dodge than crit w/o weapon or support bonuses), this actually can effectively lower that bonus to 5% crit or even lower at very late game (however, simply setting the 15% bonus notably higher to compensate is not a good idea; to see why, see FE6 Rutger). I found this unacceptable, simply because only having one weapon can be a serious handicap (especially if your game happens to have reaver weapons) and should be counterbalanced appropriately.

I found two possible (and very similar) solutions, both of which have some justification:

A) Make crit scale with LUK/3. With two units at 30 SKL/30 LUK, the Crit will be exactly 5 less than Dodge -- however, S rank bonus gives 5% hit and 5% crit, so it all works out in the end. However, units with S rank will have slightly inflated crit chances and units without it will have slightly deflated crit chance mid-game.

B) Make crit scale with LUK/2. Similar to option A, but it means you don't NEED S rank bonus to make up the difference. I tend to like this option more because crit scales at the same rate as dodge on average. However, you'll have to deal with a baseline 3-5% crit chance if units are attacking with their S rank weapons unless you also modify S rank bonuses. I will personally use this option and then probably make S rank give 10% hit instead of 5% hit/5% crit, thereby solving all my problems. (However, I don't know where the S rank bonus is coded for crit and hit, so if anybody DOES know and tells me, that would be cool and save me some time).

ANYWAYS, enough blubbering. Here is the code! It's designed for FE8 atm, but I doubt that it will be hard to make it work for FE7 since the engines (for crit, at least) should be similar.

[spoiler=LUK/3 Code]

.dmp link: Click

LUKDividedBy2CritHack2_zps1f2d75cb.png

[spoiler=LUK/2 Code]

.dmp link: Click

LUKDividedBy2CritHack3_zps620e097b.png

[spoiler=Instructions for Applying Patch]1) Open HxD; load my ROM and the .dmp file.

2) On .dmp file, highlight all numbers from offset 2AC28 to 2AC2F. Press "Copy".

3) On ROM, highlight all numbers from offset 2AC28 to 2AC2F. Press "Paste Write". You HAVE to include that "00" byte at 2AC28 or it WILL crash. That "00" byte is actually partly

responsible for directing the ROM to read my hack instead of a random section of code that causes it to crash.

4) On .dmp file, highlight all numbers from offset 2AD26 to the end of the file. Press "Copy".

5) On ROM, highlight all numbers from offset 855060 to 85507B (for LUK/2) OR 85507F (for LUK/3). Press "Paste".

6) Load ROM and make sure right patch is applied and that it works.

Please let me know what you guys think of it and PLEASE let me know if you can't get it to work. I hope you guys find it useful.

P.S. If you REALLY want to go wild, I *THINK* you can make just about any stat on a character affect crit chance in the same way. All you need to do is replace the #0x19 on line 25 with one from this list (copied from Hextator's doc). For example, I'd imagine you can replace it with 0x08 to make it scale with level and then combine it with that hack that doesn't reset level on promotion. Or, just looking at this list, if I could find somewhere where the type of weapon equipped is stored, I could theoretically alter and expand this code to make it give crit based on the weapon level of your equipped weapon -- i.e. D rank gives 1 crit, C rank gives 2 crit, B rank gives 3 crit, etc.; essentially, I could make it so that the S rank bonus happens gradually.

[spoiler=Ze List]0 Portrait

4 Class

8 Level

9 Exp

11 Slot mod

12 Turns used

Subtract two from each of the following for FE 6:

16 Horizontal Position

17 Vertical Position

18 Max HP

19 Current HP

20 Str

21 Skl

22 Spd

23 Def

24 Res

25 Luck

26 Con bonus mod

27 Traveling mod

29 Move bonus mod

30 Item pointer slot 1

31 Uses left item 1

40 Sword Level

41 Lance level

axe, bow, staff, anima, light, dark

48 Condition mod

50 Supports

60 ???

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

it's typically easier if you just give us the .dmp instead of making us copy the code ourselves

EDIT

i'll also make an fe7 one if it turns out there's actually demand since this is a pretty simple mod

Edited by CT075

it's typically easier if you just give us the .dmp instead of making us copy the code ourselves

EDIT

i'll also make an fe7 one if it turns out there's actually demand since this is a pretty simple mod

I'll be honest. I did it this way because I failed at file hosting, somehow. I'll try to add the .dmp file later today.

EDIT:

You're right; it is actually a really simple mod -- the actual coding was a joke. It was learning ASM, figuring out what the hell the ROM was doing and how it worked, and finding the proper offsets that took like 99.99% of my time.

what file in Hex's doc is the list from

C:\EnterStuffFromMyComputerHere\Hextator's Doc\Media\Games\Console\NGBA\Fire Emblem\Misc FE Stuff.txt

At least from the folder of Hextator's doc I got from the one linked in the "Tony Mode" thread recently posted.

EDIT: Crap, realized there was a minor typo on the code for LUK/3. Sorry, I was tired when I made the thread and posted the wrong picture. It will be fixed presently.

EDIT2: Alright, fixed.

EDIT3: Links to .dmp files are up! Using dropbox for them.