Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Nice start if no one else can use the killing edge, so he has nice offense off the bat. That weapon rank is about all he has going for him though, because he's 2HKOed in his join chapter at ~50% hit. Lack of strength growth kills him later on, as does a lack of defense. He's pretty much done when Valm starts, because things get so bulky and he's really not capable of dishing stuff out or taking any hits. Swordlock sucks until you get Amatsu too, but it doesn't last forever.

Postgame stuff, he's really only good for fathering since he has an awesome speed mod. Myrmidon, Thief and Wyvern Rider don't give much in the way of good skills.

3/10 - A few chapters of being good (5-11), then he falls off a cliff and never regains any ground.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really not used Lon'qu much, but he never seems able to damage much. He does, however, make a good support partner and can re-class to Wyvern for the Str and Def he needs to function well. But that has negatives in itself.

6/10

7/10.

Lon'qu is one of the few units that doubles most things on Lunatic. The earlygame is littered with axe users that he trivializes with his goodish avoid. Providing +5 speed as a partner is also very essential. He does take a big drop midgame when axes become infrequent and his defense doesn't cut it. He also gets Wyvern Rider, which is a plus and ends up being pretty good with investment. Lon'qu is okay to use for the first chapters, but his role in the later chapters become less frequent without some help.

LONQUUU

I was hoping he could live up to my Joshua experiences from Sacred Stones...unfortunately he falls a titch short, but I'd give him a 8/10, no bias. Him and his killing edge made quick work of a lot of enemies, throughout the game. His durability, as people have mentioned, requires a bit of work, but he's got a lot going for him to compensate for that. Really like him as a swordmaster!

@ Constable Reggie - LOL! I see what you did with your last 2 ratings. Thats fucking hilarious. I cant stop laughing.

If no one else noticed it, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Where the hell is Donnel?

Hmm Lon'qu, basically the exact same as Kellam, but the exact opposite. He is a great pair-up bot for slow units, and a below average unit when taking the lead. Sword-lock sucks for him.

5.5/10

Longu doesn't exist, 0/10

this.

Alright, so, actually trying-- Lon'qu is a pretty awesome character. He's more like the character I typically enjoy seeing-- but I like Joshua better. His speed is epic, his skill is unmatched. His strength... is pitiful. He starts out with C-rank in swordsmanship-- but this is negligible unless you've managed to randomly find a c-rank sword on one of the event tiles. Even so, I find that his strength doesn't really hold him back too much in the beginning-- late game it's more obvious, but it's easily fixable before then. All in all, I find that Swordmaster's str cap is fairly low and even with swordfaire doesn't boost it enough to actually be effective. Perhaps with aggressor..? but then, some people just don't use DLC, so they're just stuck.

6/10 Not one of the best units like some people make him out to be-- but not terrible.

It's a pair-up bot with a Killing Edge! (Un)fortunately, most of the people that want him are dudes. His class set could use a touch more variety, and he looks outright silly as a Trickster. He gives himself Lancebreaker and Deliverer, which can help him with two of the problems he faces (lances and mobility).

His two huge issues are durability and later lack of offense. He starts out with 20 HP and 7 DEF. That's the same as Sully, way back in Chapter 1 (oh, and she beats him in those growths). His offense starts out workable (6 Strength is, um, bad, but he's got C Swords and a Killing Edge to compensate, which helps early), but 55% Strength growth means that he'll still be in single-digits by the time he hits level 10 (on average). Valm is full of things that have an existent Defense stat, and Wyrmslayers/Armorslayers only affect so many units.

5.5/10 (no bias, because he doesn't amuse me enough to warrant one)

EDIT: Numbers

Edited by eclipse

I was sleeping, but yes it is donnel time.

So as a quick note before i rate him i have been very lenient with the flame rules however I will give a strike the second someone breaks the rule, there will not be anymore verbal warmings.

Onto donnel

Pros

Good growths

Good class set

Has one of the best skills to pass down

Cons

Cost turns to recruit

Cost turns to level up

Requires a good unit to be doubled with him to be recruited.

Donnel sucks for several chapters until you get your first second seal. Even then he still has to be at level ten which is painful to accomplish. All in all even if he had mediocre bases he would be useable. Now if you use DLC exponential growth makes him a 9/10

but I'm not rating with DLC in mind so he gets a big old 1/10 minus my bias for being a pain in the neck to train, finally 0/10.

I'd give mah legendary buddy Donny a 9.5 if it weren't for the efficiency rule

Donnel will require constant babying, tonicing and pair-upping for a good many levels in order to perform well; and in the early chapters, where you're only decently leveled and you need every unit you can get, it can be a big problem trying to raise Donnel in any chapter outside of 4.

However, if you level him up to 10 (or 15 if you think Underdog will help) with all due time, then one second seal is all it takes to turn him into a killing machine that will wreck the shit of the universe and even intimidate the MU

Unfortunately, so much effort is required for Donnel if you're running with efficiency, so therefore I grant him a 3.5/10.

4.5/10 with bias because of that pot head and his clearly obvious sexual charisma with the ladies in the Shepherds

Oh here we go. The country bumpkin with the pothead. Alright, Donnel.

Okay, so he has good growths, a pretty nice set of classes to choose from, and Aptitude is pretty freaking amazing. Because of that, he's a really good father. Unfortunately...

He's a pain in the ass to level, and his bases are crap. He gets 1RKO'ed in his joining paralogue, and even after that WITH PAIR UPS, he still faces death. Getting him to level 10 isn't easy nor worth the effort, IMO, because his start is just so...bad. The results for getting him up to snuff are fulfilling, but it's just not...easy to give him those 9 painful levels (though he'll definitely get better once reclassing). I guess I'll be lenient on this guy, since I think his character is pretty cool.

0.3/10, +.5 bias for being a cool country bumpkin. 0.8/10

Edited by Zeem

Donnel... Donnel... this is going to be fun.

Well then first off let's look at his bases...

UNIT   CLASS LV.XP HP ST MG SK SP LK DF RS WEAPON RANK      
DONNEL VILLAGER 1.00 16 4 0 2 3 11 3 0 E LANCES

That’s pretty terrible. He’s getting 1-rounded by just about everything which makes him hard to train, early-game is easy enough for it to not be that hard though, the main problem is it costs turns making him pretty bad in efficiency.

Now his growths: HP str mag skl spd lck def res

Villager 105 75 35 65 70 100 65 40

Fighter 115 90 35 80 80 100 65 40

Mercenary 115 85 35 85 85 100 65 40

So he’s always guaranteed HP and Luck, Strength can reach 90% he’s got the best growths in the game (save his children). This means he’ll stop dying and start killing pretty fast.

He's got great growths and makes great children... not sure if I should be including that though.

Since all my other votes have been efficiency so I'll give him one as well. 3/10 +1 bias for having a pot on his head.

Edited by bearclaw13

Ok, so Donnel:

Pros

* Aptitude.

* Has Mercenary.

* Class tree makes him automatically among one of the best to marry certain mothers who get certain daughters.

Cons

* Really bad bases. Early-game is among some of the worst.

* Has to level up once in his paralogue chapter to join, which is frankly annoying, and can make clearing the Paralogue in reasonable time into a chore.

* Requires a good unit to be doubled onto him in order to do significant damage and avoid getting immediately KOed.

* Other units, while possessing lower stats if trained, can contribute to efficient clears more than Donnel does on average, and much faster too.

* Practically needs the Second Seal that you get from Ch. 8 or Par. 3, and needs it early, in order for your babying to pay off. And there exists candidates that make better use of it, and are much easier to train, than Donnel.

* Using children during an efficiency run can be pretty hit or miss, and Mercenary tree and Aptitude are the only things that male children will want from him regarding his class set.

And here we are at Donnel. At first glance, he joins early and packs Aptitude, even in spite of his bad base stats. However, his bad bases will quickly haunt him as you continue, and training him to get him ready for the first Second Seal will require lots of babying, tonics, and at a big cost of overall efficiency in the early game. Once promoted though, he has the potential to rip through units, thanks to finally getting out of Villager and into a class with proper bases. However, most of the time, it's not worth it, and you're better off taking his Bronze Lance and let him warm the bench, if you do recruit him.

Rating: 1/10 (1.5/10 with bias, as he's somewhat humourous.)

Donnel is a unit whose satisfying pay-off doesn't really justify his start and the path to make him pay it off in the first place. He can have Aptitude all he wants, but he's not that good of a unit.

I'll give this a shot... Donnel is a wonderful unit when you take the time to train him. It's incredibly silly to deny yourself a good unit just because you don't want to level grind just a tiny bit. Even if you don't have EXPonential Growth, you can still summon Mist or Mulder from the Bonus Box and have Donnel beat up the defenseless cleric/priest for easy experience. Sure, he's a pain in the ass to train, but at least he arrives pretty early (if you do his Paralogue as soon as it opens anyway), and Donnel has never let me down, in neither my Hard nor my Lunatic file. And honestly? Leveling him is freakin' easy. Did nobody ever try surrounding the archers for Donnel to pick at?

I give Donnel a 7/10, with +1 bias because he's one of my favorite units. A shaky beginning isn't enough to ruin him in my eyes.

Annoying recruitment, and no mounted reclass, his mounted class being LOLBK and can't fly

Does not worth it as a growth unit, and everybody know which magikarp growth unit is getting the high rating

Which is kind of a bummer. Back on the pre-release days I thought I would like him as a growth unit.

Also looking at BC's post, holy.... Donnel's growth is even worse than what I remembered

Hes a cool father, part of the Vaike Triangle of Sully, Tharja, and Nowi pretty much sums him up.

0/10

I rather like him so bias to 1/10

0.5/10

A very counter-productive unit. He cannot kill anything without help and costs a Second Seal to be worth anything. With enough training, he does do reasonably well, but there's honestly no point when anyone else is easier to train and turns out just as good.

And can I give a negative bias point still? I dislike him for being hyped and overrated by newbies.

His only real upside is that he can give Morgan (M) both HP+5 and Aptitude (since Morgan (M) will start as a Villager with Aptitude); the problem is that Morgan (M) is untouchable with or without Aptitude. Other than that, he is a real drag on both your turncounts and reliability. 0/10

Can we give a unit -1? I don't like country people either.

3. One plus or minus bias point may be applied to any character. (The total score may not be lower than 0 and may not exceed 10)