Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to level him up in his recruitment chapter (on Hard, at least). Just complete it and ignore him and he won't join.

Then it's impossible to rate him?

7. All characters will be recruited.

It also goes against the spirit of the topic. So as painful as it is, I'm gonna take the extra few turns to ensure that he gets his level.

i have to agree with what's said above. His recruitment chapter makes him a pain for him to join you followed by how much you have to baby him to even get him to grow. Afterward, he levels up amazingly well making mid-late game far too easy. All in all, either you never use him or he carries the team. The best thing he can do in most runs is pass hero and give a female character's kid the ability to go into peg knight. that is all.

4/10

You don't have to level him up in his recruitment chapter (on Hard, at least). Just complete it and ignore him and he won't join.

The whole point of this is to rank every character. Why would you not having to recruit him have any impact on your rating. It's like saying I didn't eat the sandwich but it still tasted awful.

I don't know where any of you got the idea that I was saying 'not recruited/10'. My actual rating is at the end of the last page. What I was responding to was this:

- His recruitment chapter requires you to level him up. This actually causes me to skip it most of the time.

You can get what you need out of Donnel's chapter without dealing with Donnel. Skipping it completely isn't necessary.

Edited by Inference

making the game boring because of his stats.

Being so powerful you break the game is a bad thing?

Now I've heard everything.

Being so powerful you break the game is a bad thing?

Now I've heard everything.

well you know what some people say about Seth back in FE8....

(you know, a unit that was actually OP from start to finish)

Edited by shadykid

well you know what some people say about Seth back in FE8....

(you know, a unit that was actually OP from start to finish)

Or the Avatars... but nobody's given them a 0/10 for being too strong. And since Donnel starts out weak and has mostly sub-100 growths, between base and allegedly becoming broken, there's a long, long period of him being a strong unit/non-broken MVP that poster has conveniently ignored.

I see RTUs are still the silly arbitary popularity contests they were last time.

Or the Avatars... but nobody's given them a 0/10 for being too strong. And since Donnel starts out weak and has mostly sub-100 growths, between base and allegedly becoming broken, there's a long, long period of him being a strong unit/non-broken MVP that poster has conveniently ignored.

I see RTUs are still the silly arbitary popularity contests they were last time.

I think you're not being serious anyway, but Donnel's "brokenness" is still crummy because he doesn't have a mounted class outside of Bow Knight (lol)

I don't believe he's ever legitimately OP. Based on my experience with earlier games and the growth rates on the site, I figure he's at about Ross's level.

There are other playstyles besides turn efficiency, you know. Not that the final ratings will reflect that.

one-sentence summary of Donnel:

He's good if you exclusively slow down to grind for him and nobody else, otherwise somebody else can take those extra levels and become a god (or goddess).

I don't believe he's ever legitimately OP. Based on my experience with earlier games and the growth rates on the site, I figure he's at about Ross's level.

There are other playstyles besides turn efficiency, you know. Not that the final ratings will reflect that.

Efficiency is basically what these rating topics are about. I'm not all "must get the lowest turn count possible!" but clearing a map within a fast pace is how I generally go through my ratings.

So Donnel

the good part:

he makes quite a daddy for few girls. He basically made my first run's kjelle amazing

the bad part:

he starts BAD getting him to level 10 is such an amazing pain. Once you drop that totally not contested second seal on him, he will actually have pertty damn good stats. Of course having unimpressive 5 move and bronze weaponry on him lets him suck another few levels. And then we have what? 15 something levels bumped on bad unit to make him good? So how is that different from gee I dunno EVERY WEAKLING UNIT IN THIS GAME!? Oh there is something more? Aptitude? You do realize the growths in this game are so high anyway that Donnel isnt making any real advantage, exspecially when his starting stats are so bad that he needs to play catch up.

0/10

Durability isn't even a big problem for Ricken and most other characters in the game (except Donnel), and he can get 13 def at base with a Kellam pair up and a Tonic. He could pair up with Tharja later on as well.

Good for Rescue abuse later on. 5.5/10

Shit.

He gets terrible speed. You shouldn't use him. Ever. Lunatic? Oh, god.

1.5/10

Edited by ポーラ

Shit.

He gets terrible speed. You shouldn't use him. Ever. Lunatic? Oh, god.

1.5/10

Killed Myrmiddon near his starting position in two round

4/10

more explanation from both of you please.

Bases aren't great, but they're passable. He hits hard enough, and once he starts doubling he's good. Weirdly bulky for a mage.

5/10, -1 bias because I don't really like him. So 4/10.

So, Ricken is kind of like a Magikarp. Hes a mage, have 1-2 range and whatnot. Provides decent Pair Up bonus, and he can help your team to perform during Rescue Chain session.

As a combat unit hes fine, and he happen to start with a time that helped him during the first Arc of the game. He need to grow some speed before he takes off and has some durability to play with

He has unrestricted desert movement which is pretty cool, and he can get mounts. Sadly, his reclassing option sucks giant iron balls in main game.

His supports are pretty hard to figure out, IIRC he has Gregor support? That helped. As for teh girlies, hes fine with Maribelle for dat speed I guess, although Lissa is efficient for Min maxing

Basically, Stahlwithmagic, albeit not as good

4/10

Edited by JSND

2/10.

Ricken joins in a inappropriate time. He has no clear advantages over anyone else before him. His reclass options are pretty garbage for him and his base stats are very mediocre. And he doesn't have much options for supports, as there aren't many women that give him whnt he wants.

Edited by 春閣下

Bases aren't great, but they're passable. He hits hard enough, and once he starts doubling he's good. Weirdly bulky for a mage.

5/10, -1 bias because I don't really like him. So 4/10.

This, only no bias from me, so it stays as a 5/10.

He helps out in his joining chapter, because elwind rocks against wyverns. Also dat 35% DEF growth.

(Too bad that Miriel's vote took place during my vacation, since she's my favourite)

I always wondered why there was such a hatred towards Ricken around gamefaqs. I was able to use him without any difficulty and I don't really see why he's seen as that horrible. He's certainly not the best unit in the game, but I thought he was more average, instead of horrible.

Anyway Ricken's start isn't the most amazing in the game, but he has enough going for him to make him usefull in his joining chapter. Elwind and wyvers ensures that he can do some hefty chip damage. 5 base speed is massive fail, but the rest of his bases are passable and he joins at a point where he isn't the only one with speed problems. He does join in an ackward spot, but I don't think that anyone is able to one shot him aside from the myrms who can double him.

After that he will grow surprisingly bulky for a mage and his magic grows decently as well. Speed remains a little low, but he has a Gregor support and some females who can give him some extra speed. He's outclassed offensively by Miriel, but he's able to see some more enemy phase action thanks to his better bulk. Staf utility or gaining a pony is nice as well.

His reclass options suck in the main game though. He has the horrible archer line that gives him absolutely nothing and the cavalry line, which gives nice skills, but messes with his stats so I wouldn't bother with that until the game is over.

All in all I think that Ricken is a decent unit, but a little bit outclassed by the other mages you get.

5/10

Edited by Sasori