Lunatic+ playlog/guide/walkthrough - COMPLETED

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on completion of the playthrough! I guess after that doesn't really need a guide since we assume we are free to grind the hell out of it yes? The suppsed weakest class and child turns out capable stomping out the Lunatic+ afterall.

Congratulations on completion of the playthrough! I guess after that doesn't really need a guide since we assume we are free to grind the hell out of it yes? The suppsed weakest class and child turns out capable stomping out the Lunatic+ afterall.

There's that, and there's also the fact that I don't really do postgame stuff. This team would probably be adequate because of the cross-supports and Armsthrift spam, but I only optimized for the story, not anything else.

I guess I could poke the bonus chapters and see how that goes, as a sort of epilogue. Technically, the bonus chapters do have the Lunatic+ skills, after all. I'll think about it, might be interesting.

There's that, and there's also the fact that I don't really do postgame stuff. This team would probably be adequate because of the cross-supports and Armsthrift spam, but I only optimized for the story, not anything else.

I guess I could poke the bonus chapters and see how that goes, as a sort of epilogue. Technically, the bonus chapters do have the Lunatic+ skills, after all. I'll think about it, might be interesting.

Just a heads up, the stats are even higher than Endgame on the easiest bonus chapter (Gangrel)

Just a heads up, the stats are even higher than Endgame on the easiest bonus chapter (Gangrel)

I just noticed; took a quick pass around all of them, and I think it'd be a heavy lift. I mean, Priam's chapter is kind of a bro in terms of enemy weapons (the stats are totally ludicrous but they have a lot of 2-range, so Laurent + Lucina could handle a lot of it), but yikes at some of the SPD and mt values for some of these guys. Super-Walhart has guaranteed Aegis+/Pavise+/Conquerer and two additional Lunatic+ skills, and it's not entirely clear to me how my Chrom is supposed to be able to survive a around of combat from him.

I'd probably have to cheese them to death.

I just noticed; took a quick pass around all of them, and I think it'd be a heavy lift. I mean, Priam's chapter is kind of a bro in terms of enemy weapons (the stats are totally ludicrous but they have a lot of 2-range, so Laurent + Lucina could handle a lot of it), but yikes at some of the SPD and mt values for some of these guys. Super-Walhart has guaranteed Aegis+/Pavise+/Conquerer and two additional Lunatic+ skills, and it's not entirely clear to me how my Chrom is supposed to be able to survive a around of combat from him.

I'd probably have to cheese them to death.

Sniper!Chrom with a Longbow, then Rescue him out of range?

Sniper!Chrom with a Longbow, then Rescue him out of range?

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing that will work, though unfortunately I don't have an easy way to get him to C-rank Bows. I'd have to check, but unless I have two Arms Scrolls, he'd need some training first. Although this is only if I want to actually recruit Walhart.

In other news, I gave Priam's chapter a try. Laurent with all of my stat boosters and a Lucina support can actually double the Swordmasters (he can get to 52 SPD, and needs 51 for it), and abusing the walls in the center to funnel 2-range enemies towards me actually worked out well. Priam was dead on Turn 2 Enemy Phase (thanks, shit RES). It's potentially clearable if I kite the remaining enemies with the help of Falco Lissa, throwing out Physic/Ward/Rescue as needed.

Can't get careless, though. Luna+ hurts like a mofo, and those Counter/Astra Swordmasters are a bitch. At least there is plenty of running room, and a safe place for Lissa to hover over the water in the Sea.

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing that will work, though unfortunately I don't have an easy way to get him to C-rank Bows. I'd have to check, but unless I have two Arms Scrolls, he'd need some training first. Although this is only if I want to actually recruit Walhart.

Hmmm, yeah, that could be a problem. Too bad Towering Bows aren't purchasable. I can't remember, did you already use the Arms Scroll from chapter 15?

Hmmm, yeah, that could be a problem. Too bad Towering Bows aren't purchasable. I can't remember, did you already use the Arms Scroll from chapter 15?

I don't remember using it, but I must have for some little thing or another, since I just checked and I only have one in my Convoy. Thus, my options are either 1) some light training or 2) don't recruit Walhart.

Or I guess I could just let him beat the shit out of me until both Wolf Berg and his Spear broke. What's 50 Turns between friends?

I don't remember using it, but I must have for some little thing or another, since I just checked and I only have one in my Convoy. Thus, my options are either 1) some light training or 2) don't recruit Walhart.

Wouldn't that be the one from chapter 15? I seem to remember you ended up not getting the one in paralogue 4.

Or I guess I could just let him beat the shit out of me until both Wolf Berg and his Spear broke. What's 50 Turns between friends?

Oh, yeah. It would be less convoluted than trying to change Chrom so much too. Plus you get loads of EXP for whoever's doing the healing.

Wouldn't that be the one from chapter 15? I seem to remember you ended up not getting the one in paralogue 4.

That's true, I had forgotten about that. I also don't have access to the child Paralogues that might have more, and of the six (!!!) Anna merchants on my map at the moment, none of them stock any. Oh well. Face-tanking remains the logical option.

In other news, I played around with the bonus chapters a bit, and I think that this wouldn't be as difficult as I anticipated, because Aversa is stupid good with Shadowgift/Galeforce and flight. The reasoning:

• Aversa - no Lunatic+ skills to deal with.
  • Emm - boss kill.
  • Gangrel - boss kill, terrain where ground units can't reach.
  • Walhart - Aversa can Mire-bomb as a Dark Flier over the Sea all day long. No Armsthrift, but easy Convoy access and Mire is buyable in the Ch21 shop.
  • Priam - See Walhart. Also, Laurent and Lucina are very good here.
  • Yen'fay - cramped and crowded, full of fast dudes, might be legit difficult and require whole team. Seems like the hardest one.

• 3 weeks later...

And now, far too late, the post-run debriefing -- AKA the Retrospective -- where I go over what worked, what didn't, what was a surprise, etc. It's also a good excuse for more lists. Anyone can feel free to weigh in with their thoughts as well.

• Second seals are pretty limited. I got lucky with a couple of Anna shop hits, but even though Master/Second Seals are fairly common compared to other items, it's not a good thing to use too many early on, if for nothing else but repeatability. Units that I don't immediately need to reclass could probably see more use.
  • I probably didn't use Chrom effectively in this run. For a while I kept up with his training, but by the time the Valm arc landed he was just a throw-in unit still stuck in tier 1. He would have benefitted by going Bow Knight like Lucina, except through Archer instead of Mercenary. The basic point is that I either need to train him properly or abandon him at Lord level 10; the in-between status just gave me a unit that drained early EXP but never became a strong contributor.
  • Dual Support+ was not that great. It did help some, but was largely irrelevant to combat results, because anyone paired with Miriel usually had plenty of offense. Defensively, it helped Miriel a little (guaranteed bonuses), but with her durability she couldn't face a lot of non-magic combat anyway. From the back-line, only Lucina and Morgan got large boosts from it, and they usually wanted other partners. I could see this skill being more useful if the holder wasn't required to be the Support unit to contribute effectively (i.e. if it applied to the adjacency bonus, for example). This doesn't hurt Valkyrie though, because Rally RES is really good on this team.
  • Demoiselle is better in the early-to-mid game, when enemy hit rates can actually be impacted significantly by the skill. Unfortunately I got it towards the tail end of that window, because of reclassing order (Mage -> DM -> Troub). This is an argument to use Maribelle sooner than later, since she doesn't use a Seal, gets to Demoiselle fairly quickly, and can be discarded later without wasting anything but staff EXP investment. Another consideration: only Chrom and Gregor are going to use it amongst the earlygame units. Laurent and Morgan are the late game beneficiaries.
  • The most popular Spotpass item was Levin Sword by far. I bought a couple Physic staves, and primed Laurent with Mire, but the flood of Levin Swords really enabled the earlygame to work, and Mercenaries to be trainable. I could easily give up all Spotpass team benefits other than this one.
  • Laurent/Lucina was an amazing combination, and basically was just an accident of circumstance. I chose Laurent as an experiment to see if AT/Mire would be useful, and because he could marry Lucina and give her a partner other than Morgan to fight with. Morgan remained the best unit in the army, but this was easily the best pairing.
  • Gregor was a little disappointing, from the perspective of combat contribution. His "prime" was pretty short, because not long after I got him trained (which took three entire chapters), he started to fall off against the heavy-hitting and accurate Valm units. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it wasn't worth training him -- he was partially responsible for Laurent, after all -- but I may have trained him differently. Passing down Sol to Laurent, for example, would have been a huge boon in terms of late-game survivability, even though it would have meant Laurent had to swing through Mercenary briefly (easier to do that than Hero).
  • I ignored Anna in this run, and that may have been an error. Within a few levels she is incredibly dodgy from Lucky Seven, and Mage/Thief/Archer access gives her some useful path options in the promoted classes. The lack of AT is a factor for her, as are her support partners, but she can use Avatar for a bit (also Tiki: I never picked her up, but she's a possibility) and Anna is also a one-person argument for a Dual Support+ unit to exist in the army. Her low defense is less of a problem than Gregor's low avoid.
  • Losing out on Despoil turned out to be basically inconsequential. I got enough money from normal play, and saved enough via Armsthrift, that I had the capacity for more maxed-out forges than I even ended up needing. Leif's Blade is probably a better idea than Barbarian, if the need should arise.
  • I'd really like to find a way to get Dual Guard+ going somewhere. DGs are the best way to avoid late-game damage, but plowing through 14 levels of Great Knight means leveling without being able to negate Counter, and there are no units that are a natural fit for it. Frederick is the closest candidate, but also one of the worst statistically. Ideally I'd like to have it on Lucina, but Chrom cannot pass it to her. Sully/Stahl/Kellam have the best statistics, need no reclasses, and also make the best parents, but they have to rely on walls and javelins to get there. It may not be worth the effort in the long run.
  • Lissa as a Falco was ridiculous, but ultimately useful late. I am glad that I went the Cleric -> Sage -> FK route with her. I never got around to writing up the post-game Paralogues properly, but she was a big part of reliable completion on several of them, and a flying Rescue was perfect for Ch25 in the story. Rally MAG was also handy on occasion.
  • Henry was good for the brief time that I used him. I don't feel like he was a huge factor, but neither was he a complete waste.

You probably already know this, but mire is also available from Gharnef's shop.

Yeah, I used that shop primarily as my Mire source. I think I ended up buying about 5-6 of them over the course of the game. Eventually Laurent just stopped using charges period.

Avatar is the best early Second Seal, no doubt about it.

There are a lot of good candidates for second place, IMO. I'm not sure how I would do it on another run; I don't regret reclassing Miriel, who turned out to be a brick house for a while, but I could have gotten comparable performance just by keeping her as a Mage. You could use one on Chrom, to get your first primary bow-user prior to Ch9: never tried it, but I think it's a decent theoretical use. Lissa is good, too: it's easy to get her over-leveled as a Cleric, and a Second Seal would give you an instant magic-user. Ditto Maribelle. Those are the strongest candidates I can think of off the top of my head.

Adding to the above, I wonder how Donnel would do on this run. If you don't use Gregor or male Avatar for the job, he's the only unit who can pass AT/Mercenary down to Laurent. Although it's frightening to consider what it would take to get that loser to level 10 for a reclass, not to mention the kind of bases he'd be passing down.

Unless the Archers have Counter, naturally. Might be a heavy lift!

EDIT: although, since he's basically tinking them, I suppose it would take him a long time to kill himself.

EDIT #2: and you'd have to hope that the Archer didn't have Pass.

Edited by Interceptor

Lissa is good, too: it's easy to get her over-leveled as a Cleric, and a Second Seal would give you an instant magic-user. Ditto Maribelle. Those are the strongest candidates I can think of off the top of my head.

Hmm? What do you mean by this? I thought Lissa only had Peg and Staff classes on her at first tier.

Edited by Canto

Hmm? What do you mean by this? I thought Lissa only had Peg and Staff classes on her at first tier.

Just means that I need to pay more attention to class sets. Lissa's instant offense is a Sage promo and basically that's it. Her second seal use would be to make her a Troubadour, which was one of my original plans before Miriel popped up.

Donnel is quite powerful once he gets going and thanks to Aptitude, would likely pass better stats than Gregor would. Getting him going is a horrible pain, though, requiring a questionable amount of effort to get to 10 Villager (but he should be quite usable after a reclass). He also has the weird quirk of his stats really working against him if he encounters Counter enemies. His Str should have grown a lot, but won't be able to one-shot enemies. Since he has a low base HP, even though he gets at least 1 HP every time, meleeing a Counter enemy basically causes his own face to explode.

• 3 months later...

I really need to subscribe to this thread, since I am not here as much anymore.

Out of curiosity, was there anyone who performed better or worse than you expected?

Basically what the others said, and also what's in the Retrospective (which I've now added a link to in the second post of the thread). Laurent by far wins the "found a $20 bill in your pocket" award, although it's important to note that he peaked at exactly the right moment (second Walhart chapter, when the rest of my team was starting to fray at the edges) and in circumstances that were pretty favorable for him (two key lategame chapters where enemy 1-range density is low, and thus he can safely Nosfera-tank).

Gregor was disappointing, as stated, but I think that Laurent bailed out the investment a bit there. I'd definitely approach Gregor's training differently in a do-over, but I'd still use him, because he's solid even outside of a primary combatant role. The ability to just promote him immediately and not having to train for AT is a major plus.

One of the things I'd like to try in another run would be to de-emphasize Miriel's buff-battery role, in place of having her focus on being a strong early damage dealer. That would save me some Second Seals (plus prevent a damage drought during reclassing), and allow me to slot in Maribelle as my primary Demo unit, to later be a partner for Anna. There's a stretch of midgame where Anna would be particularly useful, and I think that Dual Support+ would give her some legs later on.

Speaking of Miriel, I expected her to be useful, but i did NOT expect her to be as good as she turned out. It was so easy to train her in Ch3 that she reached high-level performance earlier than expected, and I have to say that she was the anchor of my non-Avatar offense for a good stretch because of that. Had I not curtailed it with the Troubadour reclass, she would have had an even longer run.

Chrom was a let-down, but I think that was my fault for not investing in him properly. I think he has a place in a Lunatic+ run, maybe even as an Archer.

The other characters had no surprises. Avatar, Lucina, and Morgan were as silly as you'd expect them to be with Veteran. Olivia retains all of her utility from other modes. I was mildly amused by how long that totally-untrained Kellam was useful as a DEF bot for Miriel -- I was still using him for the job in the second Walhart chapter, FFS. But of course, nobody remembers him anyway.