Let's solve the Awakening EXP formula!

Tables

Okay so here's what I have staff wise:

Staff EXP ~= Base EXP - max(level-5,0)/3 + unpromoted bonus
MAX = 100
MIN = 1

Base EXP: Varies by staff (e.g. Heal is 17, Rescue is 40).
Unpromoted Bonus: If the staff user is unpromoted, +8 EXP on Normal, +3 EXP on Hard, +0 EXP on Lunatic(+)
As usual, round down fractions.

I've recorded the staff EXP gained from using Rescue, from level 1 to 55 and also 80, 81 and 89, and this seems to work for almost all of them. The levels it doesn't work for are:

Level 8: Should give Base EXP - 1. Instead gives Base EXP - 2.

Level 11: Should give Base EXP - 2. Instead gives Base EXP - 3

Level 30: Should give Base EXP - 9. Instead gives Base EXP - 8.

So two outliers one way and one the other. Overall I'm not too fussed about those. I feel like what's probably really going on is a big lookup table, and someone just shoved the wrong numbers in. Then again the numbers aren't that weird - there's no cases where e.g. you get more EXP at a higher level (which I've seen). But it is strange going from level 26 up to 33 if you watch the staff EXP - you get (from Rescue): 33, 32, 32, 32, 32, 31, 31, 30. It's that four levels of 32 and then two of 31 which is strange.

Anyway, other minor points of interest: The difficulty bonus turned out to be relatively easy to crack as I started testing promoted units and noticed all diffculties were giving the same amount. It also helped that the numbers were easy to see pretty quickly were indeed +8, +3, +0 and not some multiplier. I'm not convinced entirely by my formula above, I feel like maybe there's a three part thing depending on if your level is somewhere below ~11, 12-30ish then 31+, but honestly, the above is simpler to use and note there's those exceptions (incidentally if someone could check those exception levels that'd be great). Oh and if you're wondering, I tend to do this data collection on the bus, I'm not THAT boring with my free time. I've filled up over half of my game notes with numbers recorded just from staff EXP already. It's actually pretty quick to do staves though. I took Mist, gave her Paragon, and then spammed Rescue for around 100 turns. Probably got around 2-3 levels per minute including recording them.

Okay then, I've done pair up EXP. Turned out to be easier to solve, once I started noticing the numbers lining up.

EXP (support) = Hit * kill factor
MIN = 1

kill factor = 1 if the support's attack deals the fatal blow
kill factor = 0.5 if the enemy isn't killed, or the main unit kills
EXP is only awarded if the support actually hits the enemy. Missing an attack earns no EXP.

And with that, I believe that barring a few possible edge cases or oddities, we have a complete EXP formula. Sorry for all the double posting, but I figured it was worth the update (in a bizarro way this is almost a log type topic, right ;)?). Would be nice to see this on the site, and/or have others test the equations to see if they all work properly.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for grave-digging this thread but it's the first one I found on the matter of Awakening's EXP Formula.

I wanted to use Awakening's formula for an Awakening based roleplay, but after reading the thread, I'm still having a bit of a hard time picking out the actual full formula from the posts. Can someone post just the formula?