GBA hacks that remove fixed chapter load RNs

Irysa

To be clear, I'm reffering to the fact that you always recieve the same RN string for that chapter upon resetting > loading a chapter save in any GBA FE.

This is probably a bit of a specific request but has anyone ever tried to do one of these? I mean obviously "true" randomisation isn't possible, like the clock time generates RNs for DSFE and the frame you hit start on RD's title screen sets its RNs there, but even if the game just loads different chapter RN strings to what's normally assigned that'll be close enough to what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Also I'm perfectly aware of the fact that if you never reset the game and always use suspend > quit > restart chapter everytime you would otherwise reset, and savestate between sessions to maintain the game being on, you can avoid the "problem", but I'm just curious if anyone's ever hacked something like this.

Edited by Irysa

it's because rn's are generated from the same seed every single time the game is booted

i could *maybe* figure it out but i don't have the time to do something like that for free these days

it's in alex's doc

Alright, I had a look and found these for FE7 and FE6, is this what you mean? Thanks. I don't believe there's an FE8 one though. :\

EDIT: The readme is slightly unclear on how I'm meant to use those files. This part of the readme:

Implementing this specification is tricky. Refer to the specification at

Hextator's Doc/Development/Documentation/Compilers/GNU AS.txt

for the doc doesn't exist anymore. Do I just dump the ROM in the same folder as the .bat files with the rnghack.txt and compile it?

it's because rn's are generated from the same seed every single time the game is booted

i could *maybe* figure it out but i don't have the time to do something like that for free these days

PM me a quote on FE8 if you're willing.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah I know, because I wanted GBA ones. I'm not "specifically" looking for FE8, I'd just like to be able to do it to all of them, having 7 and 6 is good.

Can someone point me to an appropriate assembler for Alex's RNG Hacks for FE6/7? I got a programmerfriend to help me out a bit, and he tried to use GNU AS but he doesn't think the format of the binary is correct. The output starts with ".ELF" and he says the Java source code says it expects 0x08000C24 (the address of the first edit)

arm-none-eabi-as.exe -mcpu=arm7tdmi herp.txt -o b.out

is the command used. I'm on windows if that matters.

there's a file somewhere in his doc called "assemble ARM.bat" or something (i have a copy of it but it's customized for my machine so you might need your programmerfriend to help oyu out there)

just drag the code file to that batch and then use the resulting .dmp as the input for hex's (or my) assembly patcher