Masquerade Part 1: Evil Dead

Nanami Touko

"Yeah, we grew up together. He didn't have anywhere else to go, and I didn't like stayin' at home cause of some issues. I wasn't really welcome with 'em once everyone figured out... well, it's a harpy thing. After that, mom 'n dad didn't really want to see me, and my big sis Leiha had sorta always been mean, but after that I just couldn't stay." Valha paused and frowned a bit at the memory. "So when me 'n Lanos met, we kept close. Stayin' alone in a big city is askin' for trouble, and I found that easily enough anyway, so havin' someone else with you at the least helps you survive, yeah? It wasn't easy! I sure don't miss Felson, at least. The rest of the world's much more excitin' anyway."

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanos opened his mouth to speak but fell silent when Valha beat him to the punch. While he would've been content to just let what Valha told Makin be the whole story he felt he had to share his half. Maybe it'll help me put it entirely behind me and help with my trust issues, Lanos mused as Valha told her part. "As Valha said we grew up together for the most part. My parents... abandoned me shortly after I turned four. Don't know why to this day but at this point it doesn't matter. A few people tried to help me on occasion but at the time I didn't trust any of them seeing as I no longer trusted my own parents after being abandoned. I met Valha by chance one day and she won me over somehow, though I think it's cause she wouldn't give up until I'd accepted the food she gave me when I was nearly dead due to starvation or something like that. But yeah, after that we stuck together for the most part." Surprisingly, by the time Lanos had finished speaking he had a faint smile on his face, feeling better now that he had actually told someone in detail about something that had troubled him for sometime. "Ya know," he said, turning to Valha, "if you hadn't tried so hard to give me food back then I might've died so... thanks." Lanos laughed sheepishly. "Even though it's a bit late for it."

Edited by Oersted

"When I'm solid I don't scare people. I don't get weird looks. I'm... normal this way. Or as normal as I'll ever get I suppose." He shrugged. "As for your sword, I don't know much about weaponry, but... hopefully we'll find someone who can fix it more easily or cheaper. Things like that... are important. Items mean things. More than some people realize."

Races

Makin had one thought during their barrage of information, it's far too early for this. She listened anyway, trying her best to take it all in. "That's...quite a lot to absorb at once. But I think I get the gist of it. Seems like you two are practically siblings. I'd say, despite the poor life you had, it worked out pretty well, especially to end up having someone you can trust so readily. Keep her safe, Lanos... Or maybe I should be telling you to keep him safe, Valha?" Makin let out a small laugh, staring around the room for a moment. Seems a lot of people are still sleeping. I'll give them a bit more before I start getting them up. They deserve at least a bit more sleep.

A question had just popped into Makin's mind, one that she wondered whether or not she should ask. Curiosity gave way to caution. "Say, I know that your race is fairly new in society, but... What made you come down from the mountains, anyway? I left the desert because it's...sort of part of my growing up, in my race. To experience the rest of the world after the climate gets you ready to take on almost anything. But, what happened with the harpies? I mean, if you know."

Weaponry

"Heh. That was pretty deep. Though I guess you'd understand the value of little things more than the rest of us, wouldn't you?" He leaned back in his chair and yawned, still wanting to sleep some more. "I can get it fixed here but it'd be far too expensive for the damage done to it. I'll give it a few more swings and leave it at that. Just don't want to end up breaking it on some thug. That'd be a poor way to lose the memory."

Edited by I have opinions

Lazily getting herself downstairs, Maja stretches her arms with a muffled moan as she looks at her surroundings. "Morning, everybody..." Clearly not in her most alert state, though forced out of bed by her own sense of duty, Maja takes a seat at an empty table nearby and uses it as an improvised pillow.

"I dunno about siblings, but we're definitely close. Birds of a wing or however the sayin' goes 'n all that. I do what I can to keep an eagle eye out for us both, yeah?" Valha paused to think a bit at Makin's next question. "Why'd we leave? Well, I was young when it happened, but dad told me once we left 'cause the wyverns were on the prowl. Seems they wanted more territory, 'n what's a little bird to say about that? So we all left, 'cause gettin' eaten sucks. I dunno if there's more to it, but if there is he never bothered tellin' me." Valha shrugged. "Seems fair enough to me, anyway. I dunno if I could even fight a dragon, but a wyvern... no chance in hell. 'N if that's how I feel, you can only imagine how much a race of scaredy-birds would react!"

Kendeall cracked his neck continually as he came down the stairs towards where he saw some of the other members of the group already downstairs waiting. "Gah... morning, you lot. I guess that I'm one of the first awake, then?" He said to the group as he approached them.

Deliberating

Makin frowned. It wasn't very noticeable, but it was a frown nonetheless, and it was at what Valha had said. That's not right. They might be feral and ferocious, but they're intelligent when it comes to maintaining a territory. Wyverns wouldn't just branch out like that unless they were driven out... But the dragons wouldn't drive them out, and as far as I'm concerned, they're the toughest things living up there. She gave it a bit more thought, remembering what had happened to Raith. That must be why he was attacked by one, despite being safely away from their nests. That's incredibly odd... As odd as it was, there wasn't anything Makin could do about it, as Valha didn't know anymore. She tried to get herself to smile. "Is that right? At least you're mostly safe now. I can't imagine living up in the mountains was very pleasant, but... I guess you were used to it if you had been for a while."

In an attempt to cover up her mental frustrations, Makin went back to a previous topic. "Also, in regards to Felson, I hate to break it to you, but that's where we'll be headed next. After we're done here, I mean. I've...someone to meet there. But we won't be going to the slums, so hopefully no terrible memories resurface. Just letting you know now, in case there are any problems with that. I'll make sure to formally let everyone else know once we're done here."

More were gathering, Kendeall approaching with the sounds of cracking bones. "That can't be comfortable... Anyway, yeah. Still waiting on a few people to wake up. Hope you slept well, and are ready to set things on fire. That book better be working." She noticed the slumped girl against the table as well, waving to her. "Morning to you as well, Maja. You seem pretty tired. Anything on your mind?"

"Mmmm..." Maja struggled to look towards Makin from her makeshift bed. "Just... need to get my body know it's not sleep time anymore, it's fine. I got my things ready before sleeping yesterday. I knew that would happen." She yawned.

Kendeall nodded as he pulled his tome out. "Got it right here. And, honestly, the tome feels much more effective in my hands now... Wonder why that is...?"

"We really came down because of the wyverns?" Lanos wondered out loud. "I woulda never guessed that was why we came down from the mountains. I always thought it had something do with the whole greener pastures thing or something." Aw geez, boss's already making fun of me... Though it's true that Valha'd do a better job than I would. Won't stop me from trying though. "It's no problem boss. I've put that stuff behind me for the most part and unless my parents show up and try to an' take me back I doubt I'd be bothered by much anything there. Seen it once, seen it a thousand times."

Angus slept fine during the night. He'd had some rather strange dreams though, but he could barely recall the specifics, aside from Kendeall having sprouted a third arm at one point. He didn't really expect the joke from yesterday to stick in his head, but it had somehow. The events of the day were likely to be much less exciting though; it just clearing out some outlaws they'd already overpowered once before. It shouldn't be too hard for them to deal with. Getting out of bed would probably be the hardest part of the day.

After a few minutes he made his way to the rest of the group, noticin that some of them looked like they would rather have stayed in bed too. "Morning..." he yawned, making his way to one of the tables. He really didn't feel like doing anything today, but they had a job to do he supposed. He started to check over his arrows, particularly for his new weapon. He doubted that they would see any bandits in full armour, but it couldn't hurt to be prepared, he supposed.

"Well, it's just what I heard. I don't really remember the mountains much anyway, so I can't say it was a harrowin' experience or that sorta thing." Valha briefly looked alarmed at the prospect of returning to Felson, but became somewhat more confident looking quickly. "Goin' back? I guess that's alright... Well, I'm fine so long as I don't see some certain familiar faces, but other than that it probably couldn't be too bad, right? Maybe even see some parts I haven't been to before 'n all that. Rediscoverin' the place." Her expression quickly betrayed her again after her words, and she turned her head before either Lanos or Makin could see her sullen look. "Yeah... it'll be nothin' to worry about."

Joel hands over the money, then returns to the inn and turns in for the night. He did not sleep soundly; his dreams were full of the screeching of wyverns and the roar of a blazing fire.

All of a sudden, he awoke with a start. It was already late in the morning... Despite his feelings on the matter, it seems the words of the old woman had made him uneasy, after all. If he was still alive, where had he been all this time? He dressed quickly and headed downstairs. Nearly everyone was there already. He nodded towards Makin "Apologies for oversleeping."

Waving good morning to the rest of the mercenaries, and giving Joel a "no problem", Makin counted heads before sighing at the stairs. But she wasn't about to leave Valha hanging. "Alright, if you're sure. Don't put a brave face on and try to hide it if anything starts to bother you. We're supposed to trust each other, all of us, after all." She then turned to everyone else, clearing her throat, "alright, get your stuff together 'cause we're moving out. After we're done, we'll come back here to rest, and then we're heading out again. Destination: Felson. If any of you have any problems with that, take them up with me after we're done, today. I've got a few people to go drag downstairs..."

Makin disappeared up the stairs (how she ascended the stairs is a wonder to anyone), eventually coming back down with Raith and Vriska in tow, the former just waking up, and the latter still half asleep. She shook the mage a bit, waking her up entirely. "Alright Vriska. Here's your chance to shine; lead on towards their fort."

Suddenly put on the spot, Vriska choked on what to say for a moment, finally struggling out something. "A-A-A-Alright! Uhm. Just...follow me."

----------

Chapter 2x: Loot For The Spoils

The mercenaries gathered their things and did just that. Giving the wonderful city that had welcomed them for the night a last glance, they disappeared off the main road and into the thick of the trees, following the small girl. The footing was uneven, and the brush was thick, but an hour into walking, signs of travel began to show. The brush widened, and a sort of path began. It only took another hour after that for a small, but sturdy looking fort to come into view. The bricks were obviously aged, as they were no longer the dull grey of a regular castle, but had become a sort of burgundy. Whoever had built this fort certainly didn't occupy it anymore.

The sounds of laughter, and clanking armor, could be heard from within the walls. A few sets of stairs led up to open doors, and the group could spot a few of the people making the clanking noises. Men clad in dulled, strong looking armor. Makin thought to herself, how'd these bandits get their hands on such armor? before dismissing the thought, as it didn't matter. They were only here to take them out, not wonder about their equipment.

"Alright, everyone. Same spiel as always: stay alive, and take them out. They seem far better equipped than the rabble that fought us yesterday, from what I can see, so it's safe to assume they're this Ort's best men. Keep cautious."

Map Start!

3cT9eXl.png

HP and other things.

Player Phase!

Joel started to fly forward, then stopped short. There was an entrance to the south that they could possibly make use of. While it may be unwise to split the party further, there might not be much room to manoeuvre in the narrow corridor straight ahead.

Joel flies to 4,10

Despite his earlier calm, seeing the the actual fort and the armored man just inside Lanos was somewhat worried again. Be brave for once. Make the initial strike. Move damnit! Those thoughts repeating in his mind, Lanos charged to armored man, though he forgot to draw even one of his swords in the process.

Lanos moves to 8,16 and claws Knight A.

Joel flies around, and Lanos tries his best to claw through steel! He ends up doing minimal damage, and eating lance, as the surprised watchman springs to action!

99 - 12 = 87
Roll1: 45,22 Roll2: 59,56
13 - 9 = 4 x 2 = 8 damage!

92 - 20 = 72
Roll: 53,78
14 - 6 = 8 damage!

Kendeall flipped around the Fire tome in his left hand, axe in his right, as he tried to peer into the fortress to look deeper in, seeing a large knight blocking his way into the rest of the fortress. "Hmm... knights usually have strong defenses against weaponry... but not against magic." He said to himself firmly as he put his axe on his belt and ran in, launching a fireball at the knight before him.

Kendeall moves to (7,11) and attacks Knight B with his Fire Tome.

Valha looked over the castle. "This ain't gonna be as easy as last time, huh..." She was a bit surprised to see Lanos take the initiative, but not one to be shown up she followed him closely. "Hey, Lanos! You'd be better off with this armor-cuttin' sword than your claws for these guys, yeah? Here. Just a warnin', though, it's pretty heavy!" She handed him her newly bought sword to better combat the foe before him.

Valha moves to (7, 16) and gives her Armorslayer to Lanos, equipping it on him.

With the others moving in bravely to face the armored bandit standing in front of them, Maja decided it was as good a time as any to try her new staff.

Maja moves to (6,15) and casts Help on Lanos.

Angus was surprised that their enemies were actually armoured. He hadn't really expected that of the bandits. Unfortunately, he had no clear shot on any of them, so all he could do was move closer.

Angus moves to (5,11)