【東方】 Yet Another Touhou Draft

Scarlet

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proto directed me to this thread. Something something playing touhous.

Hey.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to withdraw from this draft. Life circumstances are throwing me around like a ragdoll and I can't get to this at all like I was hoping...

Just say something like, "If it's okay, I can take your place in this draft" or something

I'm perfectly fine with abiding by the 3 days remaining, if allowed.

Sorry to hear about that, Zak. I hope you can sort out whatever's going on in your life soon. =/

@Fera: I don't mind, so: welcome to the draft! Thanks for keeping this going. ^^

The amazing ZM has kindly requested a 24-hour extension on the deadline for the submission of EoSD. He has not had sufficient opportunities to play EoSD, but assures us that his free time tomorrow morning should be enough.

In my personal opinion, we should honor his request, because his limited access to Touhou games has kept him at a disadvantage. An extension would also provide Fera with a little more time, which I believe should be appropriate. Of course, it's all up to you, RAYKITTY~!

An extension would also provide Fera with a little more time, which I believe should be appropriate.

True, but I already have his entry. =P

In any case: granted, but just this once. I would really like to avoid adjusting the other deadlines. Use the time well!

That means that as of this post, you have about 37 hours left for EoSD.

Welp, time's up.

- EOSD Results -

1. Fera
MarisaB
Score: 111,247,330
Clear: Yes (0/1)
Excellent first two Stages. The two bombs for score in Stage 2 were well-placed and scored you a couple million points.
A good run went downhill during Stage 5. Stage 5 was really just bad, there's no other way to put it.
A bomb during the Stage part of Stage 6 would've helped your score further, but I can understand you probably didn't want to spend it for score at that point.

I also can't help but notice that during spellcards, you tend to sit at the very bottom of the screen a bit much (although that didn't really hurt you here).
All in all a somewhat sloppy run, but you know your scoring techniques well, and it shows in your score. 111 million points despite having no lives left at the end is pretty good.

2. Proto
MarisaA
Score: 83,533,920
Clear: Yes (2/1)
Very nice Stage performance; pretty good bosses for the most part, too. Your biggest issue was simply screwing up multiple times and not bombing in time to rectify it.
It deeply pains my soul to see you die in Stage 3 with four unused bombs. xD
You also dropped quite a lot of items in Stage 4, which hurt your score significantly. It's admittedly a bit difficult to get some of these without bombing, but you easily missed 20 million points here.
You're moving too much during Misdirection. Don't follow Sakuya too much, just stream and slowly nudge into a better position.
Overall, it shows that you know your EoSD pretty well, but you really need to get better at bombing.

No Entry: ZM
ReimuA

No Entry: Kalas
ReimuB

Rankings:

1. Fera: 0 -> 10

2. Proto: 0 -> 7

3. ZM: 0 -> 0

3. Kalas: 0 -> 0

That's it for Round 1. The deadline for PCB is March 5th (6 days from now).

ZM, Kalas, you can still catch up - just don't wait 'till the last moment to get to it next time!

Well, I knew I had no chance of beating MarisaB in the hands of a skilled player. I didn't think the point difference would be so huge though >_>

Welp, time's up.

- EOSD Results -

1. Fera

MarisaB

Score: 111,247,330

Clear: Yes (0/1)

I'll comment on Fera's replay after I have time to watch it (which is not gonna be today, nope). But ouch, 0/1 by EoSD standards seems like some serious overuse of resources. A good chunk of them was probably for scoring purposes, I'm guessing.

2. Proto

MarisaA

Score: 83,533,920

Clear: Yes (2/1)

Very nice Stage performance; pretty good bosses for the most part, too. Your biggest issue was simply screwing up multiple times and not bombing in time to rectify it.

Indeed. This happens to me whenever I feel confident enough that I can get past some part, and I subconsciously avoid pressing the bomb button. I don't screw up as often when I don't care about score >_>

It deeply pains my soul to see you die in Stage 3 with four unused bombs. xD

Oh, really? Wait till you see my PCB replay, which will utterly destroy your soul then.

Also, that Stage 3 death was a completely silly and unexpected death that never happened before (as far as I remember). It's not normal to react fast enough to deathbomb there...

You also dropped quite a lot of items in Stage 4, which hurt your score significantly. It's admittedly a bit difficult to get some of these without bombing, but you easily missed 20 million points here.

My objective was actually to clear Stage 4 without losing any resources whatsoever. It's not too difficult, but I kinda forgot about the idea of bombing to improve score. All I did was try to graze some lasers (which led to another stupid death) because Fera was mocking me for not grazing those lasers in a previous run.

Also, I never imagined that the point loss would've been as huge as 20M points! If I knew that, I probably would have used all my bombs. It's not like I fail hard enough at EoSD that I can't afford to spend a few bombs here and there.

You're moving too much during Misdirection. Don't follow Sakuya too much, just stream and slowly nudge into a better position.

It's easy to timeout without moving too much, but I needed the 1up. I tried to approach the center to hit Sakuya but it didn't work. It was only after this run that I learned that I should just park near one of the two ends.

Overall, it shows that you know your EoSD pretty well, but you really need to get better at bombing.

Yeah, I'm not good with bombing because I keep deluding myself that I can go through without bombing. The only times I resolved myself to bomb were during Marionette (which was classified as "impossible to capture" for me then) and after my death during Red Magic (since I lost my chance of capturing, and I didn't dare risk losing another life). You'll notice that most/all of my other reactive bombings were on areas where I would feel threatened quite some time before the actual bombing.

ReimuA

No Entry: Kalas

ReimuB

WHY????? :(

Even if you guys weren't satisfied with your results, I still wanted to see your replays...

Edited by Railgun

Grazing lasers apparently doesn't give much now that I reread the wiki. Gotta get dem blue squares, Proto-nii.

Stages 5 and 6, I just don't like. No comment, I'll leave that to Proto when he can tear apart how many mistakes I made in an undoubtedly massive wall of text later.

Now let's hope the power of love will help me through the Netherworld! please don't hurt me prismrivers

My analysis of Fera's EoSD run:

[spoiler=EoSD Fera]Stage 1 - Nothing special; did a good job collecting items with the lack of auto-collect.

Rumia - Excellent grazing, as expected

Stage 2 - Two well-timed bombs that seemed to collect a lot of items, for scoring purposes. Nothing else special

Cirno - Oh, hey, I didn't know you could dodge the icicles in Icicle Fall by moving vertically! Aside from that, lolCirno

Stage 3 - Did a good job with auto-collecting and not screwing up like I did

Meiling - First screwup in the game, on Rainbow Wind Chime >_> I have no idea how that happened, his game probably lagged a bit or something there. Did well on Colorful Rain. Not sure why he bombed on Color Typhoon when he was in a relatively safe area... probably to get the boss fight over with

Stage 4 - You mocked me for not grazing St 4 lasers, causing me to lose a life in my submission. and then you never grazed them yourself <_< Also, I'm pretty sure that last bomb wasn't intended for scoring (but to save your skin after a risky auto-collect), but it sure helped a lot. I'm surprised you didn't bomb at the last three fairies, actually.

Patchy - How the heck did you die to Rage Trithlon??? Metal Fatigue and Emerald Megalith were really good. Could have saved that panic bomb on Water Elf though, since you were doing well on that too.

Stage 5 - I have no idea how you died at the start. My only guess is that you got really complacent because of how easy Stage 5 was. You stopped caring about the diamond bullets because nobody ever gets hit by them anyway. I'd normally facepalm at the fairy collision death, if it didn't happen to me myself on multiple occasions. Two bombs were used for scoring here, though I'm not sure they were even necessary...

Sakuya - This seems to be the first time you had to suffer for staying too close to the bottom: having to bomb to Sakuya's second non-spell. Also, Luna Clock must be cursed in this draft; it keeps evading capture despite normally being one of Sakuya's easiest spells. Anyhow, dodging those knives from the side was pretty cool, though I'd prefer avoiding them entirely to avoid having to deal with multiple knives from different directions.

I didn't really realize this before, but HOLY SOAP, Misdirection has A LOT of empty space! Far more than Clock Corpse and Luna Clock. I've totally been attempting it wrong all this time. Anyhow, you were pretty close to capturing it but well, the panicbomb was a safer choice.

Stage 6 - I cannot understand how you failed to perfect clear the Stage parts. That death wasted TWO bombs! I also can't understand why you bombed to Eternal Meek for apparently no reason at all (which I'd consider to be even easier than her Stage 5 spells). I'm going to guess it was just final stage nervousness or something.

Remilia - Good job with the first non-spell (her toughest non-spell imo). Sorry, RAYKITTY~, I am really not seeing how Star of David is easier than Perfect Freeze on Normal. Not sure how you screwed up the bubble non-spell, unless you had very few Remilia encounters recently, since you should have been anticipating the wave that made you panicbomb.

I love how everyone (myself included) keeps trying to auto-collect after Scarlet Netherworld, before realizing that the knife non-spell would kill you if you succeeded. That's probably the only reason why Remilia even has such a pathetically easy non-spell. Curse of Vlad Tepes was a good capture, despite how you kept hogging the bottom of the screen. Also, you're doing Scarlet Shoot wrong. The idea is to go behind the bubbles after they're fired. If you keep streaming, you'll inevitably get cornered.

Red Magic was quite poorly done, if you ask me. I can understand the need to check Remilia's position, but don't glance at her for more than half a second, because you need to prioritize dodging! Yes, I'm guessing your glance was what killed you the second time, because you got hit by a giant bubble right after the bomb restart in an otherwise completely empty area. You did a good job with dodging the red bullets though, with some bombing to buy some little time.

Overall - Made very good use of bombs. Stage 4 was really good, and Patchy was really well done. Stages 5 and 6 were much worse than I expected. You definitely had the skills for Sakuya, but there were a few mistakes. You still did well on Remilia, though I'm guessing you didn't have much recent practice against her, especially on her last two spells. You know your scoring techniques well, as RAYKITTY~ put it, but I'm personally unsure if your survival skills would save you in the tougher Touhou games.

Except for SA. I have no idea what kind of supernatural magic drives you to annihilate SA, but that's not relevant to this round of the draft.

Edited by Railgun

I have not played any of these games in months save SA so yeah woo analysis

actually I should totally analyze your replay but too lazy

meanwhile in draftland

prismrivers are surprisingly ok

youmu is butts

lots of butts

7 hours left and I'm still missing all PCB replays except one. :<

EDIT: Yes, it took me this long to notice that I can't count

Edited by Scarlet

[spoiler=disclaimer: please enjoy my fun at the expense of my good friend Proto while I analyze his EoSD run]Stage 1: Nothing to see here, other than safe as HELL collecting technique. Grazing dat delicious Rumia. Mmmm-- Uh, I mean. Ahem, stage 2.

Stage 2: Can't blame you for not bombing, it's your style to survive rather than greedily exploit scoring techniques. You should run around a lot more when you shoot these guys up. You're Marisa, play the part, be a little wild, get the dollas.

You get full power so laaaate.

Mmmm, ice loli.

Stage 3: I forgot midbosses don't have hitboxes after being defeated. That death u wot m8-- is what I'd like to say, but I died to Meiling so whatever. SO MANY MISSED AUTOCOLLECT OPPORTUNITIES. You play seriously safely. Don't immediately dash down after autocollect, the value of a point just below PoC is almost halved already.

Acceptable bomb save on last Meiling card.

Stage 4: So many items dropped, watching you just pass those autocollect moments. You could probably have beaten me if you got through this part and did a little better on the previous stages, I agree with Scar. That lasergraze death tho, hee.

I want to get off Patche's micrododging deathmatch derby.

Stage 5: I assume you didn't stream to that last fairy wave because Sakuya's gangsta looks intimidated you. Weird Luna Clock failure.

and then it's like
you wanted marionette's knives to stab you
wut

Stage 6: hey you bombed to eternal meek too, meekbros

I can sort of see how Star of David is supposed to be easier than Perfect Freeze.

rip capturing red magic

Edited by Fera

- PCB Results -

1. Fera
MarisaA
Score: 588,875,500
Clear: Yes (4/0)

Excellent first stage, period. The first border was well-timed and allowed you to hit MAX Power as early as during the Letty boss battle.
Sloppy Border Break during midboss!Chen, but other than that pretty good Stage 2 as well.
Excellent third stage. I especially like how you delayed killing some of the hexagram fairies shortly before boss!Alice until you had a border to auto-collect their items (although I'm not quite sure if that was on purpose, haha).
Stage 4 could've been improved by better timing on the borders (and not breaking almost all of them), but was by no means bad, either. The Prismriver Sisters were also pretty decent.
Stage 5 was pretty decent, too. You managed to hold your ground pretty well, but alas, boss!Youmu ended up costing you your first life. ;/
Stage 6, unfortunately, ended up being a pretty sub-par finale to an otherwise great run and had a lot of deaths. You should really practice that stage some more; I got the impression that you didn't know at all how to deal with some of Yuyuko's spells.
Still a pretty good run overall, though.

2. Proto
SakuyaA
Score: 347,122,550
Clear: Yes (0/4)
Great first three stages survival-wise, as usual. Scoring-wise there wasn't terribly much SakuyaA could've done.
However, Stage 4 is when things went sour. In part due to mistimed borders, in part due to simply missing opportunities to quickly go above the PoC, you not only dropped almost all items in the first half of the stage (and still a significant portion in the second half), you also ended up having to waste a couple of bombs for little gain. The missed items in the second half of the stage were more due to the fact that you simply failed to kill most of the enemies carrying them - Sakuya A really wants to use her focused shot against the hexagram fairies.
I'm surprised the Lily White fight gave you so much trouble. The Prismriver Sisters on the other hand were decent enough, but Stage 4 as a whole was really bad and pretty much killed your run scoring-wise (your Cherry hit rock-bottom and never recovered).
Stage 5 and 6 were a bit better, albeit not by much (and due to your Cherry being dead, it ended up not mattering terribly much). If it weren't for the silly unexpected deaths during the stage parts themselves, it wouldn't have been half bad, but alas...

3. Kalas
ReimuB
Score: 119,840,020
Clear: No (Stage 4 Boss)
Stage 1 was neither spectacular nor bad. Solid enough.
Stage 2 was bad. You really need to work on your reaction time for bombs - while you did make good use of bombs in later stages, you still ended up wasting too many by dying with unused bombs. You had little excuse for those two Stage 2 deaths. ;/
Stage 3 marked a pretty impressive recovery back to 3 lives despite the not-so-great Alice fight.
Stage 4 was, considering you didn't stream at all, pretty decent. However, if you're not sure whether you can actually survive getting items, play it safe and just let them drop. (1ups and Bombs excluded, for obvious reasons)
As far as I'm concerned, you simply need more practice. The basic dodging prowess is there, just unrefined. You can't become perfect at dodging everything withhin such a short time - however, you can identify which spots throughout stages and boss fights give you consistent trouble. Remember those and just reserve the usage of bombs for them ahead of time.
You also really need to practice streaming. You'll notice that many enemies and even some bosses aim some of their shots directly at you. This is not an issue when it's just a few scattered bullets, but then there are spots like PCB's Stage 4 where the enemies pump out aimed lines of bullets at you that you can't just dance around. The trick to dodging these is to move as little as possible - nudge to the side just enough so that the current volley of aimed bullets misses you, and nudge a bit further once the enemies start to adjust their aim. It's really not that hard once you figure out the concept - you then just need to figure out when to apply it.
Use the time you have for the next round and practice!

SakuyaB

Rankings:

1. Fera: 10 -> 20

2. Proto: 7 -> 14

3. Kalas: 0 -> 2

4. ZM: 0 -> 0

That's it for Round 2. The deadline for IN is March 12th (now with visual timer!).

Edited by Scarlet