【東方】 Yet Another Touhou Draft

Scarlet

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO PRACTICE

But no seriously, as you practice to 1cc all the games you'll get better naturally. :KnollRoll:

Absolutely none of the Borders were planned. I just tried to use as much unfocused fire as possible. I did try to hit that first border around that area of the game, since max power early helps immensely, but I certainly didn't plan on resetting if I didn't. Maybe when I get to draft PCB again in future will I read up on the nuances of border planning.

2. Proto

SakuyaA

Score: 347,122,550

Clear: Yes (0/4)

Great first three stages survival-wise, as usual. Scoring-wise there wasn't terribly much SakuyaA could've done.

I didn't know it was possible to get max Power early though...

However, Stage 4 is when things went sour. In part due to mistimed borders, in part due to simply missing opportunities to quickly go above the PoC, you not only dropped almost all items in the first half of the stage (and still a significant portion in the second half), you also ended up having to waste a couple of bombs for little gain. The missed items in the second half of the stage were more due to the fact that you simply failed to kill most of the enemies carrying them - Sakuya A really wants to use her focused shot against the hexagram fairies.

All bombs were for survival purposes. And Stage 4 is annoying enough that I need to be concerned about surviving more than collecting items.

I'm surprised the Lily White fight gave you so much trouble.

I'm surprised too. I can usually perfect-clear her, but eh...

The Prismriver Sisters on the other hand were decent enough, but Stage 4 as a whole was really bad and pretty much killed your run scoring-wise (your Cherry hit rock-bottom and never recovered).

That first death to the first non-spell was really silly though.

Stage 5 and 6 were a bit better, albeit not by much (and due to your Cherry being dead, it ended up not mattering terribly much). If it weren't for the silly unexpected deaths during the stage parts themselves, it wouldn't have been half bad, but alas...

I think I did pretty good against Youmu and Yuyuko, but yeah, I guess that didn't help my score at all...

Silly unexpected deaths keep screwing me over in EoSD and PCB, but it should hopefully get better after this, because IN has a really long deathbombing window (with double bomb cost though) and MoF+SA have Power-based bombing.

You also really need to practice streaming. You'll notice that many enemies and even some bosses aim some of their shots directly at you. This is not an issue when it's just a few scattered bullets, but then there are spots like PCB's Stage 4 where the enemies pump out aimed lines of bullets at you that you can't just dance around. The trick to dodging these is to move as little as possible - nudge to the side just enough so that the current volley of aimed bullets misses you, and nudge a bit further once the enemies start to adjust their aim. It's really not that hard once you figure out the concept - you then just need to figure out when to apply it.

Use the time you have for the next round and practice!

^This. Though, from my observation of his EoSD run, he actually DOES know how to stream, but he seems to have no clue WHEN to stream.

Whenever I face a new bullet wave during the stage for the first time (or after I've long forgotten about it), I generally try to stream as a default dodging technique, unless I can clearly identify it as a micrododging wave. Kalas-chan, on the other hand, seems to employ his PoFV-style random-hell dodging at everything. He's really good at that, but well, there's generally no avoiding streaming (unless you bomb or something) when the bullets were designed to be streamed.

(now with visual timer!).[/b]

Whoa, cool!

Uguu, at this rate I'll never reach the prowess of senpai, Fera, and vampire-chan. :c

Stop sulking. And you can definitely reach my level or even surpass me. Just practice more, and try to stream more often.

Zak picked MarisaB for EoSD, and a Marisa for PCB. Considering how huge our score differences were, I'm pretty sure he was very concerned about getting high scores

I just tried to use as much unfocused fire as possible.

Yeah, that I noticed, and you did well. ^^

All bombs were for survival purposes.

I thought as much, but I still got the impression that at least one could've been avoided had you not tried to go above the PoC at an unfortunate time. Although I guess at this point I'm really just nitpicking. xD

Silly unexpected deaths keep screwing me over in EoSD and PCB, but it should hopefully get better after this, because IN has a really long deathbombing window (with double bomb cost though) and MoF+SA have Power-based bombing.

IN actually has the shortest deathbombing window of all games that have deathbombing at all! It's the Last Word window that tends to be so ridiculously long, but like you said, that requires two bombs... I used to be thankful for the Last Word mechanic when I was still bad at bombing, but at this point I actually find it quite annoying - hitting the 1-2 frame window for true deathbombing in IN is really hard even if you're really good at hitting the 6-8 frame window the other games have, so more often than not I end up using an accidental Last Word when it really should've been just a regular ol' deathbomb.

Whoa, cool!

Credits to Clipsey; she uses the same timer in her current game of mafia. That's where I got it from. ^^

Edited by Scarlet

They're Last Spells, actually. Last Words are those really cool spells with the Eastern Youkai Beauty BGM that you can unlock in Spell Practice.

Considering that I wasted 28 bombs in my PCB run, and there was only one non-wasted death, I think two bombs for a long Last Spell window is a huge benefit for me. Or not, because I think I've been getting more complacent in IN, knowing that I can always spend two bombs to save my skin when I get hit. Still though, my keyboard actually makes it difficult for me to switch to Youmu during a boss (I like to see my hitbox so Yuyuko is the default for bosses), so the Last Spell is the easiest way for me to use the superior bomb.

inb4getafreakinggamepad

They're Last Spells, actually. Last Words are those really cool spells with the Eastern Youkai Beauty BGM that you can unlock in Spell Practice.

Right. Basically the same thing, though.

inb4getafreakinggamepad

At least get a freaking new keyboard. :newyears:

Considering that I wasted 28 bombs in my PCB run, and there was only one non-wasted death, I think two bombs for a long Last Spell window is a huge benefit for me. Or not, because I think I've been getting more complacent in IN, knowing that I can always spend two bombs to save my skin when I get hit. Still though, my keyboard actually makes it difficult for me to switch to Youmu during a boss (I like to see my hitbox so Yuyuko is the default for bosses), so the Last Spell is the easiest way for me to use the superior bomb.

inb4getafreakinggamepad

get a fight stick so I can rek ur face in 12.3

but no seriously get a freaking new keyboard it's not like your desk doesn't have space for it you packrat

Do Fera and senpai know each other? :o

he enjoys getting punched in the face regularly

does that answer your question

I refuse to punch him in the face because he enjoys it too much

but that's a story for another thread and another day

[spoiler=Fera PCB Draft Analysis]Stage 1 - Whoa, Marisa's pretty fast! Nice job collecting most of the stuff

Letty - Going all unfocused, eh? It improved your score or something, I suppose

Stage 2 - Did you seriously break a border on midboss!Chen instead of just dodging focused?

Chen - I'm unsure of why you're rapidly tapping the focus button. Does it increase your damage output or something? Marisa's shot seems really powerful, considering how quickly these spells lasted

Stage 3 - Oh, hey, there are bullets when it's not Sakuya's spreading knives. Still not much, but it is Stage 3. There was some nice unfocused dodging there.

Alice - Whoa, 100M points already! I didn't actually know you could kill the dolls here, that's cool.

Stage 4 - First bomb, but I was expecting it at that part. You broke a border in the easy streaming fairies of the second half, but I'm guessing that was also for scoring purposes.

Prismrivers - Lyrica's opening non-spells seem tougher than Merlin's. It doesn't help that Marisa needs to be under her to hurt her. Was that broken border intentional? And why the hell did you choose Lyrica for the middle part? I'll admit, her non-spell is easy (which you bombed to), but I find her spell (which you deathbombed to) to be the toughest from the three sisters. I even told you this before you cleared. Nice Concerto captures, though you missed auto-collecting from the first one.

Stage 5 - I'm surprised you weren't unfocused grazing much during your borders here. Nice Fasting capture. You bombed before boss!Youmu, but I'm guessing Sakuya simply has it easier there due to spreading knives.

Youmu - Bomb at first non-spell >_> I noticed that you were dodging the blue arrowheads in a relatively risky method but I didn't think you'd actually have to pay for that. 200 Yojana in One Slash is imo her toughest spell, so yeah, gotta bomb-skip.

Karmic Punishment was a good capture (it was faster than my Sakuya capture, despite Sakuya having aimed knives). Also, I think you're dodging Enlightenment wrong. You should stream the red bullets a bit before you actually move back, because it takes time for the red bullets to spread. Moving back and forth quickly could get you walled from your preferred direction of movement, like it did here, costing your first death. With a litte streaming, I find this to be Youmu's easiest spell, actually.

WHY DON'T I EVER GET A BORDER DURING DEVA??? Marisa seems to have a harder time with Deva, because I'm pretty sure Sakuya didn't have to go through so many waves before capturing it. Also, I generally find the center to be easier for Deva dodging, but that might not always be the case (unless Deva is static).

Stage 6 - I didn't expect you to bomb Ageless Obsession. You could have just like, moved away, instead of sitting there and bombing.

Yuyuko - You died to Fatal Sin. YOU DIED TO FATAL SIN!!! My brain has trouble computing how the hell you made it this far and yet die to Fatal Sin. I'd say that's like a Stage 3 (Alice) tier spell! Easier than whatever the Prismrivers throw at you!

Swallowtail Butterfly was a beautiful capture. I've only captured it once iirc, and it was with much safer movements (because Sakuya can afford to not be under Yuyuko). This is imo the most annoying spell that Yuyuko has, and your dodging was amazing here.

I'm not sure why you're sitting at the center for Repository of Hirokawa. I'm guessing you haven't actually practiced Yuyuko much, and so you forgot that you'd have to start streaming right after the first wave?

Silly death at Getting Lost. HOW COME YOU KEEP GETTING BORDERS DURING THE BEST TIMES??? Oh snap, that Getting Lost went by really quickly. Dat Marisa Power.

And finally, Resurrection Butterfly. You died much earlier than I expected, at Red Butterflies #4 (36 seconds remaining), and then... died again at #5 >_> (28 seconds remaining). AND THEN YOU GOT ANOTHER FREAKING BORDER DURING RESURRECTION BUTTERFLY!!! THIS IS JUST SO COMPLETELY UNFAIR!!! Well, you didn't break the border though. Bombed to both #8 and #9 (last two waves) to avoid more deaths, which was a good decision imo. FYI it's #8 that seems to keep killing me all the time, for some reason. And no, I don't panic bomb to it because I can dodge the stuff before it, thus preserving my hope of being able to outright capture Resurrection Butterfly. Then again, I haven't practiced Resurrection Butterfly much...

Overall: You know how to score high during the early stages, I'll give you that. And if I'm to compare with myself, you certainly don't suffer as many silly deaths as I do. You also panic-bomb more and are better at deathbombing, even though I had double the bombs per life than you did. When it comes to survival though, it seems like you had a really hard time with Youmu's and Yuyuko's spells.

Also, you captured 15 spells while I captured 18. Even if you captured that Chen spell, I'd still have beaten you there. I already feel that my purpose in competing against you in this draft has been fulfilled...

Now go analyze my draft because RAYKITTY~ is a meanie that refuses to analyze my Youmu and Yuyuko performance beyond "your Cherry is dead, your Youmu/Yuyuko performance is irrelevant". I at least wanted to know if I was doing Mortality right.

Next, I'll analyze Kalas-chan~'s entry

[spoiler=Kalas PCB Draft Analysis]Stage 1 - Didn't do such a spectacular job at item collection, possibly due to being too low on the screen.

Letty - Grazing unfocused during a border supposedly helps your score a lot, but I understand you weren't really concerned about scoring

Stage 2 - Didn't really autocollect much even after getting Full Power. Died at Chen's spell, not sure why that happened. Then came a fairy collision death... :(

Chen - First spell captured, that's good. A lot of bombs were spent here. You should probably have practiced Chen a bit more. You captured her final spell, at least, though it took quite a while. I'm unsure of why you prefer persuasion needles to homing shots, because the latter wouldn't mind dodging from not under the boss.

Stage 3 - Did really well on midboss Alice. Also did good against the other enemies. Autocollecting would've been risky, so it was wisely avoided. Border was broken, but eh, it beats losing a life.

Alice - How the heck did you die to a diamond bullet in the first non-spell? And you died to her second non-spell too! Aside from that, Alice was pretty good. Captured everything but London Dolls, which I would say is her toughest spell. The Shanghai Dolls capture was really good.

Stage 4 - Early Stage 4 was surprisingly well, despite the lack of streaming. There were two wasted borders here, and they almost seemed intentional. If you were trying to break the border, you can just press the Bomb button to break the border, and even then, you should wait until the last moment. Also, should've looked to the left when those red diamond bullets were closing on you. Could've saved a bomb then.

Lily was done quite well. The part after Lily was done really well, despite the utter lack of streaming. Spent a bomb though. The yellow/green bullet fairies were dealt with very well. Then came the streaming fairies. The blue bullets were dodged really well (again, despite the lack of streaming), but the red bullets kinda screwed you over. Seriously, man, learn how to stream. Final fairy was also taken care of nicely

Prismrivers - Lunasa's opening wave consists of... sideways dodging bullets >_> Actually, that looks like it'd be very easy to screw up on, ouch! Her next non-spell seems lame though. For Phantom Dining, that is really not the approach I'd recommend, but hey, you captured it! And you got Lunasa too, who is imo the easiest of the three.

Lunasa's non-spell was dodged well, but I can't say the same for her spell. You were moving around way too much. I have no idea why. Prism Concerto was fine, though, you probably should've had more faith in Reimu's smaller hitbox slipping through the bullets. As for the final spell, uh, yeah, do be careful even when trying to move to a safe location. It's not always as safe as you expected it to be.

Overall: Your general dodging skills are good, but you move around unnecessarily too much, and you don't stream even when your life depends on it. Seriously, you need to practice streaming. Just think about it logically. Fairies are shooting streams of bullets that are aimed at you. If you move too fast, you'll eventually hit the wall and then you'd be trapped. On the other hand, if you move around really slowly, chances are that the firing will stop by the time you reach the wall. This is the most basic idea of streaming: move slowly to one side when there are streams of bullets aimed at you. Does that sound too hard?

Another thing is that some of your deaths happen when your situation wasn't threatening at all. I can only conclude that these happened because you weren't concentrating at the time of death. I'm not sure if you were distracted or something, but if you really want to relax, you should just hit the ESC button and pause the game. Otherwise, at least put some attention to your character even if it doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about.

And finally, the lack of practice was clearly reflected on your run. Screwing up Stage 2 is not normal, especially with your level of skill. I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually your first time in Stage 2 during this year. If you just made a few more attempts, I'm pretty sure you could have reached Stage 5 easily. So yeah, you have plenty of time for IN, so make sure you utilize the time well and practice.

Still haven't gotten any IN replays, Kalas-chan~

*prepares electrical shocks for Kalas*

Also, ZM, if you miss the deadline yet again, I'll consider having someone else take your spot. No point in a contest for 4 players if one of them doesn't actually participate.

EDIT: Just a heads-up, results might be a bit late today.

Edited by Scarlet

- IN Results -

No in-depth analysis from my side this time because I suck at IN.

1. Fera
Scarlet Team
Score: 1,649,624,260
Clear: Yes (2/0)

Chose Final B.

Lots of silly deaths with unused bombs, but pretty good scoring-wise, especially because you actually managed to endure all of Kaguya's Last Words without running out of time and even captured some of them.

2. Proto
Nether Team
Score: 1,244,053,140
Clear: Yes (4/0)

Chose Final A.

HouraiElixirCapture/10

You unfocus too early when bosses drop items. This way you collect the items with the gauge at -100% and thus at double value, but you also screw up collecting further time points unless you stay unfocused while fighting the boss's next attack.

Nice survival-wise as always.

3. Kalas
Border Team
Score: 398,649,820
Clear: No (Stage 5)

Much better than your PCB entry. A bit more practice (Stage 4 in particular took a disproportional amount of resources from you, and most of them were lost to random fairies), and a clear would've been perfectly plausible.

Note that in this game, you can already use the PoC even when not at full Power - you just need to tap the focus button for a short moment to use it.

IN is not exactly an easy game, so I'm positive you'll do even better at MoF.

No Entry: ZM
Magic Team

Rankings:

1. Fera: 20 -> 30

2. Proto: 14 -> 21

3. Kalas: 2 -> 4

4. ZM: 0 -> 0

That's it for Round 3. The deadline for MoF is March 19th. (Updated Timer)

Also, I'm looking for someone who's willing to take ZM's spot. They would have to stick with his draft picks, but would be allowed to retroactively send in replays for the previous rounds as well (and receive points for it, without affecting the others' rankings for those rounds) so that they have a fighting chance.

Edited by Scarlet

Also, ZM, if you miss the deadline yet again, I'll consider having someone else take your spot. No point in a contest for 4 players if one of them doesn't actually participate.

You know it's not my fault.

I hear that ZM is going to for sure have something for MoF, but I'll ask him to be sure.

Definitely.

I suck at IN

It's the bullet density, isn't it?

HouraiElixirCapture/10

Note: This was my first time capturing Hourai Elixir outside of Spell Practice

You unfocus too early when bosses drop items. This way you collect the items with the gauge at -100% and thus at double value, but you also screw up collecting further time points unless you stay unfocused while fighting the boss's next attack.

I thought anywhere between -100% and -80% will yield the same multiplier? Though, in all honesty, I never really took that into consideration. I simply unfocused because I can move faster to collect. In some cases, particularly against Reisen, spending extra time in auto-collection+returning can be suicidal. This doesn't apply to all cases, but it's easier for me to just stick to a single low-risk approach for all cases.

For Stage 3+ bosses, I generally like to stay as Yuyuko because IN's insane bullet density makes me really want to move slow and see my hitbox. I attempted midboss Keine with Youmu and screwed up (I think it was the submitted run) so I stopped trying to Youmu during bosses... or at all, for that matter.

In retrospect, I should have actually gone for Kaguya's route. I honestly believed that Hourai Elixir would be worth far more than Kaguya's Last Spells, which is why I decided to be satisfied with this run, despite screwing up on Eirin (only captured one out of three spells I normally capture). It was only until well after I locked my IN submission that I learnt that Kaguya's Last Spells actually EACH offer MORE points than Hourai Elixir. Which is really dumb imo (15 seconds vs 99 seconds?). In any case, although I'm certain that my score would've improved if I went Kaguya, I'm pretty sure Fera would've beaten me nonetheless because I could only capture like two of Kaguya Last Spells while Fera can potentially capture everything.

Nice survival-wise as always.

No wasted deaths this time, thanks to the huge Last Spell window.

3. Kalas

Border Team

Score: 350,974,610

Clear: No (Stage 5 Mid-Boss)

Wait, what, you never improved after that run?

No Entry: ZM

Magic Team

:(

Also, I'm looking for someone who's willing to take ZM's spot. They would have to stick with his draft picks, but would be allowed to retroactively send in replays for the previous rounds as well (and receive points for it, without affecting the others' rankings for those rounds) so that they have a fighting chance.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Puku-chan (Pukuriripo), Xenomic (Xenomic) and Shadie (ShadielTH). I can ask them if they'll be interested.

But well, I'm pretty sure ZM will submit something for MoF. It's the only game where he can fight his waifu, aside from SA Extra, which I very much doubt he can unlock at his current skill level.