【東方】 Yet Another Touhou Draft

Scarlet

...well, if you do have an improved entry that was made before the deadline, I'll make an exception just this once and count it, so go ahead and upload it. I know how much it sucks when things like these happen for reasons outside of your control. ;/

I sent in the updated run. So... like, I'll make sure to have an update ready before the day of next time.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- MoF Results -

1. Fera
MarisaC
Score: 650,771,420
Clear: Yes (6/4)

Just about perfect first three stages; you portray an excellent understanding of the Faith system and made good calls on when to use the PoC and when to collect the items manually instead to prevent your Faith from dropping.
Stage 4, however, had your first major screwup in that you killed one of the large bullet-spam fairies way too early, which caused your Faith to drop by a whopping 40000 because there were neither any enemies nor any items left on-screen. Ouch. Dying to Aya's final spellcard probably also significantly hurt your score. Even so, Stage 4 was still pretty good otherwise.
You made up for your mistakes in Stage 4 with an excellent Stage 5.
Decent Stage 6 as well... ...although that death to Mountain of Faith so shortly before the end of the spell was really painful to watch. I feel sorry for you. D:
Aside from the obvious "avoid the two deaths", I only have one piece of advice for you - if you bomb in order to collect blue point items, try to go above the PoC while doing so. Bombing does auto-collect items, but not at full value unless you're above the PoC.
All in all, a great run with a great score, congrats! You made very good use of MarisaC's shot type, too.

2. Proto
ReimuB
Score: 584,836,980
Clear: Yes (7/5)

...wow. If Fera's first stage was "just about perfect", than yours was completely perfect. It shows that you memorized completely where every single enemy would appear and how to best deal with it, leading to a beautiful performance.
Spinning around Hina while she was spinning around herself was a hilarious move! A bit later in Stage 2, your Faith dropped a bit (about 10k) when you killed the last fairy on-screen at that point while your Faith gauge was empty, though. I'm also not sure why you bombed during the transition from Stage 2 to Stage 3 while absolutely nothing was on-screen. Did your finger slip? Desyncs are weird.
Great Stage 3, although the (panic?) bomb against Nitori's final spellcard felt a bit sloppy.
Faith drop at the beginning of Stage 4; you collected the power items way too quickly. Pretty decent Stage 4. Survival-wise, you had everything under control, although scoring-wise, bombing at certain points would've gotten you a lot of point items that you ended up dropping because they were blocked by bullets. The boss fights were so-so, although the fact that you death-bombed thrice makes me proud. Survival-wise totally alright!
Stage 5 was great survival-wise, but really poor scoring-wise. You missed a positively ungodly amount of items here - a few bombs here and there to get them would not only have paid for itself power-wise, it also would easily have scored you another 100 million points. If it wasn't for this, you probably would've beaten Fera's score after his death to Aya.
Stage 6 was alright. Again, great survival-wise, improvable scoring-wise. In fact, if it hadn't been for the silly screw-up against Kanako's Hunting Ritual (which, I know, you've already lamented about yourself), you could totally have gotten a No Miss Clear.
Props to you, great run!

3. Kalas
ReimuC
Score: 52,729,620
Clear: No (Stage 4)

Alright first stage. You didn't manage your Faith gauge very well, but I understand you were more concerned with actually 1ccing the game before doing anything fancy like that, and in that regard this stage was perfectly alright.
Stage 2 in itself was alright as well, although the fight against midboss!Hina was poor. That death was unnecessary. ;/
(I think this is also the first time I've actually heard a full loop of Hina's theme in-game, haha)
In Stage 3 you seemed to have become a bit trigger-happy regarding bombs, but it worked out, so whatever works. You did alright for the most part - dying to two of Nitori's non-spells can be attributed to silly slip-ups more than anything. The first one in particular was due to greed. Power items are important, but don't go after single ones if it's just too dangerous!
I'm not surprised Stage 4 marked the end of your run, considering it puts heavy emphasis on streaming. I guess you could bomb most of it, but for that the timing of your bombs could use a bit more practice, too.

Notes applying to your run in its entirety:
I can't help but notice that for the most part, you choose very risky ways to dodge bullets over much safer ways. I'm not sure if you were doing that on purpose (...well, probably not), but that way you tend to needlessly endanger yourself for no gain (which also makes it harder to react in time to bomb if you screw up). Try watching your own replays - I'm sure you can spot what I mean if you pay attention (going right through a cluster of bullets instead of going around it, especially during the Hina battles, etc.).
You also kept doing the one thing I warned you about with this shot type - avoid sitting at the bottom of the screen during boss battles. Two thirds of ReimuC's shots will completely miss if you're too far away, resulting in abysmal damage output against bosses even at 4+ Power. It's fine during the stage parts to make full use of ReimuC's spread shot, but during the boss battles you really want to be a fair bit closer if at all possible.

All in all: you need to work on your consistency (that's mostly just practice, as well as knowing what's to come - watching others' replays can help with the latter)... ...and your streaming. Seriously, work on your streaming, dude.

4. ZM
ReimuA
Score: 10,263,740
Clear: No (Stage 3)

There's no need to collect all items manually. Do you know about the PoC? In MoF and all games after it, it's always active, so you can draw all items on-screen towards you by going above it. The exact threshold is about four fifths of the screen up, and briefly shown for your reference when you start a run in SA and all later games. Making good use of the PoC - even if just to collect Power items - will make your life a lot easier, especially here in MoF.
If you do have to collect items manually - for instance because going above the PoC would be too dangerous at that moment - tapping focus mode when close to them helps, as your item collection range increases a bit while in focus.
I'm not sure why you stop shooting occassionally; there's usually little reason to do so. Exceptions that come to mind would be enemies that release suicide bullets when killed, like most spirits in SA's Stage 5 - but I don't remember any enemies releasing suicide bullets in MoF.
Your use of bombs was, while maybe a bit panicky, appropriate if you felt overwhelmed by the situations you used them in - well done on that part! Your step to improvement here would be to gradually reduce the number of situations that you feel overwhelmed by, which comes down to - well, you probably guessed it - practice. Practice Mode in particular is good for this - you get the maximum number of lives for the stage you choose to play, so you can practice dodging bullets without concern for having to preserve resources for later stages.

Rankings:

1. Fera: 30 -> 40

2. Proto: 21 -> 28

3. Kalas: 4 -> 6

4. ZM: 0 -> 0

That's it for Round 4. The deadline for SA is April 2nd. (Updated Timer)

Edited by Scarlet

Though I am a bit embarrassed.

There's no need to be! You may not win the contest, but this is just for fun anyway. Just make the most of it!

Damn, Proto wasn't kidding when he said he put effort into MoF.

sgdsUcyl.jpg

wait a sec mof doesn't even have any lolis lol

The Aya death was clearly a sacrificial offering so that she would serve me well during SA. Useless passive ffmffrmff.

Edited by Fera

- MoF Results -

1. Fera

MarisaC

Score: 650,771,420

Clear: Yes (6/4)

Okay, I give up. After 296 attempts, I almost 1LC'd MoF and finally got a high enough score... and then Fera just roflstomps me after 34 attempts. Even if I didn't die to Hunting Ritual, the extra life would've only given me 20M, and I doubt the extra Faith would add the 50M I needed to beat Fera when there were so few items left... I guess it basically shows that I can't beat Fera no matter how hard I try >_<

2. Proto

ReimuB

Score: 584,836,980

Clear: Yes (7/5)

...wow. If Fera's first stage was "just about perfect", than yours was completely perfect. It shows that you memorized completely where every single enemy would appear and how to best deal with it, leading to a beautiful performance.

Well, Stage 1 is the only stage where I can safely achieve Faith optimization, so I decided to memorize everything. It also makes it a lot less messier.

Spinning around Hina while she was spinning around herself was a hilarious move!

Eh, I always did that, even before this draft. None only do I get to avoid the bullets but I get to auto-collect from whatever I killed when I was under them. I always thought that part was designed to be dealt with that way.

A bit later in Stage 2, your Faith dropped a bit (about 10k) when you killed the last fairy on-screen at that point while your Faith gauge was empty, though.

Well, I was kinda concerned about killing the fairies. Trying to optimize item retrieval over there could get messy.

That being said, I do usually get my second Extend before boss!Hina, so my delay this time implies that I messed up already somewhere.

I'm also not sure why you bombed during the transition from Stage 2 to Stage 3 while absolutely nothing was on-screen. Did your finger slip?

I had to recheck my replay for this... couldn't find any bombing. You sure it wasn't just Hina exploding?

Great Stage 3, although the (panic?) bomb against Nitori's final spellcard felt a bit sloppy.

I normally capture Monster Cucumber, but it has caused a few deaths sometimes, so I sometimes panic-bomb to it, yeah. 296 attempts made me a lot more careless during Stages 1-3; you should've seen the multiple attempts where I got Wriggle Kick'd by Hina!

Faith drop at the beginning of Stage 4; you collected the power items way too quickly.

Stage 4 is where my priority was survival over scoring, though I realize that I could've at least tried to Practice Mode Stage 4 to optimize scoring at the same time, which I didn't do.

Pretty decent Stage 4. Survival-wise, you had everything under control, although scoring-wise, bombing at certain points would've gotten you a lot of point items that you ended up dropping because they were blocked by bullets.

Again, Stage 4+ was a survival > scoring play.

The boss fights were so-so, although the fact that you death-bombed thrice makes me proud. Survival-wise totally alright!

Momiji screwup was not anticipated, but I knew she dropped at least 1.00 Power so I felt comfortable with bombing. Aya's non-spells are normally really easy, not sure how I messed up there. Illusionary Dominance, however, I would consider to be perfectly acceptable for bombing. It gets really tough when it's almost over.

Stage 5 was great survival-wise, but really poor scoring-wise. You missed a positively ungodly amount of items here - a few bombs here and there to get them would not only have paid for itself power-wise, it also would easily have scored you another 100 million points. If it wasn't for this, you probably would've beaten Fera's score after his death to Aya.

so if I just bombed more to a really easy stage, I could've beaten Fera??? Oh snap, I should've abused Practice Mode to optimize scoring here, because I do find Stage 5 easier than Stage 4!

What you didn't mention here, was that I screwed up on two of Sanae's easiest spells. But eh, I guess that's not relevant to scoring anymore.

Stage 6 was alright. Again, great survival-wise, improvable scoring-wise. In fact, if it hadn't been for the silly screw-up against Kanako's Hunting Ritual (which, I know, you've already lamented about yourself), you could totally have gotten a No Miss Clear.

Yeah, my keyboard didn't let me unfocus even after I released the button. It ruined my 1LC objective (which would've been perfectly feasible).

Props to you, great run!

Not only did I fail to 1LC, but I couldn't even beat Fera even though I tried really hard at MoF... :(

Seriously, work on your streaming, dude.

Haven't watched the replay but this was completely expected.

4. ZM

ReimuA

Score: 10,263,740

Yay, a submission!

Clear: No (Stage 3)

But no Sanae :(

Damn, Proto wasn't kidding when he said he put effort into MoF.

FYI my objective was to 1LC. I beat Raykitty~'s score ages ago.

wait a sec mof doesn't even have any lolis lol

Does Nitori count?

The Aya death was clearly a sacrificial offering so that she would serve me well during SA. Useless passive ffmffrmff.

I've already told you this, her passive lets her move super fast during the best bomb in SA, which makes it even more useful during stage parts. Stage 5 would be a joke with that bomb+super speed.

Eh, I always did that, even before this draft. None only do I get to avoid the bullets but I get to auto-collect from whatever I killed when I was under them. I always thought that part was designed to be dealt with that way.

...actually, now that you mention it, that does make a surprisingly large amount of sense. I'm not sure why it never occured to me to try that. xD

I had to recheck my replay for this... couldn't find any bombing. You sure it wasn't just Hina exploding?

Yes, I'm sure I saw a bomb (you went from 5 to 4 Power), but it wasn't there when I just re-checked, either. Then again, MoF is weird when it comes to replays and desync, so I'll just attribute it to that.

What you didn't mention here, was that I screwed up on two of Sanae's easiest spells. But eh, I guess that's not relevant to scoring anymore.

I don't consider any of Sanae's spells easy, so I may be biased. :D"

FYI my objective was to 1LC. I beat Raykitty~'s score ages ago.

tumblr_lgdmijhh9k1qcqfobvz.png

It's been a while since I played for score, but it's freaking MoF. I'll be damned if I can't get at least 600 million!

Edited by Scarlet

Okay, I give up. After 296 attempts, I almost 1LC'd MoF and finally got a high enough score... and then Fera just roflstomps me after 34 attempts. Even if I didn't die to Hunting Ritual, the extra life would've only given me 20M, and I doubt the extra Faith would add the 50M I needed to beat Fera when there were so few items left... I guess it basically shows that I can't beat Fera no matter how hard I try >_<

For the record, the first replay I sent in was 325M. If I didn't know you were putting effort into it I would've been beaten by a huge margin. And uh, judging from my saved pictures folder, Nitori doesn't count as a loli much. ZUN draws almost everyone flat, though, so ┐('~`;)┌

And hey, you've still got Demon Sakuya. This is just some despair-stacking before you beat me at DDC. (or TD, since you've got Youmu. Damn I love using TD Youmu)

It's been a while since I played for score, but it's freaking MoF. I'll be damned if I can't get at least 600 million!

Oh shit here comes the Lunatic clear.

Screw this, I keep getting surprise-blicked by fairies that spawn right in my face in Stage 4. <_<

Oh shit here comes the Lunatic clear.

Actually, I have already 1cc'd MoF Lunatic a while ago. :newyears:

Screw this, I keep getting surprise-blicked by fairies that spawn right in my face in Stage 4. <_<

Actually, I have already 1cc'd MoF Lunatic a while ago. :newyears:

Yeah, I meant you'd be playing for score on Lunatic or something equally batshit insane.

Yeah, I meant you'd be playing for score on Lunatic or something equally batshit insane.

...that's probably never going to happen. xD"

Okay I stand very much corrected

Aya's shot type is extremely fun now that I'm not a scrublord anymore

Weeeeeeee gotta go fast

...actually, now that you mention it, that does make a surprisingly large amount of sense. I'm not sure why it never occured to me to try that. xD

Because you keep trying to dodge it the hard way and missing max point value :P

Yes, I'm sure I saw a bomb (you went from 5 to 4 Power), but it wasn't there when I just re-checked, either. Then again, MoF is weird when it comes to replays and desync, so I'll just attribute it to that.

I thought it was only Stage 4 that had glitches but okay...

I don't consider any of Sanae's spells easy, so I may be biased. :D"

Surely you'd at least consider her last two spells easy, right?

I was referring to your draft run from last draft. I'm pretty sure I can get 60M if I 1LC...

For the record, the first replay I sent in was 325M. If I didn't know you were putting effort into it I would've been beaten by a huge margin. And uh, judging from my saved pictures folder, Nitori doesn't count as a loli much. ZUN draws almost everyone flat, though, so ┐('~`;)┌

So basically, me playing MoF in front of you was my big mistake, since you saw that I hit 400M.

And hey, you've still got Demon Sakuya. This is just some despair-stacking before you beat me at DDC. (or TD, since you've got Youmu. Damn I love using TD Youmu)

I have no TD Youmu experience, but I'm gonna love Demon Sakuya!

On... Normal Mode?

Don't worry, Proto, my resubmission will have Sanae!

Make sure it does!

(you do remember that I said Stage 4 is the hardest stage, and Aya is the hardest boss, right?)

Okay I stand very much corrected

Aya's shot type is extremely fun now that I'm not a scrublord anymore

Weeeeeeee gotta go fast

itoldyouso Edited by Railgun

Because you keep trying to dodge it the hard way and missing max point value :P

Well, "the hard way". Streaming works just fine. :newyears:

(In fact, on Lunatic, streaming seems to work better than spinning around Hina...)

Surely you'd at least consider her last two spells easy, right?

Her last one is easy. The one before that, no. I just captured it on Lunatic (because I had 0 Power lol), but it's not easy. xD

I was referring to your draft run from last draft. I'm pretty sure I can get 60M if I 1LC...

Yeah, I guess.

I can't be bothered to keep trying, anyway. Normal MoF is so boring after you've played Lunatic for a while. D:

On... Normal Mode?

Greed. :newyears:

Stage 4 is not a good stage to camp at the top of the screen at. :newyears: