【東方】 Yet Another Touhou Draft

Scarlet

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think this would be a good idea, because you should probably practice easier games on EASY MODO instead of trying to compete in a draft at this stage. DDC puts a strong emphasis on auto-collection, and Seija probably might traumatize you to completely demotivate you from attempting DDC again.

I'll be fine. It's not like I have anything to lose, anyway.

DDC is all about resource collection spamming, so I guess everyone can make it to 400 mills. (I recommend marisa A *slap*)

Edited by just an ordinary slacker

RAYKITTY~, I think you should put the timer in the OP

Uh, technically it's linked in the OP (just click the link to the latest results post), but I guess there's no harm in adding it anyway. xD

I can literally die repeatedly to Stage 1 SA

Isn't that just because SA Stage 1 is literally the hardest first Stage in any Touhou game? I've died more to SA's first stage than to any of its others (not including bosses). xD

Isn't that just because SA Stage 1 is literally the hardest first Stage in any Touhou game? I've died more to SA's first stage than to any of its others (not including bosses). xD

well, considering I can pretty much SA normal in my sleep at this point, no

cough, anyway

let's see about spamming dark spark everywhere

Thanks, Fera~

Much appreciated. :3

Anyway, here are the results of the final round!

- DDC Results -

1. Proto
SakuyaA
Score: 453,324,810
Clear: Yes (5/3)
Excellent resource collection in Stage 1. I don't think you missed even a single opportunity!
Stage 2 was much less stellar on that front; you often went above the PoC just a bit too quickly. Nice reactive deathbomb, though!
Too bad about the bombs against Sekibanki, but bombing beats dying.
Nice timing on the Stage 3 bombs, they both got you a life piece. Also, again, nice deathbomb on Kagerou.
Good judgement on your bomb use in Stage 4. Doing that WALL OF BULLETS part without bombing is ridiculous.
The death to midboss!Seija looked a bit strange, as if you didn't see that bullet coming and/or forgot you had a bomb left. For some reason seeing both "Bonus failed..." and "Full Powerup!" on-screen at the same time made me giggle though. xD
Good job on boss!Seija and the rest of Stage 5, though. Can't blame ya for the bombs on "This Side Down" and "Reverse Bow", and everything else was fine.
Were you getting nervous during Stage 6? That greed death looked completely out-of-place compared to the rest of your run.
You should really go practice "You Grow Bigger" in Spell Practice! It's honestly not that hard once you figure out what you're supposed to do. Aside from the clumsy last spellcard, though, alright fight.

Overall a very solid run! I feel that you've very notably improved compared to the beginning of this draft.
Have you tried DDC on Hard yet? I feel that you should be able to pull off a 1cc at your skill level.

Unranked. Puku
ReimuA
Score: 358,489,050
Clear: Yes (?/?)

(Would've scored 7 points)
You could've gotten a couple more pieces during the first Stage by "delaying" the collection of some items until going above the PoC would net you at least 20 at once. Also not sure why you just let that one bomb piece drop, but other than that, cool. It's immediately apparent that you're making good use of ReimuA's shot type.
Not sure if the bomb for the life piece shortly before the boss in Stage 2 was strictly necessary, but if you have trouble getting it without, then sure, decent choice. Cool Sekibanki fight, I like how you put some effort into racking up some Graze!
In Stage 3, you fell just short of a life piece at least three times, that was really unlucky. xD
You're also letting quite a lot of bomb pieces just drop! I mean, sure, a single bomb piece isn't super important, but it adds up after a while. ;/

...and again the replay desyncs - this time during the Kagerou fight! Why does this keep happening? :/

Forfeited!?. Fera
MarisaA
Score: 324,626,380
Clear: Yes (0/1)

(Would've scored 7 points)
Excellent resource collection in Stage 1, only the final opportunity missed. I also like how you actually went through the trouble of using your unfocused shot to get to 3 Power early during the Wakasagihime fight in order to finish her off more quickly!
Screwed up piece collection on the bonus fairies after midboss!Sekibanki and sat oddly far away from the boss during the midboss fight itself, but other than that, cool!
LOL @ the semi-safe spot during the Multiplicative Head card, that was hilarious! Sekibanki's aim sucks. xD
Why were you so shy to go above the PoC during Stage 3? The spirits fire mostly just suicide bullets (the normal blue ones shouldn't hit you ever, even if you're up there) - so if you don't want to have surprise bullets in your face, just stop shooting for a short moment when going upwards. ;/
All three Dark Sparks in the second half of Stage 3 got you a life piece, but I don't think those were really necessary on Normal. I guess that's what you meant by "the laziest run known to man"? xD"
Nice Kagerou fight aside from the screw-up on her third non-spell. >_<
Props on doing the WALL OF BULLETS part in Stage 4 without bombing, although unlike other shot types, Marisa could actually get life pieces here because Dark Spark is just that ridiculous. I guess you didn't particularly need them at this point, though. xD
...and then you died to the SUPER BONUS part. Actually, the entire second half of Stage 4 was pretty bad (although bombing still beats dying)... Your performance is oddly inconsistent at times. xD
...let's not talk about the BenBen fight. Although I'm not about to blame you for it; BenBen is stupidly hard for Stage 4 boss standards. It's pretty easy to accidently get walled by her non-spells, and screw that final spellcard. xD
Pretty good Seija fight for the most part, although not bombing to Reverse Bow when you were clearly about to get hit was sloppy. ;/
Nice job on getting two life pieces with just one Dark Spark in Stage 6, although you could've gotten tons more from the spirits that spam those big yellow bullets. ;/
As for the final boss... Could it be that all those NMNB runs have dulled your bombing skills? I mean, you did bomb, but most of your deaths could've been prevented by just bombing more. Almost all of your deaths had unused bombs left! ;/
Also, if you can't deal with You Grow Bigger, just spam bombs until it's done - instead of dying, bombing once, and then dying again when you were obviously not going to be able to dodge the next wave of daggers. D:

Also, throughout the entire run you stayed pretty far away from your targets even when it wasn't really necessary. MarisaA's damage output suuuucks when you're that far away - most of the time you could've had an easier time had you gone a bit closer!

2. Kalas
ReimuB
Score: 247,764,910
Clear: No (Stage 6 Boss)
Perfectly decent first stage. I especially like how you went unfocused as much as possible to increase your Power more quickly - wanted to have that 4 Power by midboss!Sekibanki, eh?
...but then you didn't actually use that 4 Power to roflpwn Sekibanki with your focused shot. Do you just like the homing charms that much? xD
...actually, why were you insisting on using your unfocused shot so much? I mean, the homing charms are great and all, but if you're directly beneath the boss anyway, ReimuB's focused shot does a lot more damage!
Nonetheless, cool Sekibanki fight.
Most of the bombs in Stage 3 were unnecessary - even in DDC, it's sometimes better to just let items drop if going above the PoC is too hazardous. Bombing to get items is only worth it if it nets you at least 60 - in other words, a life piece. Trading a bomb for a bomb piece and a few points is a losing trade, especially if you could just go above the PoC instead. You need to work on your judgement in that regard!
The Kagerou fight was a slaughter of your resources - try to either improve it with Spell Practice, or reduce your bomb consumption during the stage part itself. You're gonna need those resources later, so avoid spending them all on Stage 3! ;/
Not much to say about the later stages. Most of what I said about Stage 3 applies to them as well.
The surprise death to one of the fairies in Stage 5 caught me off-guard, though. I don't get why some of the fairies have collision boxes and some don't. xD
The bomb to boss!Seija's first spellcard was unnecessary. You had it in the bag - don't let the sound of the timer running low make you nervous! It's usually better to just time out a pattern than to bomb it, simply because the former doesn't cost you anything. The same idea as during the stages applies here - no point in spending a bomb to get only a single bomb piece!

Overall, it's good to see that you're making use of your resources! However, you're a bit too trigger-happy. Try to avoid bombing on parts that you can reasonably do without so you have more resources left when you do need them! Trying very hard to get a lot of bomb/life pieces is all good and well, but sometimes it's better to just let the opportunity to get a bomb piece go instead of spending a full bomb to get it by force.

3. ZM
SakuyaB
Score: 16,055,480
Clear: No (Stage 2)
Good job on getting the bomb piece from the opener, but other than that you didn't seem to try very hard to go above the PoC. While not terribly important in other games, in DDC, you'll want to catch as many items as possible by going above the PoC (or bombing, if there are 60+ items on-screen and it really is too dangerous to collect them otherwise), as other than capturing non-spells and spellcards from bosses, this is your only source of extra lives and bombs in this game!
It's quite possible to finish Stage 1 with your first Extend already in the bag!
You're also a bit too twitchy. I know criss-crossing bullets can be a bit intimidating, but try not to move too much when it's not necessary.
I see that you tried going above the PoC more in Stage 2, but ended up dying because of it. You'll need to learn to be able to judge at a glance whether quickly going above the PoC at any given moment would work out or likely get you killed. Usually, if you want to go above the PoC while stuff is going on, you'll want to do it near the edges (if the enemies are coming from above) or near the center (if the enemies are coming from the sides) because that tends to be safer.

You'll probably want to avoid making any serious attempts at DDC until you've become proficient at using the PoC even under pressure.

Rankings:

1. Fera: 62 -> 62

1. Proto: 52 -> 62

3. Kalas: 17 -> 21

4. ZM: 0 -> 2

...and that concludes the draft. I hope y'all enjoyed it!

Some moments may have been frustrating for some of you, but I hope that even so, you all got something out of all of this.

Forfeited!?. Fera

2. Kalas

ReimuB

Score: 247,764,910

Clear: No (Stage 6 Boss)

Perfectly decent first stage. I especially like how you went unfocused as much as possible to increase your Power more quickly - wanted to have that 4 Power by midboss!Sekibanki, eh?

...but then you didn't actually use that 4 Power to roflpwn Sekibanki with your focused shot. Do you just like the homing charms that much? xD

...actually, why were you insisting on using your unfocused shot so much? I mean, the homing charms are great and all, but if you're directly beneath the boss anyway, ReimuB's focused shot does a lot more damage!

Nonetheless, cool Sekibanki fight.

Most of the bombs in Stage 3 were unnecessary - even in DDC, it's sometimes better to just let items drop if going above the PoC is too hazardous. Bombing to get items is only worth it if it nets you at least 60 - in other words, a life piece. Trading a bomb for a bomb piece and a few points is a losing trade, especially if you could just go above the PoC instead. You need to work on your judgement in that regard!

The Kagerou fight was a slaughter of your resources - try to either improve it with Spell Practice, or reduce your bomb consumption during the stage part itself. You're gonna need those resources later, so avoid spending them all on Stage 3! ;/

Not much to say about the later stages. Most of what I said about Stage 3 applies to them as well.

The surprise death to one of the fairies in Stage 5 caught me off-guard, though. I don't get why some of the fairies have collision boxes and some don't. xD

The bomb to boss!Seija's first spellcard was unnecessary. You had it in the bag - don't let the sound of the timer running low make you nervous! It's usually better to just time out a pattern than to bomb it, simply because the former doesn't cost you anything. The same idea as during the stages applies here - no point in spending a bomb to get only a single bomb piece!

Overall, it's good to see that you're making use of your resources! However, you're a bit too trigger-happy. Try to avoid bombing on parts that you can reasonably do without so you have more resources left when you do need them! Trying very hard to get a lot of bomb/life pieces is all good and well, but sometimes it's better to just let the opportunity to get a bomb piece go instead of spending a full bomb to get it by force.

...and that concludes the draft. I hope y'all enjoyed it!

Some moments may have been frustrating for some of you, but I hope that even so, you all got something out of all of this.

What did Fera do???

That was part of a plan, I think.

In case you haven't noticed, most of my chosen shot types have PERSUASION NEEDLES in some form, so it's not that I liked the homing charms. I just thought that since they weren't all hititng the bosses so... (when being centered on the boss, there would be a bit of excess on the side, and that was a non).

I think I caught all the spells???

yeah I can't really DDC starting from stage 3.

I can't consistently any of the cards that aren't Sekibanki's or Wakasagihime's.

:<

Yeah, it was weird.

:<

unyuu I'm still getting used to this.

I know I did.

Auto sign me up for the next draft please.

Edited by Setsuna Sakurazaki

Hopefully the next draft isn't like, very very soon. I'd like to join again when that happens in the future, but only if it happens in like two months, or something.