"Arena" Palette option for FE7

Brendor

For those who ever played FE6, you may remember an option being available that allowed you to turn individual player palettes off; all the player characters would use an arena palette if this was turned off meaning the hair colour remains the same but the outfit conforms to a generic colour. Oddly enough, this same option was programmed into FE7 also but was never actually accessable (idk why but it just was) Making the option available though is incredibly simple, just change two bytes! Open up your hex editor and go to offset 0xADFDA, there you should see 00 78; change those values to 0F 20 and the option will then be made available at the very bottom of the options list.

Slight sideeffect: For whatever reason, there is a duplicate animation option right above the palette option. I have no idea how to get rid of it so if that's ok with you then you're good to go.

It's not necessary but if you're interested, here are some brief notes on 0x2020174, the memory address of interest in the options menu that was manipulated for this "hack" and the routine at 0x80ADFDA and the logic and instructions used to get the desired result.

0x02020174->determines the number of available options in the options menu; the default is 13(0xD). The 15th (0xF) option oddly enough is the FE6 generic palette option whilst the 14th (0xE) is a repeat of the animation option. Every option past 0xF is another repeat of the animation option; once you scroll down far enough(maybe about the 18th or 19th option) the game will crash therefore this value shouldn't be any higher than 0xF.

0x080ADFDA-> the instruction here is ldrb r0,[r0]; where r0 holds the value of 0xD. The next instruction is strh r0,[r1,#0x34] which stores the 0xD into r1(which is 0x02020174). If you look back at the start of the notes, we see that 0xD is the default value of 0x2020174 when the options menu is open, Our goal is to store 0xF into this address when the menu is open and it is achieved very easily; by storing a 0xF into r0 at 0x80ADFDA instead of 0xD(mov r0, #0xF). Hopefully the logic is clear as this is a very simple edit in the code.

Lastly, though they're not directly linked, you can use this in conjunction with my default options hack to turn UNITCOLOR off without leaving the player stuck with that option throughout the whole game.

Thanks for reading and enjoy.

Edited by Brendor

I already tested it, it works exactly the same way as the other animation option

Are you sure you changed the correct bytes to the correct values?

Ok if you read the notes you see that what the hack does is it allows access to X options in the menu, the default is 13 and you changed it to 15 so you have your 15 but idk why the palette option isn't there. Did you change something drastic already? Try it on a clean rom

Hmm, it works fine on the clean rom, but I didn't change anything monumental in my rom?

I'm almost 100% sure I haven't touched either of the locations mentioned in the note, so idk

Not really a big deal for me, I just wanted to try it out.

It's also not really the generic palette either; it just seems to change you into the arena palette

Edited by Skitty of Time

what it should look like:

LBR4ycW.png

@Kitty: maybe it had something to do with the options bytes. Do me a favour, in the rom you said it didn't work for, go into your memory viewer, go to 0x202bc38 and make that value 01, then go into battle. the player character should have a generic palette

edit: whats the difference exactly?

Edited by Brendor

Arena palette just changes the color of the outfit, not the hair color.

It also doesn't adhere to the current class it's being used for. For example, if you give Matthew Wil's palette, then put on the "default" palette option, the palette will not look like matthew's arena palette; it'll look like wil's arena archer palette on a thief.

abd623851e.png

example of such

example from fe7

bartre

dorcas

Edited by Skitty of Time