FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

To correct/add some things: The only modified roms I have confirmed working are "undubbed" roms. :P

Tales of the Abyss 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Code of Princess, and Conception II have all been, so far, undubbed. (I own copies of them except Conception II) But, of course, they're not perfect since there will obviously be bugs from repackaging the files and such. These roms have zero key encryption (no key encryption) since they've been decrypted, extracted and only repackaged back with Japanese audio files replacing English audio files.

There are also proof of concept edits floating around all over the scene, including GBAtemp. These range from model swaps, to text edits, to in-progress translations. You can run modified games. Now you can with the custom firmware, after converting a .3ds to a .cia file.

The new Sky 3DS flashcart claims to work on the latest version and supports loading ROMs for 3DS. Consumer carts have an arbitrary 10-game limit to encourage buying more than one flashcart. They began shipping the other night; as they enter the market, we'll see more clones appear and likely removal of the 10-game limit.

GBAtemp has officially changed its view from the 3DS not being hacked, to the 3DS being hacked.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-hacking-homebrew-read-here.373797/

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also proof of concept edits floating around all over the scene, including GBAtemp. These range from model swaps, to text edits, to in-progress translations. You can run modified games. Now you can with the custom firmware, after converting a .3ds to a .cia file.

The new Sky 3DS flashcart claims to work on the latest version and supports loading ROMs for 3DS. Consumer carts have an arbitrary 10-game limit to encourage buying more than one flashcart. They began shipping the other night; as they enter the market, we'll see more clones appear and likely removal of the 10-game limit.

GBAtemp has officially changed its view from the 3DS not being hacked, to the 3DS being hacked.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-hacking-homebrew-read-here.373797/

I've seen some of those proof of concepts around the scene, yes. The CFW is still pretty buggy, atm...

The Sky3DS still doesn't seem that great. Although, we're mostly just speculating things based on what we've seen, but it's very likely that it won't run modified roms nor can it run roms outside the region of the 3DS it's in.

Yeah, I noticed that thread earlier.

Saying this right now: All the stuff about hacking, installing .cia files, and playing modified roms only works for 3DS firmware v4.X. Some of this might change when smealum's SSSpwn exploit comes out and we get some lovely 3DS homebrews on latest firmwares. :P

Edited by Linkmstr

Sky3DS doesn't seem that great, when it apparently has system-level access on the latest firmware? Man, you're hard to please :p

Even though it's not really system-level access (Gateway team can already do that on v4.X, but they're restricting some stuff) and it's just a 1:1 copy of a regular 3DS game cartridge? That's why it has access to be able to use the flashcart on the latest v9.X firmware. Once Nintendo releases an update after the Sky3DS's release, I'm sure it'll be blocked quite easily. :P

Edited by Linkmstr

We'll have a better idea of what the Sky3DS does over the next couple weeks, as it gets into consumer hands :)

Well, it's already being shipped to resellers so it'll probably be a lot shorter than a couple of weeks before someone gets their hands on one of the copies to analyze and review it. :P

window_only.ctpk.lz_80(filemenu_window).

Whoahohoho... I wonder why those graphics were never translated...

Or is it a leftover copy of the Japanese one?

Seriously so much menu graphics. It's nice!

Edited by shadowofchaos

why bother translating something that's unused? it's one thing if it's just straight-up text, but it'd take a bit of time to properly clean up the graphic and replicate the text style; even if it wouldn't take THAT long, relatively speaking, it's still time better spent editing things which people will actually see without pulling the rom apart. and considering how slipshod the editing on some of the graphics which WERE translated was, i don't think we're missing much :P

Edited by bookofholsety

window_only.ctpk.lz_80(filemenu_window).

Whoahohoho... I wonder why those graphics were never translated...

Or is it a leftover copy of the Japanese one?

Seriously so much menu graphics. It's nice!

Those alternate difficulty labels are so much cooler (not to mention a bit more Fire Emblem-y looking) than the ones they actually used, wow.

Anyway, I actually made an observation of my own, which is that a lot of the geography on the "Distant Continents" on the world map is actually copied from northern, er... New Archanea? The continent's never given a name. You can see pretty much the entirety of Ferox on the distant continent, though, minus the Longfort and with a big plains/desert-y area added in the south. Some of the mountain formations are also moved around a bit compared to the main map.

Edited by Starlight36

I just dug into the system icons again and found 5 unused locations that weren't present on the final map:

qso22rB.png

(Original image: http://serenesforest.net/download/fe13/system/gmap_E.ctpk.lz_10180(icon_spot).png)

It's easy to see that 4 of them are just some kind of alternate coloring of the icons of the first 3 maps on the top row (which correspond Prologue, C1, C2 respectively). The 2nd and 3rd ones from left to right look pretty much the same to me. The only thing out of place is that weird mountain thingi (4th from left to right or 2nd right to left) that doesn't resemble any of the pre-existing chapter/paralogue icons.

For reference, there are a total of 51 locations on the final game's world map (including every paralogue and the Outrealm Gate).

Edited by Ryo

I just dug into the system icons again and found 5 unused locations that weren't present on the final map:

qso22rB.png

(Original image: http://serenesforest.net/download/fe13/system/gmap_E.ctpk.lz_10180(icon_spot).png)

It's easy to see that 4 of them are just some kind of alternate coloring of the icons of the first 3 maps on the top row (which correspond Prologue, C1, C2 respectively). The 2nd and 3rd ones from left to right look pretty much the same to me. The only thing out of place is that weird mountain thingi (4th from left to right or 2nd right to left) that doesn't resemble any of the pre-existing chapter/paralogue icons.

For reference, there are a total of 51 locations on the final game's world map (including every paralogue and the Outrealm Gate).

You're not the first to find those unused icons, sadly...

Could be a mistake but I noticed that Male!Morgan can support Female!Morgan.

Rightful God through breeding, canon.

So...

Chrom x Sumia

Lissa x Vaike

Frederick x Maribelle

Virion x Cherche

Sully x Kellam

Stahl x Miriel

Ricken x Panne

Gaius x Tharja

Cordelia x Libra

Gregor x Nowi

Olivia x Henry

Lucina x Laurent

Owain x Kjelle

Inigo x Cynthia

Brady x Severa

Gerome x Nah

Yarne x Noire

Because of not having an actual “fast” support, the following characters have been omitted to stay single in canon (or MU x MU, because two Morgans):

Male MU

Female MU

Donnel (Yeah, extra male gen 1)

Lon’qu (Makes sense)

Male Morgan

Female Morgan

Edited by shadowofchaos

Could be a mistake but I noticed that Male!Morgan can support Female!Morgan.

Well, that's no big deal I guess.

Yup, just a lazy copy and paste error on my part.

Well, it doesn't matter if you're first or last, so long as you figure it out : P

I noticed the extra icons a while back, but couldn't find anything about them.

Edited by VincentASM

Yup, just a lazy copy and paste error on my part.

Well, it doesn't matter if you're first or last, so long as you figure it out : P

I noticed the extra icons a while back, but couldn't find anything about them.

Aw... No OP pairing... D:

I've been doing a little work with the supports list on the site, mostly checking it all fits together properly and matches data from in game, and so here's my description of how fast supports build in Awakening:

It seems there's 5 categories of support type:

Superfast: 2/4/4/4 (e.g. Chrom x Sumia, Lissa x Vaike)

Fast: 3/4/4/5 (e.g. Chrom x Sully, Lissa x Frederick)

Normal or Romantic: 4/4/5/5 (e.g. Chrom x Robin, Lissa x Stahl)

Friendship: 3/5/7/- (e.g. Lissa x Chrom, most non-romantic supports)

Family or Relatives: 0/4/9/- (e.g. Parent x Child, Sibling x Sibling)

Note I'm not 100% sure on the numbers for the Family category - at least for the B support. I'm fairly sure the other two are correct)

You might be wondering to yourself where these numbers came from compared to the ones on the site, well, the numbers on the site have two properties to bear in mind: 1) They're all absolute totals, while my numbers are relative to the previous ones and 2) The data in the game adds 1 at each support. This is presumably as a way to track whether you've viewed a particular support or if you're just at the point you could view it. So yeah, that gives you the numbers I have. You'll also notice I have comparisons to the traditional support format in multiples of 9 if you hover over them, which should make the numbers easier to comprehend.

Now anyway, these numbers being very much not multiples of 9 makes me feel like our current explanation is... kinda incorrect. I'm not going to say everyone should switch to a different way of thinking about things, but now we have data from the game to suggest it's at least processed differently internally, so I'd like to propose back to everyone the way I think about supports and how they work. You might be pleased to know this one has less rounding to multiples of 9.

Supports build up in support points. Once you reach a certain number of support points, you can view the next conversation (and cannot earn more support points.

Some things give you support points directly. These are:

Pair up and trigger an event tile (random chance): +1

Converse in the Barracks (random chance): +1

Use a Seed of Trust item when paired up: +1

The other main way of earning support points is battling together. Battling together earns you battle points (BP - although this could probably use a better name but whatever). At the end of each battle, your earned BP is converted into support points. The following actions give BP:

Damage or kill an enemy with a Support Unit present (e.g. while paired up): +3

Damage or kill an enemy while adjacent to an ally (not the Support Unit): +1

Use a staff on or dance for an ally: +1

Activate a Dual Strike or a Dual Guard (random chance): +1

At the end of the chapter (and if both people survived if playing on Casual) you earn 1/2/3 support points if you earned at least 3/7/12 BP respectively. You cannot earn more than 3 support points from battle points, per chapter.

That's it. The 3/7/12 BP numbers should check out if you compare them to the current method (3 BP would be the same as 6 SP, which rounds to 9 SP etc). I think this way is simpler: There's no more rounding to the nearest 9 points, it separates out the battle limited points and 'unlimited' ones, and simplifies the numbers somewhat by dividing through by 2.

Anyway, this isn't the first time I've suggested this method of considering supports, but I think now it's actually not just another way of thinking of things but the correct way compared to how the game processes it (those rounding to multiples of 9 always bugged me).

So TL;DR: There are 5 support speeds. The faster ones take 7 chapters/battles at minimum to build supports, slower ones take 8. The game doesn't use a multiple of 9 support system.

Edited by Tables

Rightful God through breeding, canon.

So...

Chrom x Sumia

Lissa x Vaike

Frederick x Maribelle

Virion x Cherche

Sully x Kellam

Stahl x Miriel

Ricken x Panne

Gaius x Tharja

Cordelia x Libra

Gregor x Nowi

Olivia x Henry

Lucina x Laurent

Owain x Kjelle

Inigo x Cynthia

Brady x Severa

Gerome x Nah

Yarne x Noire

Because of not having an actual “fast” support, the following characters have been omitted to stay single in canon (or MU x MU, because two Morgans):

Male MU

Female MU

Lon’qu (Makes sense)

Male Morgan

Female Morgan

Sweet.
Meh.
Better with Fred than with Ricken.
Hell yes.
Adds a bit of truth to the official art for Kjelle, at least.
Eh...
This one was cute.
Noire is the only one other than Owain who can make that ridiculously orange hair look good.
Blonde!Severa is a beautiful Severa.
I love this pairing, sure.
Ew, no, eww.
Sweet.
This is fine...
YAY.
AND YAY.
No, Gerome deserves better than Nah.
This one is okay, I guess.
This is rather interesting. Some I like, others I hate, the rest neutral. I care too much about pairings lol.

Okay, I was wrong, Andrea has a portrait... but it's a blank one : (

His/her portrait is attached to MPID_T001ボス, which makes me think they were the boss of a cut tutorial chapter.

Nothing about Leopold or Tracie just yet, but I am noticing a lot of names I don't recognise.

icon_E_5BC00%28skill%29.png

I was surprised with this, but then I entered in the Spanish's Nintendo Guides and I read about the skills in the Fire Emblem guide. There was a list of all the skills you can get in-game, and then it says this:

Además de estas habilidades, puede que alguno de los personajes que consigas por SpotPass o por descarga en el Portal dimensional tenga alguna habilidad más. Estas habilidades pueden ser (Acierto +10, Atributos +2, Bailar, Conquistador, Dios legítimo, Don oscuro, Égida +, Emboscada +, Esc. de Iote, Expansión, Habilidad alóctona, Ninguna, Ofensiva, Paragón, Pavés +, Potenciar: Alma, Selene +, Suerte +2, Vínculo, Vista aguda).

Translation: "In adittion to these skills, it's possible that some of the characters you can get in SpotPass or in the DLC Gate* may have another skills. These skills can be: Hit +10, Atr +2, Dancing, Conqueror, Rightful God, -aversa's skill-, Aegis+, Vantage+, Iote's Shield, Limit Breaker, Outrealm Skill**, -?????-***, Agressor, Parangon, Pavise+, Rally: Heart, Luna+, Luck +2, -bride's skill-, Hawkeye".

*I don't know the exactly translation. Correct me, please.

** Allochthonous skill, literally. :/ (Thanks bookofholsety for giving the exact translation :P)

*** "Nothing". ://

Maybe this is because these people don't know how to make a guide, but Special Dance is in the list before this text, and there are some skills that I even don't know what can they be...

If you have a great Spanish level and you know better the words in English, here you have the link: http://www.guiasnintendo.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=344 (In "Habilidades").

Oh, and thank you for all the work you're doing decrypting FE Awakening. I've been following this post since it has started, good job with it! ^^

(Yune's English is bad. Just forget me :P)

Edited by Yune Liberty

Okay, I was wrong, Andrea has a portrait... but it's a blank one : (

His/her portrait is attached to MPID_T001ボス, which makes me think they were the boss of a cut tutorial chapter.

Nothing about Leopold or Tracie just yet, but I am noticing a lot of names I don't recognise.

by "blank", do you mean an empty file, or that silhouetted dummy portrait? dumb question, i know

** Allochthonous skill, literally. :/

oh that's the "outrealm skill", the placeholder for dlc skills sent through spotpass to copies of the game without dlc installed. you probably knew that, but i thought i'd clarify for others

Male MU

Female MU

Lon’qu (Makes sense)

Male Morgan

Female Morgan

Forever alone, much?