What's the preferred size for a custom portrait?

Lance-a-lot

I don't know much about importing custom portraits but I decided to look up what most of them were like in bing images and I found two different dimensions that were commonly used.

I found 102x89 and 128x112. So I saved some examples to my computer and looked at them in an image app and I found that the 102x89 were really blurry and poor quality.

I also noticed there were both .png and .jpg and so my question is if I was going to insert a custom portrait into my game which size and which image type should I be using? .png seems most common and 128x89 seems to be the best quality.

You want your portrait to fit in the green upside down T in this image:in1UaBd.png

The other squares are for the minimug and mouth/eye frames. (you should look up a tutorial for specifics)

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use .jpg.

Edited by L95

FEditor auto-converts and re-palettes PNG images anyway

e:

to answer the question, there is no preferred size; either they're 128x112 and they'll work (see L95's template for how they're formatted) or they aren't and they won't

Edited by CT075

@CT, gotcha, I assumed there must be two different sizes because of the large amount of both that I found.

But thanks that helps alot! I messed around with some samples and now I have run into the problem where the mouths dont line up correctly, I am aware that this is a common issue, is this the cause of poorly aligned and constructed portraits or is it something that can be fixed? Some samples work fine right away but others show the proper pallette in feditor but the generic frame underneath is misaligned and messed up and in game it is as well. The map chibi remains fine though and they are the right sizing and such.

HOW TO FUCKIN' FORMAT A BITCH IN USENTI

AN ANGRY YELLING TUTORIAL BY AK

STEP 1 - GRAB YER UGLY FUCKIN MUG
80350bd3dd05f0e378292ad8ca4f9511.png

Make sure this shit fits in the goddamn hack box, and check if it has 15 colors or less (not including background).

STEP 2 - PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT
42f715a5166b9e3797ffaa02eca5ac03.png

Slap that fucker into the template. Show it who's boss. Make sure it fuckin' FITS.
Save that shit where you can find it. DON'T FUCKIN' SAVE AS A JPG, MORON. USE A GODDAMN PNG.

STEP 3 - THIS IS THE POLICE, OPEN UP

22fb98bf880c6740da3cf61afd3a913f.png

Open that bullshit up in Usenti. Make sure you have your grids set to 8x8px, and that it's set to OPAQUE.

ZOOM THE FUCK IN SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE.

STEP 4 - THIS IS THE FACE OF A KILLER

6f3d77f3312682e776206b5b7db44102.png

Select a 4x4 square section of the face based on the 8x8px bits. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ENTIRE GODDAMN FACE, AND STAY IN THE FUCKIN LINES, OR YOUR SHIT WON'T LINE UP LATER.

Ctrl+C that shit.

STEP 5 - RED SAUCE ON PASTAAAAAAA

5dc525f18a0b12f9363bbb1c60144ea8.png

0fd52dff774499f1fb3cde02d483a1bf.png

Paste that shit and move it into the place under the purple box. This is gonna be your reference for the rest of the frames.

STEP 6 - I FUCKIN SAW WHAT YOU DID THERE, BITCH

ef7680479e7251edd7849419f4d12b35.png

Select the top 2x4 bit that encompasses the eye frames. Copy that shit and paste it in the purple box above it.

5036de3ec19f6b8239d64ea07a825aa1.png

STEP 7 - RINSE AND REPEAT AND REPEAT AND REPEAT

5036de3ec19f6b8239d64ea07a825aa1.png

Select the lower 2x4 bit with the mouth. Copy and paste THAT SHIT SIX TIMES into the boxes next to it.

720f9f27dd717a4cfca40f54816ee785.png

Save that shit and close Usenti.

STEP 8 - CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU FUCKIN WRECK YOURSELF

Open that bullshit up in your image editor of choice, see if everything lines up.

All the fuckin boxes except that 32x32px one over the top eye frames should be filled the fuck in.

f01e7a1473aa5ad565a733aad291363d.png

ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST INSIDE THESE BOXES WON'T SHOW UP WHEN YOU INSERT THE GODDAMN PORTRAIT.

STEP 9 - PROFIT???????????

00ed8bb34a9ea3707517efec931d86cc.png

Fill that shit in. Get your frames done. Make your fuckin' minimug.

Just remember not to fuck up the order of the frames.

Eyes - top: half-closed, bottom: closed
Mouth - top: smiling, bottom: neutral | open, half open, closed

ALSO FUCKIN CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT'S 16 COLORS OR LESS FOR THE ENTIRE GODDAMN SHEET. USENTI HAS A FUCKIN COLOR CHECKER BUILT IN, SO MAKE USE OF IT.

7e73bed63a850d28d2dd1c8730e588e1.png

THAT FUCKER, RIGHT THERE IN THE CORNER.

Edited by Etain

So I have some questions, they might be stupid so I apologize in advance. Alot of the bitmaps in feditor from the vanilla game have a different format than yours, they have a closed eye portion over a mouth portion instead of the full face with the closed eyes, whats the reason behind that?

Next question, I have a generic test portrait that I found online and if I try to replace any other portraits in the game with it then his mouth is floating in the wrong place and its just royally jacked up but all of it is correctly formatted, is it because Im replacing another portrait?

And my last question, when I try to increase the max index for portraits past E4 in Feditor it tells me "nullpointerexception, unknown cause" am I trying to expand into an array that is already being used so its preventing me? If I try to insert a portrait in E5 anyways it shows a tiny sliver instead of the full portrait.

I obviously have no fuckin clue what Im doing lol

You can drag the frames around in FEditor. Just grab the portions that aren't lined up right and line them up.

I don't know about expanding indexes, though. Might require some hex finessing.

Never mind. Apparently you need to save, exit, then reload FEditor.

Edited by Etain

So I have some questions, they might be stupid so I apologize in advance. Alot of the bitmaps in feditor from the vanilla game have a different format than yours, they have a closed eye portion over a mouth portion instead of the full face with the closed eyes, whats the reason behind that?

because you don't need to have an entire face there (and the actual in-game data doesn't look like that template anyway, the stuff you see is constructed by FEditor on the spot), just eyes and a mouth frame; it will in fact work if you take two 4x2 tile sections and jsut dump them there (obviously with mouth/eyes in the right places).

the tutorials just tell you to take the whole 4x4 block because it's easier and it doesn't change anything significant

And my last question, when I try to increase the max index for portraits past E4 in Feditor it tells me "nullpointerexception, unknown cause" am I trying to expand into an array that is already being used so its preventing me?

it's because FEditor is a piece of shit and you need to save-reload it to refresh the metadata

in layman's terms it's to guarantee that FEditor knows what it's doing by forcing it to forget about anything it thought it knew about this ROM and make up new shit for you

If I try to insert a portrait in E5 anyways it shows a tiny sliver instead of the full portrait.

i wouldn't recommend doing that Edited by CT075

Very true, alright well thanks for the help on figuring this out, everything is working as it should. But on a slightly unrelated note do you have any idea where I can get the forde or kyle portraits from the sacred stones beta? I wanted to import them as brand new characters but Im not sure where to find them. I dont suppose you could rip them in feditor seeing as how you have to patch a regular fe8 rom over with the beta patch and feditor doesnt let you mess around with patched roms.