Donkey Kong (Game Boy) Review

Zera

Greetings, folks. This is a review of Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, although most people refer to it as Donkey Kong '94. It is very different from the original, in the same way that Sonic the Hedeghog '06 is very different from Sonic the Hedehog. Actually, this game is the complete opposite of Sonic '06. Whereas that game was a glitchy mess that failed to lived up to the original, this game is actually much better than the original Donkey Kong.

You play through the original four levels of Donkey Kong, in what appears to be a straight-up remake.

But just when you think it's over, Donkey Kong suddenly kidnaps Pauline again, and Mario gives chase. Following these events are an additional 97 levels to play through, bringing the total to 101 levels. That is 2,425% more levels than the original Donkey Kong had. And the best part? These levels are really, really good!

The gameplay involves running and jumping like in the original, but many of Mario's more contemporary moves debuted here. You can pick up and throw objects, as well as perform handstands, backflips, and other crazy acrobatics. There are many new enemies and mechanics, like springs, switches, ice and sand blocks, and power-ups that let you place temporary ladders and platforms wherever you want. Your goal in each level is to grab the key and open the door. As the game goes on, the levels become increasingly complex, and you'll have to use some puzzle-solving skills to reach the key. The key returns to its original location if you leave it alone for too long, but it can be used as a platform or a weapon, and since you can't perform most of Mario's tricks while carrying it, your path back to the door will sometimes be different than the one you used to reach the key. Every level has a time limit, so you'll often have to think on your feet, adding more excitement to the game. If you collect Pauline's handbag, umbrella, and hat in a level, you will play a bonus game afterward for extra lives.

The game has a very nice difficulty curve, and some of the challenge comes from a few rather unique mechanics. Unlike in most Mario games, Mario cannot grab ladders in midair. He can grab vines in midair though. If you fall from a medium height, Mario will perform an involuntary somersault that can sometimes get you killed. Falling from a greater height will stun Mario for a few seconds, leaving him open to enemies. Falling from extreme heights will simply kill Mario. It's worth mentioning because it's ironic that Mario, of all characters, could die from falling from great heights. Luckily, the game is consistent with its rules, and the controls are solid, so I only experienced a couple deaths that didn't feel like they were entirely my fault. (There was one boss level, however, in which I threw several enemies at Donkey Kong that flew right through him, and I thought, "Where's your hitbox!?" That was weird.)

The presentation is strong. Everything looks nice and it is easy to differentiate objects on the screen. Mario, Donkey Kong, Pauline, and even the enemies are well-animated and exude personality. The music is very good, as far as Game Boy games go. Unfortunately, the 3DS eShop version does not feature the color-enabled-mode you could get by playing this game on certain consoles, so if you download it you'll be playing in black and white.

Donkey Kong on the Game Boy is a surprisingly excellent game for fans of Mario and Donkey Kong alike. If you loved the original Donkey Kong, this version will blow your mind into small, bite-sized pieces. If you have $4 on your 3DS eShop account, I highly recommend you download this classic right now.

9/10 Awesome!

And if you want even more of this kind of gameplay, there's Mario VS Donkey Kong for the Game Boy Advance, which is available on the Wii U eShop.

Edited by Zera

I'm pretty sure this is the first video game I ever played. My brother got a Game Boy with it for his birthday one year and I played it when he wasn't. Ah, the memories. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I may actually consider getting it with Club Nintendo coins.

Donkey Kong on the Game Boy is a surprisingly excellent game for fans of Mario and Donkey Kong alike. If you loved the original Donkey Kong, this version will blow your mind into small, bite-sized pieces. If you have $4 on your 3DS eShop account or 150 coins on your Club Nintendo account, I highly recommend you download this classic right now.

It is. It's on my wish list right now. I might get it myself just to round off the rows on my GB file on my XL.

I remember a family friend had this game and that I really liked playing it. I can't remember if it's on the 3DS Virtual Console or not.

If you have $4 on your 3DS eShop account . . . . . I highly recommend you download this classic right now.

The first game I ever beat on my own, I was six at the time. I seem to remember all the aeroplane levels being a pain in the ass, and the ice berg levels being my favourite. DK Jr. was an asshole, but I loved him anyway as he was my main in Mario Kart and I was always sad when you have to cage him in the final world.

All in all, I'd 100% agree with your vote, it is possibly my favourite GB game out there, which Bonk closely follows and then Kirby's Dreamland. I still have my beaten up copy of Donkey Kong, and if you look closely at the label you can still see the "O" and a bit of DK's smiling face.