SF Open Source Gallery: Frame all the mugs!

ghast

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

incredibly late, but its time to get this out of the way and get busy with a new theme

Open Source Gallery 3: Mages and Mercs

Maps

Aura Wolf

https://www.mediafire.com/?c3920zeo8wygf8x

jHWm92x.png

1XJjhRN.png

gyN8e9o.png

UXq3pYk.png

Mugs

Leviathan64

itkJ31O.png

Give credit if used

Gradivus0

rZ9zJgY.png

Credit requested unspecified

Edited by Ghastly

With Nickt's blessing, here is the new theme for the 4th OSG!

Submissions due December 1st. For this theme, you are encouraged to use only the Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn GBAfied mugs made by Nickt as spriting/splicing materials. For mappers, you are encouraged to make Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn maps.

The Radiant Collection!

eI7Zmjr.png

c4dPZJQ.png

AVdRAzS.png

KqUSfzR.png

gl/hf!

Edited by Ghastly

How about this:

We all, collaboratively and without secrecy, just drive to make the best and most comprehensive PoR/RD GBA-fied set of assets within the month of November. No PMs, just post when you're feel your asset is ready or you want help with / someone to finish it, so we can feel more like a team instead of competitors. We can build off Nickt's sheets as a base, but not required to or anything. Definitely would love to see some open-source laguz generics or whatnot.

If anyone feels like doing that, I'll be happier to participate and hopefully we can get a good bandwagon going or something.

How about this:

We all, collaboratively and without secrecy, just drive to make the best and most comprehensive PoR/RD GBA-fied set of assets within the month of November. No PMs, just post when you're feel your asset is ready or you want help with / someone to finish it, so we can feel more like a team instead of competitors. We can build off Nickt's sheets as a base, but not required to or anything. Definitely would love to see some open-source laguz generics or whatnot.

If anyone feels like doing that, I'll be happier to participate and hopefully we can get a good bandwagon going or something.

I'd rather the format for the OSG to remain the same. I don't think anyone here is feeling like its a competition for this event anyway. Besides, the better mugs for Requiem (which seems to have lost steam) is in need of a more teamworky setting you're suggesting.

Also, you don't need to use Nickt's mugs, but you're encouraged to. I personally just want to see the splices that people can come up with.

I'd rather the format for the OSG to remain the same. I don't think anyone here is feeling like its a competition for this event anyway. Besides, the better mugs for Requiem (which seems to have lost steam) is in need of a more teamworky setting you're suggesting.

Also, you don't need to use Nickt's mugs, but you're encouraged to. I personally just want to see the splices that people can come up with.

With the current format, it feels more like an creator is working on their own (like usual) for a random request. There's nothing that differentiates it from a regular competition aside from the fact you don't vote on it and the entries end up being open source. I don't see a ton of motivations on the event as no one's seemed to have made use of previous entries. I can see why this petered out. I suggested the alternative since there's been a push for finding ways to get the community to feel more like a community, rather than everyone doing their own thing.

Tbh the current theme seems very forced on satisfying one of nickt's old comments and selfishly motivated (the idea of using splices was something nickt already volunteered, but very few took up on it). Another reason for excluding the all must PM format is that it feels like you're getting to enjoy everyone's entries and know the level of participation before everyone else gets to, for something that's going to be OS anyways, the surprise of seeing everything at the end doesn't feel like a good exchange.

It's mentioned on the first post, atm Ghast wants mugs to be splices using Nickt's RD/PoR collection. I'm gunning for opening it up to any PoR/RD mugs, but I'm sure if you did either it'd be cool and acceptable.
Theme and important dates
1. The Fourth theme of the OSG is The Radiant Collection! Click here for Nickt's most updated portrait list. You are encouraged to use only these portraits to splice with. For mappers, you can make PoR and/or Radiant Dawn inspired maps.
2. The start date of submission begins now!
3. The end date of submission is December 1st.
Good luck! And hopefully we get a lot of participants!!! Remember, you can submit as much art as you want!

So to be clear, is the theme to create PoR and RD mugs or to use those to splice our own mugs?

use the PoR and RD mugs to create your own mugs is what I'd like to see. But if you wanted to do a general tellius thing then I won't stop ya.

With the current format, it feels more like an creator is working on their own (like usual) for a random request.

Can't you just apply this perspective to all activities in the spriting forum anyway?

There's nothing that differentiates it from a regular competition aside from the fact you don't vote on it and the entries end up being open source.
Yeah, that's the idea.

I don't see a ton of motivations on the event as no one's seemed to have made use of previous entries. I can see why this petered out. I suggested the alternative since there's been a push for finding ways to get the community to feel more like a community, rather than everyone doing their own thing.

I appreciate the suggestion for having the community feel more like a community and there's been a lot of progress on that front so far. But like I said, I'd rather the format of this to stay the way it is.

Tbh the current theme seems very forced on satisfying one of nickt's old comments and selfishly motivated (the idea of using splices was something nickt already volunteered, but very few took up on it). Another reason for excluding the all must PM format is that it feels like you're getting to enjoy everyone's entries and know the level of participation before everyone else gets to, for something that's going to be OS anyways, the surprise of seeing everything at the end doesn't feel like a good exchange.

I actually posted this theme earlier today and I ended up removing it because I didn't realize that Nickt took it down originally. This was always an idea I had for a theme ever since the beginning of his work. I spoke to Agro about using his stuff as splices like months ago and this seemed like a fun way to get started on it. And... yes, the format lets me see the work first, but that's the nature behind the gallery thing. The whole idea is everyone seeing everyone's work at the same time. Publically posting the mugs before they are finished is really spoilery and ruins the point of the whole gallery-releasing aspect of it.

Edited by Ghastly

snapback.png

With the current format, it feels more like an creator is working on their own (like usual) for a random request.

I feel like this is a just you thing. And can't you just apply this perspective to all activities in the spriting forum anyway?

It's certainly a me thing, I wouldn't presume to know if it was only me.

You can apply that perspective to a good share of image postings that happen on the boards, but that excludes all the feedback, collaborative games, and helpful edits and reinterpretation of ideas that also happen. Anyways yeah it was just a suggestion, run your event like you will.

use the PoR and RD mugs to create your own mugs is what I'd like to see. But if you wanted to do a general tellius thing then I won't stop ya.

It's mentioned on the first post, atm Ghast wants mugs to be splices using Nickt's RD/PoR collection. I'm gunning for opening it up to any PoR/RD mugs, but I'm sure if you did either it'd be cool and acceptable.

Okay, that's what I figured. I was kinda hoping it was that anyways, just wanted to clarify so I didn't just submit a remake of one of NICKT's sprites basically xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rosemary

w9p1J8U.png

jVCXZO8.png

Here's some stuff I worked on as well.

EOnMfAv.pnguwWmOUl.png

Does anyone want to help me with framing all of the unframed portraits?

Most of the open source portraits I've seen used in hacks have been already framed ones. So I want to go on a project to frame as many as I can. Does anyone want to help me out?

• 2 weeks later...