As many Branded as Laguz Tribe (spoilers)

Catalena

Hello!

So after playing again RD recently, I've come with that thought: what if they are as many Branded as Laguz Tribes?

Dragon - Soren (said in-game)

Heron - Micaiah (said in-game)

Lion - Stefan (from his name, relation to Soan)

Tiger - Zelgius (because he's strong and everything, and it's never told exactly what Laguz he is)

Cat - Amy (Callil's daughter; because of her wide-eyes which remind me of Lethe and Lyre, and it's known she is a Branded)

Raven - Petrine (because of her hair and her eyes, and it's known she is Branded)

Hawk - Volke (it's not told he is Branded, but I think that would completely fit the character: it would explain why he is so secret and everything; his hair could match, and maybe, when it's suggested in 4-5 that he worked for Izuka, he could have been a guinea pig for Izuka as a Branded)

Then, I don't know for Wolves, but since we didn't know they survived I don't think there would be any Branded with a Wolf parent.

So what do you think?

Tiger - Zelgius (because he's strong and everything, and it's never told exactly what Laguz he is)

From what I've read, the general consensus is that Zelgius is Raven branded due to the giant black mark on his back (where the wings would be) and the fact that he's fast for a General.

Third point: You can see Zelgius's mark and it looks like a bird.

Actually, I have a similar theory, except it expands slightly in that every Branded has story interactions with a particular Laguz.

So Zelgius could actually be a Hawk since he clashes with Tibarn multiple times.

Meanwhile Petrine is Raven as predicted because she allies with Naesala.

Similar case with Amy where she gets comforted by Ranulf the Cat.

So that just leaves Wolves and Tigers unaccounted for.

I think Zelgius is a Raven too. With the above reasons, and his double-life and loyalty.

I always thought Amy was Tiger because of Largo's strength. But then again, he was turned to stone during Ashera's judgment so Calill might've had the Laguz blood there.

Pretty big theory you have for Volke there.

I think Zelgius is a Raven too. With the above reasons, and his double-life and loyalty.

I always thought Amy was Tiger because of Largo's strength. But then again, he was turned to stone during Ashera's judgment so Calill might've had the Laguz blood there.

Pretty big theory you have for Volke there.

I'm fairly sure the game states she's adopted.

Yup Amy was an adopted child, and all we know about her is that she's branded

Like I said it's a personal theory, Zihark I am just guessing, but I feel like Tormod is because he grows very slowly in the games and (this is talked about in several of his conversations in RD) plus Murarim knows a lot about the Branded, he is the only Laguz to know that Micaiah is part Laguz without being told.

• 2 weeks later...

The Laguz "binomial nomenclature" seems to go something like this:

-Beast

--Lion

--Tiger

--Cat

--Wolf

-Bird

--Hawk

--Raven

--Heron

-Dragon

--Red

--White

--Black

Not all of those "species" have Branded of their descent. I think Nailah said something about the wolves of Hatari not having the same aversion to Branded as the other Laguz, and that there are many Wolf-Branded in Hatari; nonetheless, we don't actually see any.

Then, too, Soren is specifically of Black Dragon descent; there are no Branded of Red or White Dragon descent.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I agree with all of those mostly but I read and saw that other people above said that Zelgius is branded from a Raven. I've never actually considered Volke to be branded. Personally I don't think he is and I think we would know if he was but that's just me. But I agree with all of the other ones.

I don't believe Zihark is branded at all, from what I recall he was actually in a relationship with another laguz; I believe somewhere in Gallia? The game also goes out of it's way to inform us how Laguz can sense the branded and don't take too kindly too them, I can't imagine Zihark being able to live in Gallia for any prolonged period of time if he was a branded; hell even Stefan resorted to living in the desert.

Lethe and Mordecai didn't seem to sense that Soren was Branded, and Mordecai in particular didn't know that Stefan was Branded until Stefan explicitly said so. Mordecai might not have known that feeling uneasy around them meant that they were Branded, but he didn't even say anything about feeling uneasy around them.

In fact, the only Laguz who seem able to figure out that Soren is Branded are Nasir (who mentions it in PoR chapter 19, I believe) and Almedha (who specifically recognized him for his resemblance to herself, not for the fact that he was Branded).

Which is odd, since the Gallian (i.e. probably beast-tribe) Laguz that Soren met when he was a child certainly did sense that he was Branded.

Edited by Paper Jam

Lethe and Mordecai didn't seem to sense that Soren was Branded, and Mordecai in particular didn't know that Stefan was Branded until Stefan explicitly said so. Mordecai might not have known that feeling uneasy around them meant that they were Branded, but he didn't even say anything about feeling uneasy around them.

In fact, the only Laguz who seem able to figure out that Soren is Branded are Nasir (who mentions it in PoR chapter 19, I believe) and Almedha (who specifically recognized him for his resemblance to herself, not for the fact that he was Branded).

Which is odd, since the Gallian (i.e. probably beast-tribe) Laguz that Soren met when he was a child certainly did sense that he was Branded.

Probably not the best explanation but I came across this when I was reading FE tropes under Fridge.

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Ike and Soren's (and to a lesser extend, Soren and Stefan's) supports reveal that Soren is a Branded and the Laguz effectively ignored his existence as a child. Why then, did Lethe and Mordecai acknowledge him when they met? Soren was with Beorc. Those Beorc were willingly traveling with Soren, so to the Laguz that clearly meant they could not have known what he is. They had to acknowledge him, because otherwise they'd be forced to admit to one of the greatest secrets of the Laguz.

It's iffy, but it's at least something to keep the conversation going.

I suppose it's also possible, since Soren was in a group of Beorc, that Lethe and Mordecai were only able to sense that one or more of the Greil Mercenaries was Branded, not which mercenary in particular. And if Soren really was always at Ike's side, they'd never be able to figure out which of the two was the Branded either.

From <http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Chapter_15:_The_Feral_Frontier_%28Script%29>,it looks like Lethe and Mordecai were able to sniff out Stefan.

Lethe steps on Stefan's space

Lethe
Sniff... Hm?

Lethe
I...sense...something...

Lethe
...Grrrr...Must be my imagination...

Stefan
A female cat! Splendid! I've not seen your face in these parts before.

Lethe
Aaaah! Wh-where...Where did you come from?

Stefan
Oh, I see that I've startled you. My apologies.

Lethe
Who are you?

Stefan
If you wish to learn someone's name, isn't it polite to introduce yourself first?

Lethe
Grrr... I am...Lethe. From Gallia.

Stefan
And I...am Stefan! I live here in this desolate wasteland, playing at being a hermit.

Lethe
Is that so? Well, don't let me interrupt your...life.

Stefan
Oh no! Please don't worry about it.

Lethe
Oh, I won't.

Lethe
...And?

Stefan
What?

Stefan
Why are you standing there staring at me? I'm interested in Gallia's beast tribes. Fascinating, really. I have an idea! Can we go somewhere and talk?

Lethe
...I don't think so.

Stefan
Why not?

Lethe
My companions and I are in the middle of a battle! I've no time to chitchat with you!

Stefan
Very well... Then I will help you! And once this battle is finished, you'll have time to converse, yes?

Lethe
I suppose...perhaps...

Stefan
Right! Off we go then!

Lethe
...What sort of lunatic have I found now?

Mordecai steps on Stefan's space.

Mordecai
Sniff...

Mordecai
Urrrr?

Mordecai
Something's...here...Beneath...the sand... Mmmrrr??

Stefan
Nope! I'm over here.

Mordecai
So there you are.You are...good at hiding.

Stefan
To be praised by one of the beast tribes is an honor! I am Stefan! I live here in this desolate wasteland, playing at being a hermit. Who are you? I haven't seen you in these parts before.

Mordecai
I am Mordecai, a warrior of Gallia. This is the first time I have walked beyond the borders of my country.

Stefan
I thought that might be the case...And I was right. Hoooo! I'm ever so clever!

Stefan
Mordecai, listen here. I'm interested in the beast tribes of Gallia. Would you mind talking with me? I'll buy dinner!

Mordecai
Um... My friends and I are fighting, so I...cannot. Sorry.

Stefan
Very well, then! I will help you. Once this battle is finished, you'll have time to converse, yes?

Mordecai
All right. If you will fight with us,then I will call Stefan a friend. Later, we will talk about Gallia.

Stefan
I'm looking forward to it. Right then, off we go!

Mordecai
Yes! Off we go!...Right...then...

Edited by Paper Jam

• 2 weeks later...

(I'm sorry to reply one month later...)

So first, thanks for your answers. Many of you believe that Zeligus is a Raven due to his Brand. So I was thinking, what if we compare all the Brands we see? I don't think much of them appear (Micaiah, Zelgius, Soren on his forehead and maybe Petrine?), but maybe that would help.

VincentASM, I also like your theory, it works well. You can add Micaiah with Rafiel, and maybe Soren with Nasir (I think they were in bad terms in Path of Radiance?).

Paper Jam, thanks for that binomial nomenclature. Seeing things like that, it sure adds some Laguz with no Branded people. I always thought that Black, White and Red Dragons were closer than Cat/Tiger/Lion for example.