State of the FEditor Animation Topic

Primefusion

Okay, folks. Here's the rundown. The current FEditor Animation thread no longer has a steward to maintain it, and needs a new one.

I will be running the show from here on out. However, before I take on the large task of creating the thread (believe me, it's tedious), I need feedback on organization. In the past, there have been differing opinions on how animations should be organized. The way I see it, there's two different schools of thought:

1) Grouping battle animations by weapon type.

2) Grouping animations according to their "nature". This means animation fixes, animation edits, and original animations (i.e. from scratch).

These two schools have their pros and cons. #1 is inherently more intuitive... so long as an animation only uses 1 weapon type. As soon as it's 2+, it gets weird. #2 is a little janky to start with, but doesn't suffer from the multiple weapon types issue.

Post your thoughts here. If the discussion is substantial enough, I'll post a poll so we can vote.

If no one cares, then I'll be implementing #2 because it's easier.

If there's another sorting way you'd like to see, bring it up!

Either way, it'll take me some time to get everything organized and ready to go. So, you'll have to be patient.

Chat away~

Edited by Primefusion

I'm guessing it means someone finally kleaned his klok.

I'm in favor of option 2, but I would be more in favor of organising them by class before weapon type. Having to go into different categories for all the different weapons of a cav/wyvern knight/etc seems unintuitive to me. Above all, though, it should be Ctrl+F friendly.

Edited by Alusq

I would just leave it as it currently is. As far as transferring the thread over, it'd be nice if the mods could help you with that. I'd imagine/hope that regardless of how it's organized, any up and coming hackers would still just look at all the available animations anyway.

why would you take the time to re-do something that was literally just redone

just have ghast or some other mod re-convene the topic to you; why would you give yourself so much work for no actual reason

Prime offered to take control of the thread. And I wanted to know what would be in everyone's best interest.

I did offer to just leave the thread as it is to save the trouble. But Prime seems down to roll with what the majority of the people here would prefer.

as for Klok, he was at an extremely high warn percentage and the agreement was no rule breaking posts of any kind or he would be banned. He violated that rule. That's all there is to it.

as for Klok, he was at an extremely high warn percentage and the agreement was no rule breaking posts of any kind or he would be banned. He violated that rule. That's all there is to it.

So, in other words he got an actual banhammer dropped on him.

I'm guessing his post already got deleted by now.

Edited by Kiseki

So... Anyways, thinking about the thread organization. My question is, why not have both forms of organizing? One post organized by weapon type and the other post organized by animation type?

...I think that was how the last thread had things set up? Seems like the best of both worlds, though may be tedious to have to do both.

Although as someone suggested, could a mod not copy/paste the last thread's formatting over for you to a new thread? Would make the edits and reorganization a bit easier perhaps. :)

3) Grouping animations by their authors.

In that way, each author can update their own work freely like wiki, and the thread ver doesn't need to become 4.0, 5.0 or higher. Inactive members' work can be posted by the Moderator, because they don't need to be updated anymore. What's more, the permission and credit management will be easier. Additionally even if the thread's creator is banned or something like that, the wiki thread will still continue. Finally, the animations made by the same member often have the same style.

Edited by MisakaMikoto

Why don't we just promote some regular users into section moderators of the Resources/Questions/Concepts sections solely for the purpose of helping to edit these sorts of topics?

It's not like the Fan Project subforum has sooo much discourse that people are having flame wars left, right and centre.

It seems like a lot of work for my bae Keegs or anyone else to do on their own.

Yes, I'm volunteering.

The problem with Misaka's idea is that it hinges on wiki posts. I don't think we have those here on SF, do we?

Also, I'm okay with the idea of a janitor position. It would be easier than re-doing the thread from scratch.

The problem with Misaka's idea is that it hinges on wiki posts. I don't think we have those here on SF, do we?

Also, I'm okay with the idea of a janitor position. It would be easier than re-doing the thread from scratch.

Everyone can edit their own post, right? Let active members reply to your topic, one person one post, and then they can manage their own work by themselves. For example, you start the topic, then I reply to you with my work with only one post. If I make sth new, I will edit my post to update it directly instead of informing you of doing it for me. That's what I mean by "Grouping animations by their authors"---People summarize their own work in one thread, but everyone only replies it once. Use "edit" to update it instead of making a second post.

In that way, you only need to post the inactive members' work and needn't care the active members' work, because they can maintain them themselves. After all, you cannot be more familiar with them than their authors.

To conclude, you start a topic and each artist replies to it only once and use "edit" to update their own work by themslves. If someone replies to it, you won't post his or her work anymore. If the author is inactive/dead in this forum now, then you can summarize his or her work.

Edited by MisakaMikoto

From what I understand, Klok is working on an update to the thread and is going to let Prime post it, so there won't be any extra work on his part.

Why don't we just promote some regular users into section moderators of the Resources/Questions/Concepts sections solely for the purpose of helping to edit these sorts of topics?

It's not like the Fan Project subforum has sooo much discourse that people are having flame wars left, right and centre.

It seems like a lot of work for my bae Keegs or anyone else to do on their own.

Yes, I'm volunteering.

I suggested that Ghast find some helpers for the section a few days ago actually, if the two of you are interested then I can see about getting it done.

Edited by Tangerine

Everyone can edit their own post, right? Let active members reply to your topic, one person one post, and then they can manage their own work by themselves. For example, you start the topic, then I reply to you with my work with only one post. If I make sth new, I will edit my post to update it directly instead of informing you of doing it for me. That's what I mean by "Grouping animations by their authors"---People summarize their own work in one thread, but everyone only replies it once. Use "edit" to update it instead of making a second post.

In that way, you only need to post the inactive members' work and needn't care the active members' work, because they can maintain them themselves. After all, you cannot be more familiar with them than their authors.

To conclude, you start a topic and each artist replies to it only once and use "edit" to update their own work by themslves. If someone replies to it, you won't post his or her work anymore. If the author is inactive/dead in this forum now, then you can summarize his or her work.

it sounds like a good idea on paper but it would significantly clutter the topic and make things hard to find

also I'm a fan of grouping by weapon type, and while I check this place often there's not much for me

why am I even here and commenting this stuff I don't do GBAFE

Edited by Lamia

...well maybe a FE4 animation section might be nice for Lamia and those who use that system. >.>

Just throwing it out there...

unfortunately battle animation coding is a mystery... and even just the bare bones, sprite modding existing animations, is a lot of work methinks

other than making custom magic animations, I doubt we'll be seeing custom FE4 stuff anytime soon