Sequel Possibly in Development?

well technically the gameplay is a difference that can make you dislike a game, what i'm hearing is "wah someone doesn't like what i like, better place my tears in defense mode"

I never said that, on the opposite, gameplay is usually central and is the main reason I can think for disliking a game.

I thought the point I was making was clear "Why criticize the gameplay in this instance instead of the differences that make you dislike this game in particular ?" Because the gameplay of SMT/Persona/#FE is pretty similar, so unless you disliked SMT/Persona too, in that case, the game was probably not for you to start with.

Also, I don't really care if people like/dislike the game, I don't gain anything if Nintendo sells a few more copies, maybe some more people to discuss about the game with, but that's it. What I dislike is when I see people trying to find what appears to me as flimsy excuses to justify not liking the game "I don't like this game, so the game is bad". Seems much more dishonest than a straightforward "the theme of the game doesn't appeal to me" to put it politely, which seems to be the main complaint I've seen, and which I don't have any problem with, not being especially fond of the theme myself.

It was marketed as SMT X FE; Persona is firmly a spin-off on either side of the Pacific.

That was only mentioned the first time we've heard about the game, years ago and only once. More recently, it was Atlus x FE in Japan, which is more accurate.

More on topic, I've started wondering if instead of a sequel it wouldn't be more like some DLC or a "definitive edition" with some additions for the next Nintendo console, it doesn't match the "new RPG" mention, but that probably wouldn't cost them as much as a full sequel. It seems as (un)likely as a sequel though.

Edited by Avk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a sequel? I think they're crazy for doing it. Though I do think the game looks actually good like gameplay wise and challenge wise(Also the music is gdlk) I'm surprised they would consider making another sequel considering how bad it did sale wise(I know it was funded by Nintendo).

Well? I guess I'm game I hope they make some significant changes and I hope they add in more iconic SMT characters like Yuriko, Louis and hell give a reference to Aleph in some way all I really ask. touch up the gameplay a bit and maybe keep a balance in terms of I dunno I hate using this word "weebness"? lol. In my past posts I was pretty upset with how this game turned out and I still kind of am but meh I'll accept it for what it is. This won't affect either of the main series in anyway it was probably just something fun for the developers.

If there is a sequel? I think they're crazy for doing it. Though I do think the game looks actually good like gameplay wise and challenge wise(Also the music is gdlk) I'm surprised they would consider making another sequel considering how bad it did sale wise(I know it was funded by Nintendo).

Well? I guess I'm game I hope they make some significant changes and I hope they add in more iconic SMT characters like Yuriko, Louis and hell give a reference to Aleph in some way all I really ask. touch up the gameplay a bit and maybe keep a balance in terms of I dunno I hate using this word "weebness"? lol. In my past posts I was pretty upset with how this game turned out and I still kind of am but meh I'll accept it for what it is. This won't affect either of the main series in anyway it was probably just something fun for the developers.

You're right about the "weebness" factor, that's for sure. I was so open to this game because I like trying new stuff, but they crossed the line when they decided not to do english voice acting. I'm not saying I'm gonna discredit the game over its faults forever, but it better bring in some great reviews from american reviewers if I'm gonna buy it. I'd just feel uncomfortable buying a game filled with low necklines and battle cries in annoying little Japanese girl voices solely due to the brand unless the game behind it was worth it.

I think it's totally understandable why it's Japanese VA only... I mean more money and also have to wait for English VAs I think it's completely fine(Also the whole idol thing I don't think I wanna hear those songs in English personally lol)

But Um yeah maybe that was the wrong term. I guess I'm not a fan of the whole idol theme has nothing to do with either SMT, Persona(Okay maybe 4 lol) or FE :/ So kinda upsetting with that theme. I'm really curious to see what they do if the sequel is real. I'll blindly support it regardless cause SMT and FE both happen to be in my top 3 favorite videogame series of all time >.> and It's not like the game is Sonic Boom or anything so it's coo.

You're right about the "weebness" factor, that's for sure. I was so open to this game because I like trying new stuff, but they crossed the line when they decided not to do english voice acting. I'm not saying I'm gonna discredit the game over its faults forever, but it better bring in some great reviews from american reviewers if I'm gonna buy it. I'd just feel uncomfortable buying a game filled with low necklines and battle cries in annoying little Japanese girl voices solely due to the brand unless the game behind it was worth it.

I'm not a huge fan of most of the singing, but I'm getting it anyway. The Mute button works wonders on irritating voices. There might be an option to turn off voices altogether, too (I usually see it in voiced games, but I'm not absolutely certain if this game has it).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of most of the singing, but I'm getting it anyway. The Mute button works wonders on irritating voices. There might be an option to turn off voices altogether, too (I usually see it in voiced games, but I'm not absolutely certain if this game has it).

pretty sure it does (I remember a few moments where it was hard to hear characters so IIRC I changed up the volume), though I can't guarantee it'll work in cutscenes.

It was marketed as SMT X FE

no

It looks rather bland from a gameplay perspective, along with some absolutely stupid looking attacks. On top of being a mockery of both pieces of it's source material

I couldn't care less that you're not buying it, but it's because you have to share your opinion in such an extreme and provoking way that it starts up conflict and people aren't so willing to respect your opinion--because you're not respecting the game or its creators with your words

what i'm hearing is "wah someone doesn't like what i like, better place my tears in defense mode"

your exaggeration aside, it's the above that's causing problems.

if s/he had said something like

"It looks rather bland from a gameplay perspective, and I thought the attacks looked kinda stupid. Plus it's not representing the source material in a way I can appreciate it, so I'm not buying it" I doubt any reasonable person would have a problem with that.

of course since the flashy attack animations are a draw of the game and many people very much appreciated how much it draws from SMT (the series as a whole, including the main games, the Devil Survivor series, and Persona series that eventually became its own thing) and Fire Emblem (gameplay-wise, story-wise, character-wise, and even music-wise, with other references and inspirations and such), criticizing these in such a manner is basically saying 1 of 2 things about the person:

1) "I'm a jerk and can't share my opinion in a nice way"

2) "I'm bitter and trying to get out some of my frustrations by bashing the game"

not going to argue about the game itself, the real problem here are people's attitudes and lack of respect. Atlus and Nintendo collaborated on a very polished project that took inspiration from two major series and it didn't turn out like most people expected but I'd like to think people have enough tact to not say something like 'it's a mockery of the source material'--that's a bit rude considering that's a very subjective statement coming from someone who isn't a creator of the game or the material it took inspiration from and it's been stated to be/marketed as a new IP anyway

personally after the release of Fates, I would say TMS#FE is too good for the FE series. as much as I enjoyed all the references and such, it would be nice if it split off and became its own series so it's not held back by Fire Emblem, lol. sadly gameplay-wise I think that'd have some issues (weapon triangle, classes, etc.) so we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

A few new elements, it's nothing as tangible as the previous rumor (which still may be unrelated) but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hitoshi Yamagami, producer from Nintendo made a new blog post on the official site, mostly about the concert event which he attented along with Kitanishi-san from Intelligent Systems. Near the end of the post, he writes : "皆様を見ていて、幻影異聞録を終わらせちゃいけないなと思いました。", I won't try to do a direct translation, but if I'm not mistaken, it means that he doesn't want the #FE "IP" to end here (if anyone would like to correct me/confirm or anything, I would appreciate). It doesn't mean that a sequel is necessarily going to happen, but atleast he seems open to the idea.

There are also some reports that some voice actors and people involved also would like a sequel to happen (here Moroboshi Sumire, Tiki's voice actor), I think they hinted something during the concert, but not sure about that at all.

So, nothing concrete so far, but atleast it doesn't seem "out of question" like some people may think (I can't really blame them for thinking that though).

I am saying this now, this will come as a package with first game included like Bayonetta 2 did.

Not so sure about that, I wouldn't be against the idea, but there's less incentive to do that compared to the first Bayonetta, since the game wasn't even on Nintendo console.

Yamagami has become a pretty big wheel at NCL, if he wants it to happen, it will happen some way or another.

I see his name mentioned pretty often, I think he is also overseeing Fire Emblem from the Nintendo side, it's nice to see that he values the game and the fans (it also adds more RPGs to Nintendo library, so even if they don't follow up #FE, I would like them to keep making projects with developers like Atlus).

I've seen multiple japanese blogs (I don't know how relevant they are though, since I'm not very familiar with the japanese side of internet) make the connexion between what he said and the first rumor of avex doing auditions for a new RPG, nothing confirmed still, but it's a little more credible now.

I really didn't expect the concert event to have that much effect on the japanese side, if the game is well received over here as well, it may convince them to keep trying to grow the IP (it can already be considered as a FE spin-off of sort).

Yamagami is basically in charge of all the RPG's (except Paper Mario) on NCL's side, FE, Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc are all handled by his team.

From what I saw on GAF, merchandise pretty much sold out at the concerts, so there's certainly a hardcore crowd who will put their cash down. Also it seems like there was a promo for Persona 5 which drove up eShop sales for the past two weeks, even knocking Splatoon down to third place. I think NCL will decide to give #FE another shot, it seems to have that perfect storm of hardcore fans, developer will, and the benefit of debuting on a weak system.

• 2 weeks later...

Yamagami is basically in charge of all the RPG's (except Paper Mario) on NCL's side, FE, Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc are all handled by his team.

From what I saw on GAF, merchandise pretty much sold out at the concerts, so there's certainly a hardcore crowd who will put their cash down. Also it seems like there was a promo for Persona 5 which drove up eShop sales for the past two weeks, even knocking Splatoon down to third place. I think NCL will decide to give #FE another shot, it seems to have that perfect storm of hardcore fans, developer will, and the benefit of debuting on a weak system.

That and there's no problem with diversifying. Nintendo likes to experiment and cater to all crowds. Heck, if anything, Nintendo's IPs have only been getting more diverse and varied while other companies are struggling to even maintain the status quo

Edited by Aiddon