FE4 Translation Patch (Open Beta v7)

I have to agree with that. Just because the original devs didn't playtest very well, doesn't mean we shouldn't. Also, official localizations fix bugs all the time.

Yeah, they cut contents and make crappy stupid vergil too, and don't forget they often make the localizations version much more easier because they think western gamers can't handle it.

There are a lot of players who wants to play a completed translated game, and still feel the same way.

Edited by hanhnn

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should only remove the bugs that are purely negative, if possible, IMO. No point in preventing stuff like Seliph x Julia, even if I think it's weird and shouldn't be allowed.

Yeah, they cut contents and make crappy stupid vergil too, and don't forget they often make the localizations version much more easier because they think western gamers can't handle it.

There are a lot of players who wants to play a completed translated game, and still feel the same way.

Here we have a dedicated, unpaid group of fans localizing the game instead of professional people, such as those whom work for NOA. It seems clear to me that Project Naga is making an attempt to keep the story and characters as they were. It is true that localization can destroy things from the original product, but not if handled correctly. If you want an {almost} complete translation without any bug fixes or localization, go ahead and play the old patch. It works just fine.

@DDS, I understand what you're trying to do.

No one demands you to stop debugging.

You just need to take this into consideration.

as much as i love this translation patch, i think it would be better to leave bugs and glitches untouched, or to release 2 versions of the patch: one with fixed bugs and another without fixing anything

i know it's a bug and it was not supossed to be how the game would behave, but i would rather play the exact same experience just translated

just a thought

Edit: Actually, I'm waiting until the project is finished and the source is released, then I can start research it.

Edited by hanhnn

• Negative Speed Pursuit bug: I have only heard of this bug, and it seems like it would be almost impossible to replicate, let alone have an average player unwittingly active it. But if it does come up in testing, I would like to fix it since it does not seem to have any value other than hindering gameplay (freezing the game up).

It's the Adept skill, not Pursuit. The most common situation where this happens to players is having Leif equipped with a broken sword while having less than ~10 speed. Adept is AS+20% chance to proc, broken sword is 30 wt, so as long as he has 9 or less speed it will be a negative % chance.

• Seliph's Authority Stars bug: The game loads the number of stars from 2 different points in code, depending on whether you load a saved game, or when Seliph's stats are generated upon entering Ch. 6. The workaround was to save your game and then reload, which seems like a waste of time. Though there seem to be reports that this fix may have inadvertently patched the bug that allows Julia to fall in love with Seliph. I haven't investigated further into this to see why, though if it can be confirmed, I can look into an alternative way to keep that bug, or find another way to fix the star count.

I wonder if the (unmodified) game is mistakenly reading the stars from Sigurd's stats when you don't reset, and mistakenly applying his base love with Deirdre to Seliph for Julia. Since you fixed where it's reading from, it's possible that it also fixed the base love amount as well. As for whether or not it's still possible to make the become lovers via the jealousy system, I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the stars fix also causes it to load the proper jealousy order, making it impossible for them to become lovers that way either - looking at the jealousy page it says Julia is put ahead of Lana and Larcei if you don't reset, which fits with Deirdre being put ahead of Aideen and Ayra for Sigurd, since for whatever reason they only become lovers on the turn after she is recruited.

Edited by Hozu

I haven't actually tried it, but supposedly a reset does make it impossible by doing two things: firstly, it sets the love points between Seliph and Julia to 0, and secondly it corrects the jealousy priority for Seliph w/ females to be equal across all of them. Both of these together prevents the unintended pairing. If it were 490 base with fixed jealousy, you could have the two next to each other the entire time to counter the negative growth with the universal love growth, and when she's an enemy in the final chapter, their negative love growth for each other does not apply, so the universal +5 love growth for standing next to each other applies. So you need two turns - if the base love were 0, it wouldn't be possible to happen because of the 50 turn love growth limit.

If the jealousy mistake remains unfixed, it's still possible though, just takes many more turns to overcome base 0 love vs. base 490.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on this. Or maybe I can see if I can find the memory location(s) for love points and see what might be going on since I do have a save state at the end of chapter 5.

Edit: As for the authority stars itself fixing the issue, well... who knows? You would think that stuff would be tied to the character, but there are some odd choices like tying the ability to seize a castle to class instead of character (only an issue if modifying the game).

Edited by Hozu

Hozu is incorrect, a reset does not mess with Seliph and Julia's base love points, they start out at 490 (or at least high enough for the Augury to be freaking out about it). I can confirm that Julia and Seliph in a run with resets start with 490 Love Points, and have a negative Love Growth because the Augury progressively noted their diminishing interest in each other. This was admittedly back in Beta 5, but the changes that supposedly affect it were already rolled out by then.

I cannot confirm that they could still fall in love via the Jealousy shenanigans though if you don't reset though, but I don't see why not if the previous thing was unaffected. Given that the first generation have similar oddities for priority if you never reset, it seems to be unconnected.

Edited by Irysa

Really? I know in beta 4 the augury said that they were at minimum love amount when I checked it. Weird. Oh well, good to know that at least someone got it to work.

Edit: A second file I played does have them with a lot of love points. So what the heck happened the first time?

Edited by Hozu

Really? I know in beta 4 the augury said that they were at minimum love amount when I checked it. Weird. Oh well, good to know that at least someone got it to work.

Edit: A second file I played does have them with a lot of love points. So what the heck happened the first time?

From what i understand, there is a bug in the original game that causes them to sometimes start at 490 (jealousy abuse gives a net of +5 before a reset, so it takes two turns to get to 500 and marriage), and sometimes at zero (jellosy abuse still gives a net of +5, but it now takes 100 turns) . According to an old thread i found, It apparently has to do with whether Tiltyu is paired up for some reason (it initializes to zero if she is not paired up. If i had to guess, it probably has something to do with the fact that Julia is initialized in the same cutscene as Arthur/Amid. Amid's initialization script probably zeros out the wrong value or something). Although people encountered this bug in the old patch, it is not well known, so i could see people thinking you introduced it on accident. Here is a Thread discussing it: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36728&hl=%2Bjulia+%2Blove+%2Bpoints

Also, have you fixed the glitch where the same copy of lightning appears 2 times?

Edited by sirmola

From what i understand, there is a bug in the original game that causes them to sometimes start at 490 (jealousy abuse gives a net of +5 before a reset, so it takes two turns to get to 500 and marriage), and sometimes at zero (jellosy abuse still gives a net of +5, but it now takes 100 turns) . According to an old thread i found, It apparently has to do with whether Tiltyu is paired up for some reason (it initializes to zero if she is not paired up. If i had to guess, it probably has something to do with the fact that Julia is initialized in the same cutscene as Arthur/Amid. Amid's initialization script probably zeros out the wrong value or something). Although people encountered this bug in the old patch, it is not well known, so i could see people thinking you introduced it on accident. Here is a Thread discussing it: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36728&hl=%2Bjulia+%2Blove+%2Bpoints

Huh... but I paired her both times, to the same person no less (Azel). Though I suppose this is getting off-topic.

Huh... but I paired her both times, to the same person no less (Azel). Though I suppose this is getting off-topic.

No idea then. It's neve happened to me personally.

and make crappy stupid vergil too

okay i just have to say: if you're seriously still wringing your hands about vergil being Bad And Wrong And Evil four years later, after it didn't even make it into the goddamn patch, i can't exactly say you're making a convincing case for taking your worries seriously

(op updated with beta 7)

Edited by bookofholsety

Hello, fantastic job on the translation! I've run into a little problem and was curious if anyone here might know why. I have successfully patched the unheadered .ips file to the rom which loads perfectly on Snes9x on my pc. However I intend to play this game on my PSP using SNES9x Euphoria, and the patch seems to break it.

The empty ROM loads just fine on my PSP, but after patching it, or autopatching through the emulator, the game will not load and crash the PSP. Has anyone tried to play this on the PSP, or does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks in advanced!

Hello, fantastic job on the translation! I've run into a little problem and was curious if anyone here might know why. I have successfully patched the unheadered .ips file to the rom which loads perfectly on Snes9x on my pc. However I intend to play this game on my PSP using SNES9x Euphoria, and the patch seems to break it.

The empty ROM loads just fine on my PSP, but after patching it, or autopatching through the emulator, the game will not load and crash the PSP. Has anyone tried to play this on the PSP, or does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks in advanced!

It might be the size. The PSP emulators are based on older versions of SNES9x if my memory serves me, so it may not support the larger ROM size this patch uses.

Are there any plans to fix the glitch where defeating Julius with a unit with Canto ruins your combat ranking?

Out of curiosity, could you explain this more? I have never heard of this.

Out of curiosity, could you explain this more? I have never heard of this.

I haven't seen the bug myself, but apparently when a unit with Canto defeats Julius while still having movement left, the unit's loss tally increases, thus lowering your combat ranking.

I imagine the easiest way to trigger the glitch is to give the Knight ring to Julia and have her defeat Julius on your phase. Unless you feel like poking him for stupidly low damage for a long time.

It might be the size. The PSP emulators are based on older versions of SNES9x if my memory serves me, so it may not support the larger ROM size this patch uses.

Is there any solution/workaround for this? Or any chance the "final" version will be smaller? I definitely want to play this version so if anything I'll just settle with the PC emulator.

Is there any solution/workaround for this? Or any chance the "final" version will be smaller? I definitely want to play this version so if anything I'll just settle with the PC emulator.

DDS posted a link to a 6MB version of the patch here. However, it's based on version 5 of the patch, so it isn't up to date, and 6 MB is still bigger than pretty much every SNES rom other than Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, so there's a chance that the emulator won't run that either. It was also mentioned elsewhere in that thread that getting it down to 4 MB would require a complete rewrite, so a smaller version doesn't seem likely.

DDS posted a link to a 6MB version of the patch here. However, it's based on version 5 of the patch, so it isn't up to date, and 6 MB is still bigger than pretty much every SNES rom other than Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, so there's a chance that the emulator won't run that either. It was also mentioned elsewhere in that thread that getting it down to 4 MB would require a complete rewrite, so a smaller version doesn't seem likely.

Thanks for the info. PC it is! Learned new things today re Phantasia/Star Ocean's size (the benefit of being ignorant).