Sins of a Solar Empire

Rei

It's a pretty damn good RTS. It's about conquesting a star system (Or multiple). The games can take awhile, but it's really fun. It's like Master of Orion 2 turned into a real time strategy instead of a turned based.

Here's a battle

Edited by Rei

Awesome, I was actually just going to make a thread about this asking for feedback. I haven't picked it up. Looking for a few second opinions before I go ahead with that.

at first I thought this game was officially the awesomest thing ever.

Then it dawned on my it tried to mash-up to genres and fails at doing both at the same time as well as one title does one at a time. -_-

Also, lack of single player campaign is baaaad.

I love this game.

Epic scale, massive amounts of units under your control, incredible technologies, total system workedness, and an awesomely streamlined interface makes me love it. Music's cool to.

I just find it pretty damn solid all around.

How fast does the game play? If it's fast paced, balanced, and as neat as ZXValaRevan seems to be passing it off to be, I might look into this game much further. I personally don't mind if there's no single player campaign because I probably wouldn't have played it anyways.

How fast does the game play? If it's fast paced, balanced, and as neat as ZXValaRevan seems to be passing it off to be, I might look into this game much further. I personally don't mind if there's no single player campaign because I probably wouldn't have played it anyways.

From what I've heard so far, it plays incredibly slowly. It's in real-time, so...

It depends on your play style. It can play fast, and it can play slow. Things build relatively quickly, and it's not too hard to travel. I find it fast enough.

It's really all in how you play, just like any RTS, and, like most RTSes, it puts a bit of favor on those who can play it faster. :P

EDIT:

But yeah, battles can take a while, longer than your typical RTS. It's also one of those games that requires a fair number of units in order to rush effectively. Don't expect a C&C Zero Hour thing where you rush the enemy in the first 4 minutes with a pair of Dragon Tanks and actually manage to do something. :P

Edited by ZXValaRevan

It depends on your play style. It can play fast, and it can play slow. Things build relatively quickly, and it's not too hard to travel. I find it fast enough.

It's really all in how you play, just like any RTS, and, like most RTSes, it puts a bit of favor on those who can play it faster. :P

EDIT:

But yeah, battles can take a while, longer than your typical RTS. It's also one of those games that requires a fair number of units in order to rush effectively. Don't expect a C&C Zero Hour thing where you rush the enemy in the first 4 minutes with a pair of Dragon Tanks and actually manage to do something. :P

No 9 Pool or FD Terran either I assume, haha. It appears to have favorable reviews (but at the moment I've admittedly only looked at numbers). I'm worried about the speed, but that's most probably a result of my obsessive bias towards StarCraft. I assume you and Rei play the game on-line?

No 9 Pool or FD Terran either I assume, haha. It appears to have favorable reviews (but at the moment I've admittedly only looked at numbers). I'm worried about the speed, but that's most probably a result of my obsessive bias towards StarCraft. I assume you and Rei play the game on-line?

I don't have a legal copy. :P But I've played it LAN, and with friends, and it can be fast, yeah. I admit that it's not StarCraft speed, but it's still pretty nice.

And actually, 9 pool (or the equivalent) is actually pretty viable. Well, maybe ish. Essentially, you would establish a fair, although not amazing economy (in this game that would consist of building extractors on all your resource asteroids), and then quickly constructing a Fleet Factory and pumping out ~6-12 Light Frigates. Obviously, this doesn't have the same degree of speed that Zerglings would have, due to a lack of simultaneous buildtime, and it can be expensive, but it can work. Ish. :D

EDIT: Yeah, maybe that's not really 9 pool at all. :P

Edited by ZXValaRevan

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite a month bump or anything, but I do have stardock online for this. I have a legal copy.

Wist, it's not nearly as fast as Starcraft, but it's in such a huge scale and it's not too slow unless you drag the game out.

Though defenses are pretty broken though. A defense of just turret structures will need a nice size fleet just to take down, and it doesn't take too much to make those. But this game is EXTREMELY balanced between the three races, and there are more ways to win than just military conquest. (for example, your culture can pretty much cause revolts and remove planets from the enemy's grasp)

Edited by Rei

Not quite a month bump or anything, but I do have stardock online for this. I have a legal copy.

Wist, it's not nearly as fast as Starcraft, but it's in such a huge scale and it's not too slow unless you drag the game out.

Though defenses are pretty broken though. A defense of just turret structures will need a nice size fleet just to take down, and it doesn't take too much to make those. But this game is EXTREMELY balanced between the three races, and there are more ways to win than just military conquest. (for example, your culture can pretty much cause revolts and remove planets from the enemy's grasp)

Yeah. Basically, it's much less of a rushing game than StarCraft, a lot more focused on Teching and Defense.

It's an alright game, but the balance is very poor and there's little strategic depth to the game.

That's not important though. What really matters: are the ships cool?

You can't really see them most of the time if you're playing the game right.

True, true, but hey, although if the ships being cool is the most important thing, then I doubt you really care about winning anyway. :P