Choose Your Legends 8 is live!

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

fhEl9fO.jpg

This is the funniest ballot.

Vote Alder on the last day. Don't let a surprisingly interesting and nuanced NPC lose CyL for the third time.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

fhEl9fO.jpg

Who do I need to complete my list of old men who should have been in the game five years ago?

Not sure if you already voted, but there's also Hausen, Lundgren and Helman (I remembered because I was recalling FE7's characters right now)

19 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Not sure if you already voted, but there's also Hausen, Lundgren and Helman (I remembered because I was recalling FE7's characters right now)

Only Lundgren is an available CYL option. And for what it's worth, Lundgren tied Veld for second to last in CYL7 (both had just 3 votes each).

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Only Lundgren is an available CYL option. And for what it's worth, Lundgren tied Veld for second to last in CYL7 (both had just 3 votes each).

What the fuck?! Hausen is not even votable?! Sheesh... Well, then I apologize for the mistake. In any case, I didn't realize Veld was so unpopular, at least he is in the game already.

3 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

What the fuck?! Hausen is not even votable?! Sheesh... Well, then I apologize for the mistake. In any case, I didn't realize Veld was so unpopular, at least he is in the game already.

When Veld was released someone said something along the lines of "this is probably the least popular character to be added to the game so far", and honestly, it's probably still true. Dithorba probably has more fans than Veld.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

When Veld was released someone said something along the lines of "this is probably the least popular character to be added to the game so far", and honestly, it's probably still true. Dithorba probably has more fans than Veld.

This is Veld's CYL history:

CYL1: 742nd, 45 votes; tied with Byron, PoR Nealuchi and Safy
CYL2: 756th, 37 votes; tied with Thracia Diarmuid, Malledus and Sandima
CYL3: 554th, 34 votes; tied with Munnir
CYL4: 571st, 13 votes; tied with Jerome for third to last
CYL5: 478th, 26 votes; tied with Andrey, Osian, Valtome and Ymir (the warrior from Archanea, as FEH Ymir didn't exist yet)
CYL6: 496th, 17 votes; tied with Desaix
CYL7: 428th, 3 votes; tied with Lundgren for second to last

Meanwhile, this is Dithorba's CYL history: 

CYL1 - CYL4: not on the ballot at all
CYL5: 464th, 41 votes; tied with Safy, Tanya, Natasha and Brian
CYL6: 491st, 22 votes; tied with Lord Arundel, Lonato, Dalvin and Blake
CYL7: 306th, 128 votes; tied with Mamori & Draug, Yukimura, Lilith and Catherine

No, don't ask me why or how Dithorba made those gains in CYL7. Though at any rate, I suppose this explains why Catherine has no standalone alts despite being a female from Three Houses.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

CYL5: 478th, 26 votes; tied with Andrey, Osian, Valtome and Ymir (the warrior from Archanea, as FEH Ymir didn't exist yet)

CYL7: 306th, 128 votes; tied with Mamori & Draug, Yukimura, Lilith and Catherine

No, don't ask me why or how Dithorba made those gains in CYL7. Though at any rate, I suppose this explains why Catherine has no standalone alts despite being a female from Three Houses.

Looking at the data, it seems Ludveck, added to the game in the last Tellius banner, has a lower voting average than Veld. Which is a bit surprising, but I guess it demonstrates how CYL is not an absolute measure of popularity. Ask anyone who they like better between the two and I think most fans would say Ludveck, but they also aren't going to like Ludveck enough to actually vote him in CYL over there actual top 10 faves.

26 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Wait. Did they remove characters from the ballot? Because how come that Veld made it into 742th (not even being the lowest place) in CYL 1 but in CYL4 he was tied for second to last and was only in place 428? That'd suggest that -outside of the 24 winners from CYL 1-6- they removed almost 300 characters from the ballot.

Anyway, crazy how Dithorba manage to tie with Catherine (and also I never expected Catherine to place that low, figure that not being one of the students is a big disadvantage for her, in terms of popularity).

I was checking Emperor Arvis' votes right now (after seeing him on @Jotari's Battle Ballot of ugly old dudes, to see if and how behind he was to his Gen 1 counterpart) and apparently he was only added in CYL 5 (the Emperor version, obviously, his younger self has always been there), also it looks like his Emperor self even had more votes than his Gen 1 self in CYL (or at least I figure so, in the FE Wiki they only show Gen 2 Arvis on the results of CYL7). Neither of his versions placed too poorly in the last few CYL, and yet IS never gave Arvis an alt.

Man, I wish Emperor Arvis showed up in FEH one day, he is not even exactly one of those ugly old guys (like Reptor and Lundgren), he just seems like so because FE4's sprites make a lot of the characters look... a lot less beautiful than they're supposed to look (to put it kindly), in reality he's supposed to be only in his 40s, and you can see on the only piece of official artwork of his in Gen 2 and in this Cipher card that he's not even supposed to look ugly or old at all! He'd probably be pretty liked (even by the people that only wanna see pretty characters) if he showed up. Same with FE6 Karel. It's such a waste that they don't give anyone more than one OG alt, in cases like this (except Reinhardt and Olwen I guess...). Gee, I might even give Gen 2 Arvis my last vote (still not sure though, I have some other options for it too, but now I really want him to get something).

7 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Wait. Did they remove characters from the ballot? Because how come that Veld made it into 742th (not even being the lowest place) in CYL 1 but in CYL4 he was tied for second to last and was only in place 428? That'd suggest that -outside of the 24 winners from CYL 1-6- they removed almost 300 characters from the ballot.

No, the only characters ever removed from the Ballot are the winners (and their alts). The reason for placing discrepencies is because if two characters have the same vote total, they are given the same placing, and placings aren't skipped. So we can have like seven characters placing 456 or something and last place being something similar even thought there are almost a thousand participants.

I was checking Emperor Arvis' votes right now (after seeing him on 's Battle Ballot of ugly old dudes, to see if and how behind he was to his Gen 1 counterpart) and apparently he was only added in CYL 5 (the Emperor version, obviously, his younger self has always been there), also it looks like his Emperor self even had more votes than his Gen 1 self in CYL (or at least I figure so, in the FE Wiki they only show Gen 2 Arvis on the results of CYL7). Neither of his versions placed too poorly in the last few CYL, and yet IS never gave Arvis an alt.

Man, I wish Emperor Arvis showed up in FEH one day, he is not even exactly one of those ugly old guys (like Reptor and Lundgren), he just seems like so because FE4's sprites make a lot of the characters look... a lot less beautiful than they're supposed to look (to put it kindly), in reality he's supposed to be only in his 40s, and you can see on the only piece of official artwork of his in Gen 2 and in this Cipher card that he's not even supposed to look ugly or old at all! He'd probably be pretty liked (even by the people that only wanna see pretty characters) if he showed up. Same with FE6 Karel. It's such a waste that they don't give anyone more than one OG alt, in cases like this (except Reinhardt and Olwen I guess...). Gee, I might even give Gen 2 Arvis my last vote (still not sure though, I have some other options for it too, but now I really want him to get something).

I think he is meant to look old, but not because he is old, but because he's been living a very stressful life leading an empire that is slowly becoming a hellscape he didn't plan for, and because his son murdered the love of his life. Shit like that would give you a few wrinkles.

Originally, characters who appeared in multiple titles (aka mostly characters from Archanea and Tellius) had separate vote totals for each game they appeared in. For example, the Whitewing Sisters (Palla, Catria and Est) were all on the ballot three times (one for Shadow Dragon, one for Gaiden / SoV and one for Mystery).

They stopped doing this in CYL3, potentially because of Marth in particular really getting screwed by having two separate vote totals. If Marth had just one vote total in CYL2, he would've had 37,192 votes. That would've easily gotten him the second place male slot over Ephraim (31,027 votes), but instead Marth had separate vote totals of 29,058 (for Shadow Dragon) and 8,134 (for Mystery).

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

they also aren't going to like Ludveck enough to actually vote him in CYL over there actual top 10 faves.

Hey now. I voted for Ludveck. I mean, sure, I don't play Heroes, don't care who wins, and only made meme votes, but I still voted for him!

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think he is meant to look old, but not because he is old, but because he's been living a very stressful life leading an empire that is slowly becoming a hellscape he didn't plan for, and because his son murdered the love of his life. Shit like that would give you a few wrinkles.

That's actually a pretty good point. In the official artwork he looks a lot less old though, but maybe they were trying to make him look better there, instead of the opposite.

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No, the only characters ever removed from the Ballot are the winners (and their alts). The reason for placing discrepencies is because if two characters have the same vote total, they are given the same placing, and placings aren't skipped. So we can have like seven characters placing 456 or something and last place being something similar even thought there are almost a thousand participants.

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Originally, characters who appeared in multiple titles (aka mostly characters from Archanea and Tellius) had separate vote totals for each game they appeared in. For example, the Whitewing Sisters (Palla, Catria and Est) were all on the ballot three times (one for Shadow Dragon, one for Gaiden / SoV and one for Mystery).

They stopped doing this in CYL3, potentially because of Marth in particular really getting screwed by having two separate vote totals. If Marth had just one vote total in CYL2, he would've had 37,192 votes. That would've easily gotten him the second place male slot over Ephraim (31,027 votes), but instead Marth had separate vote totals of 29,058 (for Shadow Dragon) and 8,134 (for Mystery).

Oh, Ok, makes sense, it'd be strange if there were only 400 something votable characters. I find it a bit stupid that they let the characters tie, they should at least skip the placings. I wasn't aware that Marth had been that screwed too (back then I wasn't on par with CYL, not sure if I was already playing the game), that's pretty bad.

One thing I notice on the older CYLs is how much more votes pretty much everyone used to have back then, surely because you didn't need an account to vote before (or you had, but there was absolutely no control over who had several accounts, not sure which but it was something like this) so a lot of people probably just kept voting nonstop until they were tired, which ended up on that gross 3 Houses sweep. Glad they fixed that.

8 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Hey now. I voted for Ludveck. I mean, sure, I don't play Heroes, don't care who wins, and only made meme votes, but I still voted for him!

What were your other meme votes? Were they all for Ludveck?

40 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

What were your other meme votes? Were they all for Ludveck?

Ludveck, Elena, Seforia, Kyza, Kostas, Cervantes, Shiharam.

7 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Ludveck, Elena, Seforia, Kyza, Kostas, Cervantes, Shiharam.

Oh, ok! 

I'll show off my battle ballot too (or rather, tell who I voted to because I'm posting from my computer and don't want to go to my phone just to get a screenshot from my battle ballot): 

My first 4 votes went to Sharena (and I missed the second day of voting), and my final two went to Raigh.

Who did everyone else vote for? 

Edited by ARMADS!!!

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

fhEl9fO.jpg

Who do I need to complete my list of old men who should have been in the game five years ago?

Had some good suggestions, but my theme was more "Should be in the game now" than old man, so I went with Deghensea for my final vote.

My ballot was (in order by day): Ivy, Ivy, Ivy, Lapis, Citrinne, Hortensia, Cordelia

Yes, the one day where I didn't vote for an Engage character was the day of its first anniversary. I did not intentionally plan it that way, but I had to give my final vote to Cordelia.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

Yeah, but it's a case of you and what army? Ludveck has received a total of 42 votes over his three year CYL career, that's less than what Veld got in year 1. My point isn't that literally zero people have ever voted for Ludveck (no unit has ever gotten literally zero votes), it's that almost everyone would vote Ludveck as a better character than Veld, but almost no one would vote for either of them. Veld's benefit in something for CYL is that he's notoriously unpopular, so he gets more ironic votes and pity votes than someone like Ludveck, who is decently interesting, but not so much as to actually be popular.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but it's a case of you and what army? Ludveck has received a total of 42 votes over his three year CYL career, that's less than what Veld got in year 1. My point isn't that literally zero people have ever voted for Ludveck (no unit has ever gotten literally zero votes), it's that almost everyone would vote Ludveck as a better character than Veld, but almost no one would vote for either of them. Veld's benefit in something for CYL is that he's notoriously unpopular, so he gets more ironic votes and pity votes than someone like Ludveck, who is decently interesting, but not so much as to actually be popular.

It's not completely fair to compare a CYL career that lasted 3 years to the votes of year 1 CYL, everyone had way more votes back then than post-CYL4 (I got your point, just saying that Ludveck having less votes from the past 3 years combined than Veld had just on the first year can't decided who is more popular, which would make sense is combining Veld's votes from the past 3 years too). I calculated Veld's votes from the past 3 years and it's...46, still horrible but 4 more than Ludveck.

Also, isn't Veld the final boss of Thracia? How come he's so unpopular? Is he that bad? Or his case is something like FE6 or FE7, in which the main villain is not the actual final boss (because they were defeated a bit earlier than the final chapter)?

14 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

It's not completely fair to compare a CYL career that lasted 3 years to the votes of year 1 CYL, everyone had way more votes back then than post-CYL4 (I got your point, just saying that Ludveck having less votes from the past 3 years combined than Veld had just on the first year can't decided who is more popular, which would make sense is combining Veld's votes from the past 3 years too). I calculated Veld's votes from the past 3 years and it's...46, still horrible but 4 more than Ludveck.

Well my point overall is that CYL is not an absolutely accurate measure of popularity.

14 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Also, isn't Veld the final boss of Thracia? How come he's so unpopular? Is he that bad? Or his case is something like FE6 or FE7, in which the main villain is not the actual final boss (because they were defeated a bit earlier than the final chapter)?

In a way, kind of. The final boss would really be Veld and Raydrik together. Both of them are partners in crime responsible for petrifying Eyvel. And of the two, Rayrdrik is the one with more personality and more history. Veld's narrative role is basically just an extension of Manfroy and the Lopt Cult as a whole, only he's free to die because he's not in Genealogy of the Holy War. Both of them are also noticeably absent from the lengthy middle section of the game. Raydrik is killed in the second last numbered chapter (with a Paralogue to rescue Eyvel in between) while Veld is fought in the last chapter, but Veld does bring Raydrik back as one of the Deadlords for the final chapter. Veld is also infamous for just kind of being a weak final boss. His stats are on par with any other generic boss in the game, with some bosses even in the late early game being better than him in certain stats. Which means you can probably one round him with one of your characters, and even capture him. He does have a tome that can turn people to stone with a limited way to reverse it, but Thracia being what it is, once you can reach him, you probably will kill him fairly quickly.

So ultimately he's a bit of a boring character without much personality, just a generic lackey for his boss, and a bit of a joke as an actual threatening enemy in terms of gameplay. He doesn't do anything offensively bad as a character like, there's no decisions that don't make sense or anything. He's just kind of "Meh". Getting Eyvel stoned is the only thing really to his name, but even that (which is really well done) has more focus on the overall situation and context than specific focus on Veld as a character.

Edited by Jotari

I'd heard that FE5 is the hardest Fire Emblem game, while at the same time having the easiest ever Fire Emblem end boss. Guess that's likely true.

P.S. Reefer Madness-themed Fallen banner featuring Stoned Eyvel when?