Funny Math Idea

Ragnell

First of all, I do not believe this, it just makes a bit of sense and is very funny. I heard about this at my high school from a couple of funny guys in math, and built on it myself. All right, here it is.

Every student learns that 0 is nothing, and that there is no -0. This is false. Negative zero links negative infinity and infinity. Since 0 is nothing, negative 0 is everything. Or another way of putting this is that 1 is 1 away from zero, so its opposite is 1 away from 0 the other way. 0 is 0 away from 0, so -0 is all places away from 0. So in reality there is no number line, but a number circle.

Also, when you divide by 0, you get undefined. In fact, this is -0. It is called undefined because as you decrease a positive denominator, it gets larger. But if you increase a negative denominator, it shrinks. So undefined is both negative and positive infinity. And -0 is both, so it is undefined.

And finally, I'll say this again, I don't believe this. There is probably gobs of evidence to disprove this, but it is clever.

Edited by Ragnell

You can't have infinite nothing, though. It's like having no apples, and every apple in the world at the same time, in a world where there are many apples.

It's a nice idea, but it's flawed. That'd also mean that 1 is only 1 number away from infinity.

Funny, actually. I was having the same conversation today.

See, I like to call -0, 0i because 0 is without a doubt the only neutral number. That way, it is always possible to link the positives and negatives yet still allows the single neutral number to be a place holder like in 0.001x10. Having a negative neutral explodes the world, and no matter what I say when 0/0 or 1/0 and so on, {x|x>-.0000000001>-0) proves false, but if it were 0i, anything is possible.

0 is the neutral portal from positive to negative, keeping 0.000000000001x10^100 and -0.000000000000001x10^100 massively apart.

I have another funny little math question. If, when 0 is in the numerator, the fraction equals 0, then what is 0/0? Is it zero or undefined? The calculator would say undefined, but what is it really?

Edited by Ragnell