Just finished Berwick Saga for the third time

rdrouyn

Posted (edited)

Love Berwick Saga, probably my favorite Kaga Saga game. Thanks to everyone who was involved in translating this wonderful game.

Can anyone beat my final score? Shouldn't be that hard, I wasn't shooting for a high score. 

berwick_completion.png

My Final Roster (RIP Sherpa and Burroughs)

berwick_completion_final_team_1.thumb.png.be494caf9815fad109d07b21cb6441d6.pngberwick_completion_final_team_2.thumb.png.3f6cabf69d2aeeca390762fb24fa29e3.pngberwick_completion_final_team_3.thumb.png.dde13e74f3a4bc7da956f0fe10c820c9.png

Edited by rdrouyn

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, rdrouyn said:

berwick_completion.png

Can anyone beat my final score? Shouldn't be that hard, I wasn't shooting for a high score. 

That's not too shabby for not aiming to get a good score! In a couple runs you'll be shooting for maximum ranks. It's not as difficult as it would seem - trust me, I have done it. I rigged a ton of weapon rank levels and then ended up way overshooting the goal and being done by chapter 11. You just need good knowledge of the game and its mechanics.

Getting minimum ranks is harder

Edited by Saint Rubenio

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's not too shabby for not aiming to get a good score! In a couple runs you'll be shooting for maximum ranks. It's not as difficult as it would seem - trust me, I have done it. I rigged a ton of weapon rank levels and then ended up way overshooting the goal and being done by chapter 11. You just need good knowledge of the game and its mechanics.

Getting minimum ranks is harder

That's good to know. Do you know how each category is scored? I assume tactics has to do with turn count, Fame with completing all of the side missions (I only missed out on one, not sure why I'm down by two points), and happiness with side characters that are happy enough to join the party (which sounds impossible to max out in one playthrough, to be honest). Not sure what Completion is all about though. I wonder if that has to do with completing the item collection missions. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, rdrouyn said:

That's good to know. Do you know how each category is scored? I assume tactics has to do with turn count, Fame with completing all of the side missions (I only missed out on one, not sure why I'm down by two points), and happiness with side characters that are happy enough to join the party (which sounds impossible to max out in one playthrough, to be honest). Not sure what Completion is all about though. I wonder if that has to do with completing the item collection missions. 

Tactics is obtained by fulfilling a variety of objectives in each main map in the game.

Fame is about the citizen requests you get on main maps. Complete one, you get a point of this.

Completion requires you complete all side missions, craft all items at the atelier, complete Erzheimer's collection, get all bounties and buy all the furniture. Yes, all of it.

Lastly, there's a happiness point for each playable character in the game, and they all have their own requirements to obtain it - usually it involves seeing their character arc through and, if possible, promoting them.

You can check the rankings here.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Tactics is obtained by fulfilling a variety of objectives in each main map in the game.

Fame is about the citizen requests you get on main maps. Complete one, you get a point of this.

Completion requires you complete all side missions, craft all items at the atelier, complete Erzheimer's collection, get all bounties and buy all the furniture. Yes, all of it.

Lastly, there's a happiness point for each playable character in the game, and they all have their own requirements to obtain it - usually it involves seeing their character arc through and, if possible, promoting them.

You can check the rankings here.

I could see maxing out Tactics and Fame, but maxing out Completion and Happiness? I'd like to see someone who did that because that sounds impossible to me, lol.

7 minutes ago, rdrouyn said:

I could see maxing out Tactics and Fame, but maxing out Completion and Happiness? I'd like to see someone who did that because that sounds impossible to me, lol.

It does sound impossible haha, it certainly did to me before I did it. But really, once you have a hang on the game, its mechanics and its maps, it's not as difficult as it appears.

The trick to happiness is to rotate your team, prioritize units who need to be recruited/promoted when deploying and bench units who are already promoted and/or permanently recruited unless you absolutely need them for something. It's counter-intuitive, I know, you just got your unit all upgraded and can't use them any longer. Think of them as "complete" and focus on "completing" every unit that remains. Also, every wplvl point you can get from level ups is welcome.

As for completion, get the treasure first and rig it to always yield treasures. If you get it before... I think chapter 5 and get a treasure from it every chapter, it ends up giving you a profit by the end of the game. Also, trying to capture all the bounties for extra money is nice - not strictly necessary, but it gives you some much welcome leeway. Beyond that, you just need to be thrifty with your weapon purchases. Don't try to outfit all your units with generic weapons from the store. The game gives you plenty of material to work with. Focus on relevant weapon purchases, food from the restaurant and, of course, on the obligatory rank investments. Oh, and don't forget to capture a bandit axe - it's the only blacksmith weapon you can't ever buy or obtain from a drop!