Idea: Fightasmic/Epiclash - Disney's answer to NASB and MultiVersus

Lord_Brand

A few years back, I posted a topic asking what we'd like to see in a "Disney Smash" game. Lately, I've been doing more cooking on the idea, so I'm looking to revisit it in a new topic where I share some thoughts I've come up with since.

First off, the name. Up until now, I didn't have a concrete idea for a name, but a combination of "fight" and "Fantasmic" stuck out at me, and thus I'm sticking with that for now. "Fightasmic" does also refer to fights breaking out at Disney theme parks in real life, unfortunately, so if anyone has a better name suggestion, I'm all (mouse) ears. I do like the sound of "Fightasmic" though.

Secondly, from a marketing standpoint Disney probably wouldn't want to play up heroes beating each other up even though that would be perfectly possible in the game, so I figure they'd adopt a "Heroes vs. Villains" theme and play that up in advertisements and story. Even the intro would depict the heroes mainly fighting the villains and vice versa, with perhaps a few wild cards like Stitch in there.

Speaking of the intro, I think it'd be neat if Disney licensed Nightwish's Fantasmic song to serve as a theme for the game.

Fighters in Fantasmic are currently grouped into one of three categories indicating their playstyle.

• Agility fighters specialize in moving around the stage and launching quick attacks to rack up damage. Examples include Merlin, Aladdin, and Kim Possible.
  • Power fighters hit hard and have lots of knockout hits. They tend to be the heaviest and hardest to knock out in turn. They also excel at destroying or throwing interactive objects such as boulders and chunks of pillar. Examples include Pete, Hercules, and Goliath.
  • Range fighters use a lot of projectiles or melee attacks with considerable reach, and usually prefer fighting from a distance. Examples include Maleficent, Rapunzel, and Elsa.

This isn't to say a fighter of one type can't have any moves or traits of another; plenty of fighters have projectiles, including those who aren't considered Range-type, the Range-types just focus primarily on ranged combat while Agility and Power both have more up-close attack options, and in the case of Agility and Power, their projectiles tend to compliment their preferred fighting styles. Aladdin for example can throw apples to rack up damage to an opponent from a distance, but his main knockout moves will encourage him to close in using his speed.

These are my thoughts for now. I'll probably post lots of rosterbuilding and other ideas later. Feel free to suggest, discuss, etc.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

First off, the name. Up until now, I didn't have a concrete idea for a name, but a combination of "fight" and "Fantasmic" stuck out at me, and thus I'm sticking with that for now. "Fightasmic" does also refer to fights breaking out at Disney theme parks in real life, unfortunately, so if anyone has a better name suggestion, I'm all (mouse) ears. I do like the sound of "Fightasmic" though.

Gonna be real here: I immediately read this as a cross between "fight" and "orgasmic". Not really fitting the Disney brand. I'd go so far as to say that "-asmic", as a suffix, should be off the table, unfortunately.

Instead, how about "Fightasia"? Take Disney's original crossover hit - the film Fantasia, which crossed music and animation in diverse manners - and put a "Fight" in front of it? Same spirit, but with no risks of dirty minds construing any unintended meaning.

Incidentally, "Fantasmic" is a performance Disney puts on at their theme parks. "Fightasia" isn't bad, though I can already see the "Fight Asia" jokes that would inevitably spawn from that. How about something like "Fight of Fantasy" or "Magic Kingdom Battle"?

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Incidentally, "Fantasmic" is a performance Disney puts on at their theme parks. "Fightasia" isn't bad, though I can already see the "Fight Asia" jokes that would inevitably spawn from that. How about something like "Fight of Fantasy" or "Magic Kingdom Battle"?

Hm... well, I didn't know all that. And you have a point, that "Fightasia" wouldn't be perfect, either. Maybe... "Fightasy"? Combining Fighting with Fantasy. If you want to stick with "Fightasmic", though, it's your thread, so go ahead. ...I'll just be stifling my laughter at the implications.

As for the latter two proposals, they definitely sound more like taglines than titles in their own right. So something like "Fightasy: Fight of Fantasy" could work, even if it's a bit redundant. Or "Fightasmic: Roundhouse of Mouse". A subtitle could help explain more, but I think the main title should be one-word. Akin to "Lorcana", their card game.

Speaking of which, make sure you sound out how any title will sound with "Disney's" in front of it. Because you just know they'll be branding this thing as "Disney's Clobberella", rather than just "Clobberella".

• Lord_Brand changed the title to Idea: Fightasmic/Epiclash - Disney's answer to NASB and MultiVersus