Fire Emblem Esque

Recently I've been needing a fix of a new SRPG similar to FE on PC, I've already played Tactics Ogre, Triangle Strategy, XCOM, and Vesteria Saga and was wondering if anyone here in the forest knew of any other titles that would scratch this itch for me. Just to be clear I'd prefer a game closer to FEs style than anything else, so keep that in mind please.

What exactly do you mean with FE's style? It's not exactly uniform.

Anyway, I for one never(?) miss the chance to recommend Super Robot Wars for anyone looking to play SRPG's. Though options for PC are limited. Only SRW 30 can be obtained worldwide, but it's there.

Project X Zone is kind of like FE, with the second game even having Chrom and Lucina as playable characters. Just note that both games pretty pricy when you search for them on secondhand stores.

I don't strongly recommend it, but there's a game called Dark Deity which plays kinda like Fire Emblem. Check it out on steam if you want. There's also a game that should come out this year called Gales of Nayeli - I haven't looked at the details that much, so it could be bad or it could be good. Langrisser 1 and 2 look pretty similar to Fire Emblem also. I haven't played those. If you liked XCom you could try Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. Again, look into it, because I haven't played more than a couple chapters.

I would encourage you to seek out Fire Emblem Rom Hacks. Lot of great, finished projects out there. I haven't played an SRPG that I think does Fire Emblem as well as those. 

Wildermyth, Wargroove, and Renowned Explorers: International Society. None of these are especially close to Fire Emblem, but all are close enough that they might scratch some of the same itch. I'd certainly put them all as more similar to FE than XCOM is, for instance. So they might be worth at least taking a look at to see if they tickle your fancy.

10 hours ago, lenticular said:

Wargroove

Oh ya. And I bet you've heard of it already, but if you like Wargroove, you should check out Advance Wars. It's by intelligent systems! Not an RPG but a grid based game.

Thanks for all the recommendations folks! I'll check them out when I can!

On 7/20/2024 at 3:17 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

What exactly do you mean with FE's style? It's not exactly uniform.

First off addressing this point, I'd prefer a linear, non-RTS, map based SRPG with a variety of classes. Preferably fantasy themed if I'm being picky.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:51 PM, Perkilator said:

Project X Zone is kind of like FE, with the second game even having Chrom and Lucina as playable characters.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:28 AM, Original Alear said:

you should check out Advance Wars. It's by intelligent systems! Not an RPG but a grid based game.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:38 PM, Lord_Brand said:

There is the TearRing Saga series, intended to be a spiritual successor to Fire Emblem.

These are all great, I've played them all before (+ FF Tactics) and actually still have my copy of Project X Zone 2, I was primarily looking for titles on PC without emulation.

Once again thanks for helping me out here, I'll get to what I can when I can!

Oh, right, the Disgaea series is now (mostly?) on PC. I only played the first one. I think in terms of gameplay it's pretty inferior to Fire Emblem, a little all over the place, but I think the story is a pretty kind hearted tale.

Second Disgaea. It definitely matches "linear, non-RTS, map based SRPG with a variety of classes". It really is about breaking the hell out of it though; it makes every possible thing grindable, down to reincarnating characters into new classes to slightly improve at percentages on level up (Second Seal-esque). It's definitely not as strategic (the strategy I think comes from Geo Panel map design that really comes into its own from 2 onward), but still fun.

Oh, I found another one. Astral Throne. It's releasing in Q4 2024 on steam. Apparently it has roguelike mechanics but its battle system seems similar to Fire Emblem.