What Affinity Are You?

Loki Laufeyson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what my month of birth gives (May), but I almost always use Thunder (boost affects many units I use often - Hector, Serra and Erk, mostly) or Wind (boosts Lyn and Matthew, who both need all the Avo they can get in some tight spots).

That is quite untrue. We've had this discussion before, and it comes down to which bonuses you prefer.

I assigned point values to each category in one possible order of assumed importance:

Avo=5, Atk=4, Def=3, Crt=2, Hit=1, CEv=0

Anima=5+4+3+0=12

Fire=5+4+2+1=12

Light=4+3+2+1=10

Thunder=5+3+2+0=10

Ice=5+3+1+0=9

Dark=5+2+1+0=8

Wind=4+2+1+0=7

In this scenario Anima is equally as good as Fire.

Edited by Meteor

I assigned point values to each category in one possible order of assumed importance:

Avo=5, Atk=4, Def=3, Crt=2, Hit=1, CEv=0

Anima=5+4+3+0=12

This way of calculating is wrong, since it assumes that the gap between each bonus is equal (for example avo > atk > def, rather than avo >>>>>>> atk >> def...this is not how I seriously think it is btw).

Anyway, Fire vs Anima is hit/crt vs def/cev. crt > cev for sure, which leaves def vs hit. Now, hit is largely useless, but def isn't too great either (especially when it's a half bonus - +1 def for B/A really is nothing worth hyping). And you are already getting an avo bonus, so chances are you do not need more durability. Rather, the character could use some offensive bonus, such as crt.

That's why I think Fire > Anima.

I know the system isn't perfect, but my goal was to show that Fire is not "by far the best" which I believe it does indeed demonstrate. Even so, it would not be hard to give weight to the bonuses (e.g. Avo=12, Atk=5, Def=3).

Like I stated, it depends on which bonuses you deem best, and how important they are relative to the other options.

What do you mean? It only starts taking effect after a certain point?

You can consider it like the Emblem Seal.

-----

Thunder. As my month is December.

I don't really mind wind. It's not that bad to me cause I like a lot of characters with wind affinity (Matthew, Wil, Rolf)

Ice wouldn't bother me though (Wolt hint hint)

Edited by Reinfleche

yes, characters with the tactician's affinity get a small hit/avoid bonus that goes up every four chapters of the game (it may also count sidequests as an extra chapter in the count but I'm not certain; does anyone know that for certain?)