So what would make archers good?

grandjackal

Nah, Dark Mages/Shamans are great, exept for Ray, he has a bad Magic growth for a shaman.

And archers are already great, a good implement would be adjusting the range so that they can attack closely.

Nah, Dark Mages/Shamans are great, exept for Ray, he has a bad Magic growth for a shaman.

Ray's problem is his spd. Not his mag.

...which ought to tell you something how much of a problem Sophia has in that catagory

Also, whatever you do with archers, PLEASE for the love of god don't inject them with Gordin syndrome and give them move on par with armors. Though honestly if you give them stats on par with other units, I think half the problem is solved already. Though I actually feel more move is more than fair game [say, 6 move compared to the standard 5, running on FE7's engine]

I was already discussing this with someone on MSN (Vykan I think).

My idea is to allow Archers and Snipers to attack twice per turn to improve their player phase power (since they have no enemy phase abilities). They can't move twice, but they can attack twice from the same spot, meaning they can either wail on a single enemy or attack two enemies.

I think archers should be able to counterattack from close range, but with reduced power and accuracy and crit.

Yeah, this would be a good one. Or give them a higher Evd at close range.

Something so that they don't get destroyed by being surrounded.

*If this does happen, he will miss surrounding an enemy Archer/Sniper/Nomad/Horseman/etc and slaughtering them for EXP from one unit*

*Guess how Rakath levels Est up in the chapter she arrives in.*

Something so that they don't get destroyed by being surrounded.
I think getting destroyed when surrounded is fair. My idea above is to make the payoff on the player phase much more profound, and make the actual concept of an archer which they have a weakness still exist. Otherwise, they wouldn't be much different than your better units with hand axes or javelins.

Also, whatever you do with archers, PLEASE for the love of god don't inject them with Gordin syndrome and give them move on par with armors. Though honestly if you give them stats on par with other units, I think half the problem is solved already. Though I actually feel more move is more than fair game [say, 6 move compared to the standard 5, running on FE7's engine]

Makes you wonder they do that ALL THE TIME with archers. Why is it everyone at the start but the archer rocks?

I was already discussing this with someone on MSN (Vykan I think).

My idea is to allow Archers and Snipers to attack twice per turn to improve their player phase power (since they have no enemy phase abilities). They can't move twice, but they can attack twice from the same spot, meaning they can either wail on a single enemy or attack two enemies.

I'm reminded of FE5's Move-Again deal...Still, good stats would be needed. Ronan wasn't exactly a miracle worker...

Edited by Grandjackal

I'm reminded of FE5's Move-Again deal...
This isn't move again. This is attack again. You don't get to move again.
Still, good stats would be needed.
Always being guaranteed to double attack, or practically being able to 4x if you can double. I think that is more than enough to make up for a slow start, especially since there are other bow using classes that DO have decent stats, so this would make the Archer/Sniper different from the rest of them.

I do have ways of taming this ability down if it proves to be broken.

Edited by Chainey

This isn't move again. This is attack again. You don't get to move again.

Always being guaranteed to double attack, or practically being able to 4x if you can double. I think that is more than enough to make up for a slow start, especially since there are other bow using classes that DO have decent stats, so this would make the Archer/Sniper different from the rest of them.

I do have ways of taming this ability down if it proves to be broken.

Ahhh, so more like how FE4's archers worked in a way?

Would certainly have made Wolt a lot better.

It's not really continue, but it can be used as such. It can be used to attack twice, either twice on a single enemy or spread over two enemies if available.

Example:

Sniper Abel moves 7 spaces in position to attack 2 enemies. He attacks enemy A. Turn would normally end, but with what Chainey's trying to say, he can attack again (either enemy A again or Enemy B ) but is stuck where he is.

Edited by Sirius

Bows need a series of 1-2 range weapons, with the first level being buyable and forgable, that are actually decent, not LOLCROSSBOW which just failed against everything except fliers. Similar to how lances have javelins and axes have hand axes. Bows should have some 1-2 range bow that function like that.

That was one of the problems with swords in GBA versions and PoR, with the whole lack of 2-range weapons (magic swords sucked, they don't count). They sorta fixed it in RD but couldn't be forged, which really sucked hard since wind edges fail.

However, if snipers got that, and kept their +crit and 3-range, they'd be lolbroken, so upon promotion you should be forced to choose either +crit or 3-range, and not get both. Kinda like how you could choose your paladin weapon in PoR (ignoring the fact that everyone chose axes).

I do like the crossbows and such, but they should've had you get one earlier or just power them up a bit. It seems like when you get crossbows, taksh, aqqar and arbalest they're just too weak except against magic users and fliers

When you can have more strength than damage you do to an oppenent, it's pretty sad...

I do like the crossbows and such, but they should've had you get one earlier or just power them up a bit. It seems like when you get crossbows, taksh, aqqar and arbalest they're just too weak except against magic users and fliers

When you can have more strength than damage you do to an oppenent, it's pretty sad...

By then, the Sagittari have 2-3 range. If they had a strong counter at close range, they'd be supermen. Crossbows are fine, it gave snipers a counter (making them weak at close range rather than just plain useless at it), and gave warriors a reason to be used outside other axe users.