• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

What? How does that even make sense Lux? Being atheist by definition means you reject the existence of deities. It has NOTHING to do with self-control.

And Lent holds two meanings:

1. Celebrating Jesus' resistance of temptation

2. Following suit of resisting temptation

Even if that story is a myth, it still teaches the value of resisting temptation--AKA self-control.

And Lent holds two meanings:

1. Celebrating Jesus' resistance of temptation

2. Following suit of resisting temptation

Even if that story is a myth, it still teaches the value of resisting temptation--AKA self-control.

It holds meaning FOR CATHOLICS. That's the whole point lux.

>_> You are not catholic, so such a holiday really has no meaning to you.

Yes, you want to exercise self-control...but don't use Lent to do it. It's complete bullshit. You say that by giving it up for Lent, provides it with some semblance of meaning...well newsflash...as an atheist, it doesn't have any meaning at all! Unless you are really a catholic who is saying they are atheist.

You do realize that one of the christian beliefs is that there is a god right?

Unless you mean morals, but that still doesn't make any sense.

I never said I didn't believe in God. >_> I said I "could" be atheist.

It holds meaning FOR CATHOLICS. That's the whole point lux.

Yes, you want to exercise self-control...but don't use Lent to do it. It's complete bullshit. You say that by giving it up for Lent, provides it with some semblance of meaning...well newsflash...as an atheist, it doesn't have any meaning at all! Unless you are really a catholic who is saying they are atheist.

If you want, I can invent a period which starts when Lent starts, and ends when Lent ends. And has to do with self-control. And requires no religion.

Okay? Okay. Since you seem to think Lent teaches nothing valuable.

That's bull. I haven't believed in God since I was 13, yet I still celebrate Christmas and Easter, and I still go to communions and baptisms. Just because someone doesn't subscribe to a particular religious belief doesn't mean they can't have cultural ties to that religion.

That's bull. I haven't believed in God since I was 13, yet I still celebrate Christmas and Easter, and I still go to communions and baptisms. Just because someone doesn't subscribe to a particular religious belief doesn't mean they can't have cultural ties to that religion.

afaik, there are no 'cultural' ties to lent. Christmas and Easter yes, because lol santa and presents and lol easter bunny. The Catholic meaning to them are rarely seen anymore.

... Self-control! Have you been ignoring me this whole time!? >_>

But there is no real reason to tie it to lent! Which is my point.

You just want a convenient way to count days. So mark a calendar and say start...stop. And during that time frame don't eat any M&Ms.

But there is no real reason to tie it to lent! Which is my point.

You just want a convenient way to count days. So mark a calendar and say start...stop. And during that time frame don't eat any M&Ms.

If you want, trick yourself into thinking I conveniently chose the length of Lent to exercise self-control. And yet it has nothing to do with Lent.

I forget to mention why not having M&Ms is so hard: I usually had about 4 packs worth a day