Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

So VNs

Funny thing is that he hasn't done a VN yet

I forgot where, but I saw where someone joked that the Game Theory video about Earthbound is more than likely just them saying "FETUS" a lot

I don't even know what Game Theory is, I'm assuming their videos involve overanalyzing games to make them sound DARKER and DEEPER

Pretty much

On the subject of Pokemon. Fun Fact: I didn't have a single favorite until gen4

Wait, what makes Pokemon bad

Edited by Emeraldfox

What do you mean overdesigned. That doesn't even make sense in Pokemon terms since they are all "overdesigned" real life animals/objects.

even by pokemon standards one could say there are way too many patterns and symbols and different collors that don't really make the design that good. makes it POLLUTED (lol)

Funny thing is that he hasn't done a VN yet

It'll probably be drawn out by unfunny padding.

even by pokemon standards one could say there are way too many patterns and symbols and different collors that don't really make the design that good. makes it POLLUTED (lol)

But the Gen 3 fossils are rather basic. they just look funky because ancient animals.

Edited by Ein

Minimalism doesn't translate into bad things, tho. Portal was as minimalist as can be, and it's fucking amazing. It's short, the gameplay is concise and clever, the story is good, and the action never gets boring.

Well, I'd say BW had some pretty interesting story, even better than all the other generations so far. N and Ghetsis are characters way more interesting than shit like WALLY OR MAXIM OR WALLACE (seriously what the fuck was up with gen 3).

As for flashy pokemon, I disagree. You often see pokes from the earlier generations that are as flashy as the newer ones. Tyranitar wouldn't look out of place if it was made in gen 5. The fossils in gen 3 are also waaaaaay more overdesigned than quite a number of pokemons from newer generations, IMO.

I don't disagree with you here. Minimalism and simplicity isn't inherently bad. It's certainly better than overly complex systems.

Portal is probably a great example of that. Yes, it was, minimalist. Yes, it was good. And yes, it was concise and clever. I was just doing some advanced maps last night.

In fact, we have to play it for my game theory class, haha. Even though I just played it over winter break, I'll probably replay it again or something since it was so good.

BW's story was definitely better than past gens, yes, because it was more than "just defeat the bad guys." But in a sense, I felt like it detracted from the game. Pokemon wasn't - and still isn't, imo - a game you play for story. By trying to put a story in the game, I felt like Gamefreak was putting something in a game that didn't belong there. If they had a better story, I'd probably have different thoughts, but BW's story - even if it's better than previous gens - was mediocre at best. Pokemon is about world exploration and the Pokemon you travel with. You don't make plot relevant decision. You don't need plot relevant decisions. That's not what Pocket Monsters is.

There are exceptions, yes, but generally speaking, the first three gens had simpler designs than the more recent ones. As for T-tar and the gen 3 fossils, I incidentally don't like those design-wise, even if T-tar is amazing in competitive Pokemon.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

BW's story was definitely better than past gens yes, because it was more than "just defeat the bad guys." But in a sense, I felt like it detracted from the game. Pokemon wasn't - and still isn't, imo - a game you play for story. By trying to put a story in the game, I felt like Gamefreak was putting something in a game that didn't belong there. If they had a better story, I'd probably have different thoughts, but BW's story - even if it's better than previous gens - was mediocre at best. Pokemon is about world exploration and the Pokemon you travel with. You don't make plot relevant decision. You don't need plot relevant decisions. That's not what Pocket Monsters is.

There are exceptions, yes, but generally speaking, the first three gens had simpler designs than the more recent ones. As for T-tar and the gen 3 fossils, I incidentally don't like those design-wise, even if T-tar is amazing in competitive Pokemon.

But you can see the attempt of making something new with the world they created. The story if good, but by the series' standards it's amazing. Pokemon might not be a game whose major selling point is the story - far from it, but trying to create a different view, a different perspective is welcome, and could make more people like it due to a more thought out story, too. I'd say giving more "depth" in BW was a nice step.

but don't you think that sometimes it was also too simple? voltorb and electrode are examples of that, being just two pokeballs with eyes

It'll probably be drawn out by unfunny padding.

But the Gen 3 fossils are rather basic. they just look funky because ancient animals.

Isn't that all of the game theory videos, though.

A plant and an animal. I wonder if Relicanth should count as a fossil critter considering the fish its based on.

Isn't that all of the game theory videos, though.

A plant and an animal. I wonder if Relicanth should count as a fossil critter considering the fish its based on.

They are.

Isn't Lileep more of a deep sea creature thing. A living fossil yes.

but aint g1 fossils also based on some kind of ancient shit too?

But you can see the attempt of making something new with the world they created. The story if good, but by the series' standards it's amazing. Pokemon might not be a game whose major selling point is the story - far from it, but trying to create a different view, a different perspective is welcome, and could make more people like it due to a more thought out story, too. I'd say giving more "depth" in BW was a nice step.

but don't you think that sometimes it was also too simple? voltorb and electrode are examples of that, being just two pokeballs with eyes

The series' standards aren't very high, lol. Mediocre is still mediocre, no matter how you cut the cake. As for the different view and perspectives, though, I can't disagree with you. I have to say, however, that it has to be done carefully. (And Pokemon isn't the best example of it, being a cash cow for Nintendo and all). For instance, why would Gamefreak try to change the view of the game? Is it to sell better? Or is it because GF really wants to expose the audience to such ideas? If it's to make more money, I have nothing to say. Nintendo, ultimately, is a business. A corporation. It exists to make profit. What can I do. Nothing. However, if it's because they really want to change the Pokemon experience for the better by adding story... they could have done a much better job. GRANTED... this is a game targeted towards children, so I can't blame them for making the game suited for children. But it wouldn't hurt to try harder. They have so much potential... they just... don't make use of it. But I guess that's the difference between indie devs and triple-A devs. I just feel like looking for story or gameplay depth in a game like Pokemon is looking too far into the issue.

Okay Voltorb and Electrode have horribly lazy designs, I admit that.

But I prefer them over something like... Sigilyph or... Cofagrigus or... Gothitelle or... Emboar...

Isn't Lileep more of a deep sea creature thing. A living fossil yes.

Maybe, I'd check if I remembered the name of it. 6(7) Water/Rock fossil critters.

All of the fossil Pokemon are based on ancient animals though.

I understand that, and I'm aware that the series doesn't have any high standards regarding the story. Considering it's a game about dueling monsters, I wouldn't expect it otherwise. But isn't BW the best rated games in the series or some shit? I'd say it would also be amongst the top selling games too, if BW2 wasn't released on the DS. Still, I hope this conversation might be sparking ideas for you bro, it is the reason I went on with it lol

WHAT ABOUT JYNX? MR MIME? DITTO GRIMER AND KUM I MEAN MUK

And they look silly.

kabutops is amazing whatchu sayin

I understand that, and I'm aware that the series doesn't have any high standards regarding the story. Considering it's a game about dueling monsters, I wouldn't expect it otherwise. But isn't BW the best rated games in the series or some shit? I'd say it would also be amongst the top selling games too, if BW2 wasn't released on the DS. Still, I hope this conversation might be sparking ideas for you bro, it is the reason I went on with it lol

kabutops is amazing whatchu sayin

Also don't forget Voltorb and Electrode.

...Which are very, very poor excuses for the typical RPG Mimic.

Also don't forget Voltorb and Electrode.

...Which are very, very poor excuses for the typical RPG Mimic.

RATTATA which is just a damn rat, too

electabuzz and magmar are kinda shit, too

I just realized I can't sleep more than 12 hours with this alarm clock

Makesuthink

dood what the fuck sleeping half the day

You know who isn't poop? Poliwrath.

Even though it's a bigger, mean looking Poliwhirl. With MUSCLES

Fearow is pretty great too, its Japanese name is Onidrill.

Dodrio is amazing too, and there's Kingler with that HUGE CLAW that snaps chumps in half.

Cloyster is one smug, cocky mother lover

You know who isn't poop? Poliwrath.

Even though it's a bigger, mean looking Poliwhirl. With MUSCLES

Fearow is pretty great too, its Japanese name is Onidrill.

Dodrio is amazing too, and there's Kingler with that HUGE CLAW that snaps chumps in half.

Cloyster is one smug, cocky mother lover

Dood I find them polis rather meh. If they had those poliSWAG lips, they would be better.

Seel is crap too, don't forget about that one.

MACHAMP IS LEO SCHULZ FROM BONDE DA STRONDA HOLY SHIT

I'm not sure how accurate these estimates are, but...

RBG/Y: ~31.5M/~14.5M
GS/C: ~23M/~6.5M
FRLG/RS/E: ~12M/~16M/~6.5M
DP/Pt/HGSS: ~18M/~7.5M/~12.5M
BW/B2W2: ~15.5M/~8M
XY/ORAS: ~13M/~5-6M (as of now? I just know that it sold 2.3M-ish in Japan alone.)
So it isn't the best of sales, but it isn't the worst Gens I and II were apparently the glory days of the series.
You have to keep in mind that the DS install base was huge, too. Bigger than the GameBoy install base, in fact.

I did realize that I have to question why I play Pokemon now.

I dunno. I like Jynx, Mr. Mime, Ditto, and even Mu- yeah no. Not Muk.
I could be biased, though, so eh.
Edited by Fruity Insanity