FE4 THREAD

Fia

The Great Impostor Does Some Terrific Pretending

This is a list of fakers and con artists, but Ferdinand Demara is the only one officially nicknamed "The Great Impostor." Demara has pretended to be (among others): a civil engineer, a sheriff's deputy, an assistant prison warden, a hospital orderly, a lawyer, a child-care expert, a Benedictine monk, an editor, a cancer researcher, a teacher and, most disturbingly, a fucking surgeon under the stolen name of Joseph Cyr.

Yes, Demara just wasn't happy with one fake life. He wanted ALL OF THEM.

His most famous deception was pretending to be the ship's doctor on board the HMCS Cayuga, taking the name of an already respected doctor, Joseph Cyr. This was bad news for the crew.

How Did He Do It?

Despite having absolutely no medical training whatsoever, Demara actually did a good job, managing to improvise several surgeries, which, admittedly, is the last thing you want your doctor to do.

After nervously flicking through a few medical textbooks, Demara even completed a complex and major chest operation on a wounded crewman.

How Was He Caught?

He kept a relatively low profile on the ship, but when his captain saw his work, he decided to offer him a nomination for decoration. Demara declined, not wanting to get in the public eye.

But after he saved another wounded man's life by successfully removing a bullet, his name appeared in the newspaper. The real Joseph Cyr's mother, apparently confident that her son wasn't that good a doctor, called bullshit.

"Son, it says here that you're a famous life-saving doctor."

"Yeah? Nice. I told you I'd kick ass."

Cyr contacted the authorities, who removed Demara from the ship and threw his ass in jail. Wait, what's that? No jail, he just sort of hung around giving lectures? And then they made a movie about his life starring Tony Curtis? Huh. Seriously, kids, we're positive there's something wrong with lying. Uh... OH, he eventually died of diabetes. Guess he couldn't impostor his way out of that one. So there's the lesson kids. If you lie, you will get diabetes.

Edited by Ninji

• Replies 674.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

Z: Hey, random question. How much sugar do you put in your kool-aid?

Me: Like, a cup.

Z: How can you even taste that?

Me: How much do you put then?

Z: Three cups.

Me: That's not asking for flavor, that's asking for diabetes.

Z: You're crazy.