Red Alert 2

grandjackal

Fuck yeah. Damn fun game.

Sure, it was the Mortal Kombat of RTS, but it was still fun as fuck. So what if factions make the game hilarious in Soviet favor? So what if Yuri's army is hot garbage? The campy single player is where the fuck it's AT, son!

Anywho, thoughts?

Also, anyone up for some Germany vs Iraq?

Factions made the game in the Soviets' favor? What the fuck are you talking about?

My all time favorite game.

Could have sworn the game was rather powered towards the Soviets, but perhaps my memory sucks. Lessee...Soviets had Tesla Tanks, Desolators, Nuke Trucks, Terrorists, and something else I can't remember.

Allies had Snipers, Grand Cannons, Paratroopers....Yeah, those alone, what the fuck was I talking about? The rest I believe were Tank Destroyers and Stealth Bombers.

I think the Soviets also had Apocalypse tanks, Zepplins, Teslatroopers, that one mech that drills insides tanks and deals damage overtime, that iron curtain building, and Giant Squids

Edited by Jason W.

I think the Soviets also had Apocalypse tanks, Zepplins, Teslatroopers, that one mech that drills insides tanks and deals damage overtime, that iron curtain building, and Giant Squids

Those are core Soviet units, factions are a bit different. In multiplayer, you can play a faction of a team which gives a certain type of benefit, most likely a special unit (only exception is U.S.A., with their paratrooper reinforcements). Goes like this.

Soviets

Russia-Tesla Tank

Cuba-Terrorist

Libya-Nuke Truck

Iraq-Desolators (personal favorite unit)

I know there was another, but it escapes me...I think it was a sort of Drone or something.

Allies

U.S.A.-Paratrooper Reinforcements

Britain-Sniper

France-Grand Cannon

Germany-Tank Destroyer

Korea-Nighthawk Bomber

Yuri had no factions, but he sort of doesn't need to...

Looking more into it now, man...It's been too long since I played.

Except that rocketeers are the most broken infantry and prism tanks the most broken artillery units ever made. All any online player had to do was spam these and win. Faction units only stand a chance against the computer AI in a skirmish, which, let's face it, you could beat with conscripts.

Except that rocketeers are the most broken infantry and prism tanks the most broken artillery units ever made. All any online player had to do was spam these and win. Faction units only stand a chance against the computer AI in a skirmish, which, let's face it, you could beat with conscripts.

I guess I could agree there, especially with the prism tanks. I mean, area of effect with that kind of fire power? Redonculous.

I won several games online back in the day with Rocketeer rushes. I stopped playing the game afterwards lol. The game is fun, don't get me wrong, but when they got rid of Red Alert 1's online service, it just wasn't the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm bumping for one of my favorite games of all time--hey, it's not a month old yet!

The multiplayer units aren't that important. The only ones you can really build a force around are the French grand cannon, German tank destroyer, Russian tesla tank and Libyan demolition truck. Other than that, they're just not worth the effort in a serious game. Even the demo truck is pretty borderline, and the tesla tank is only good in very specific situations. The grand cannon is also disapproved of by a lot of players. The TD kicks ass, though.

I think the factions were well-balanced, even by the standards of 2d RTS games. Sure, the Allies would always have time on their side, between the ore purifier, satellite uplink, prism tank and mirage tank. But the Allies are never able to deal with old-fashioned rush tactics. At any stage of the game, but even more in the early game, the Allied player will have trouble defending against an old-fashioned rush with a sufficient number of Rhino heavy tanks (unless he's playing the Germans.) The downside for the Soviet player was, of course, that if the rushing force was destroyed he'd have wasted a lot of money and time on nothing, and money is harder to come by as the Soviets. The Soviet player could use some strategies later, like using massed V3s to take out base defenses, exploiting the weak Allied air defense, before sending in the tanks, but by the time that becomes possible the Allied player would be readying his own attack.

I can't say much for Yuri, that faction disrupted the balance between the other two by getting the best base defenses and a slew of late-game units powerful enough to be worth building.

I forgot didn't one unit that the Yuri faction have can mind control all land units? (I do recall that my battlefortress units got mind controlled by one.) i seriously need to find this disk again so I can go install and play it... (I always did like the zeppelin unit the Soviets had they were pretty awesome looking)

Edited by Generic Officer

The Yuri unit you're thinking of is probably the Mastermind. It could control an unlimited number of land units, though if it took control of more than five its strength would start to drain at an increasing rate until it exploded. Yuri's answer to Prism Towers and Tesla Coils worked the same way, except it would not attempt to control any more units after it had already taken control of five.

The Soviet zeppelin is known as the Kirov Airship. It was certainly a cool looking unit, but it was so slow as to be useless against anti-air vehicles like the IFV or Flak Track, which incidentally also had a beneficial damage multiplier for the Kirov's bombs. They could be taken down reasonably quickly through micromanaging a group of those vehicles, or more easily by simply sending a swarm of Allied Rocketeers at them.