FE4's Large Maps

Mikahil

Large maps  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Neither

What do people think about the large maps in FE4? Were the large maps tiring and boring, or were they better than the smaller maps later on? What advantages/disadvantages did they have in your opinion?

Personally I liked the whole castle conquering/defending idea, but I think it would've worked better on smaller maps, if you were able to move the characters through the smaller maps in battle through a world map (that is actually useful, unlike in FE8). Each large map was basically 3 chapters rolled into one.

I don't like it, mainly because it's time consuming and some characters are unfortunate to work in such manner (Arden and Hannibal). It's like what you said. They were better off doing it all in small maps. FE 6 thankfully improved this method.

Also, doing nothing but conquering castles can be a bit tedious, and doing it in large maps can worsen it, but FE 5 already improved on this as well.

FE4's problems are more in how they handled large maps rather than the maps being large themselves. Very few times where terrain is useful (a lot of the times the use of terrain brings the opposite), and enemies too spread out on the screen, whereas in small FE maps you tend to meet enemies quickly enough to where travel times aren't a problem. Having enough enemies on the map means that your mounted dudes would be slowed down enough for others to catch up.

I'm in between I like the the design of the map and the music that accompanies it, but like Rody said its hard for non mounted units to catch up while the mounted units are ahead I have to wait for the others to catch up so they can get some kills too, and also the backtracking sucks. (IE Silessia map)

Edited by Jason W.

FE4's problems are more in how they handled large maps rather than the maps being large themselves. Very few times where terrain is useful (a lot of the times the use of terrain brings the opposite), and enemies too spread out on the screen, whereas in small FE maps you tend to meet enemies quickly enough to where travel times aren't a problem. Having enough enemies on the map means that your mounted dudes would be slowed down enough for others to catch up.

This^

If they could fix some problems that having huge maps cause, then I'd probably like it.

I don't like it, mainly because it's time consuming and some characters are unfortunate to work in such manner (Arden and Hannibal). It's like what you said. They were better off doing it all in small maps. FE 6 thankfully improved this method.

Two things. One...Are you saying you used Arden and Hannibal? I'm so sorry. Therapy clears that sadness right away.

Two. Fire Emblem Thracia 776 STARTED the smaller maps.

And I personally enjoyed the larger maps. It made you actually LOOK at the map from all sides to see "Hmm...What enemies lie in that corner..." and actually made you split up your team. In 6/7/8, I felt I didn't have a need to, since the enemies would just rush up to you and attack. These guys? They'll go AROUND you if you're too strong and conquer your main castle if given the chance.

There are some pretty small maps in Gaiden. Several, actually.

Edited by Miror B.

Two things. One...Are you saying you used Arden and Hannibal? I'm so sorry. Therapy clears that sadness right away.
Pretty much any non-mounted unit is struggling or having a bit of trouble to keep up. Mages and Clerics have just as bad move problems as Ardan, and other foot units are slightly better.
Of course someone with a Roy avatar hasn't played FE3. Edited by Rody

Pretty much any non-mounted unit is struggling or having a bit of trouble to keep up. Mages and Clerics have just as bad move problems as Ardan, and other foot units are slightly better.

Movement ring. Oh and then there's promotion gains...Which you could do this level them up quicker; boss abuse with a unit and constantly heal said unit with a priest.

Plus, male Mages get +3 or 4 movement due to becoming Mage Knights; Tailtiu gets +1, so she can move pretty far; Edain also gets plus 1; Lachesis gets +3 or 4; all other gain +1, except Arden. Why use him anyway? He sucks. >_> His only use really is to get the Pursuit Ring. After that...Trash pile. Then there's the nifty dancer.

Two. Fire Emblem Thracia 776 STARTED the smaller maps. Of course someone with a Roy avatar hasn't played FE3.

I have. Got bored after 3 chapters, so perhaps I didn't get that far in. It just extremely boring. Also this was the first avatar I had off hand; sorry if my avatar deems me unworthy of posting toward a thread.

If we're going to judge people based on avatars, I guess you haven't played a Fire Emblem at all. But again, assumptions make an ass out of you and me so hows about we drop the subject.

Edited by p00nage 4

I play big maps at one castle at a time.

After a while doing my method, its feels like small maps.

That's because it basically is just small maps strung together in one chapter. The big maps are pointless because most of them don't even get used for anything during most of the chapter. Your observation is essentially the truth of the matter.

I find the larger maps tedious. That's not to say I think tiny-ass maps are better, but the maps in FE4 are just too damn large.

Plus, male Mages get +3 or 4 movement due to becoming Mage Knights; Tailtiu gets +1, so she can move pretty far; Edain also gets plus 1; Lachesis gets +3 or 4;
There's a catch. They need to be a high enough level to promote.
Movement ring. Oh and then there's promotion gains...Which you could do this level them up quicker; boss abuse with a unit and constantly heal said unit with a priest.
If you have to use movement rings to solve a problem, then a problem exists.
I have. Got bored after 3 chapters, so perhaps I didn't get that far in. It just extremely boring.
Set animation to "real" or "off". Also, play Book 2 if you find Book 1 boring, since Book 2 has much better level design.

Regardless, to say that FE5 invented small maps is pretty dumb since FE1 invented them.

If we're going to judge people based on avatars, I guess you haven't played a Fire Emblem at all. But again, assumptions make an ass out of you and me so hows about we drop the subject.

He didn't judge you on your avatar. You said something absurd, that shows your complete lack of knowledge about the subject at hand, and your avatar was simply an excuse for a witty comment.

Give me large maps, but no fucking Ch2 maps, that one as horrible. Nor ones on the molds of Ch4.

Also make rescue chapters,should be really THRILLING o:

And I personally enjoyed the larger maps. It made you actually LOOK at the map from all sides to see "Hmm...What enemies lie in that corner..." and actually made you split up your team. In 6/7/8, I felt I didn't have a need to, since the enemies would just rush up to you and attack. These guys? They'll go AROUND you if you're too strong and conquer your main castle if given the chance.

I don't use Arden or Hannibal, but I'm just saying that having large maps would very much discourage you from using some units (I guess that couldn't be a bad thing, but still).

I never said FE 6 started the small maps. I just said that conquering castles etc. worked better for me in FE 6 than in 4 because of small maps.