Game Compilation Recommendations List

Ike-Mike

Similiar to the thread Fox made long ago, but with a twist.

As we all know, compilations by nature have a lot more content than single games as they, well, contain a lot of games in one package. In this thread we mention the compilations that we think are the best from PCs to consoles both old and new.

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

The four video games that basically defined Mario and gaming as we know it with updated graphics and sound. Even if you own the original games one way or another it still shouldn't be missed out on, even more so since Nintendo rarely puts out compilations.

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)

All three games of the acclaimed 3D Metroid series with upgraded controls for the Gamecube parts. Even more of a steal considering that Prime 3 is still sold for the same price as Trilogy. The "Nintendo rarely puts out compilations" argument also applies here.

Commander Keen Complete Pack (PC)

The first five games of what might be the best PC platformer series. The $5 are worth just for Keen 4 alone.

Retro Game Challenge (NDS)

This one deserves a special mention since it takes the concept of game compilations and turns it into something beautiful. I talked about it here but you might alternatively want to read this review written by the guys at Eegra.

Mega Man: Anniversary Collection (PS2, GC, Xbox)

All 8 games of the classic Mega Man series on one disc, plus Mega Man: The Power Battles and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, two fighting games previously released as Arcade games only. 10 games for the price of one.

Mega Man X Collection (PS2, GC)

The first six games of the X series on one disc. This collection also features the Mega Man's only racing game: Mega Man Battle & Chase, never-before-released in the US.

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

The four video games that basically defined Mario and gaming as we know it with updated graphics and sound. Even if you own the original games one way or another it still shouldn't be missed out on, even more so since Nintendo rarely puts out compilations.

Wasn't there a SMAS+SMW compilation cartridge at some point?

The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition (GCN)

This disc has the first two Zelda games (The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link) as well as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It also features a brief demo of Windwaker as well as a retrospective of all the Zelda games (upto WW).

Snes

Super Mario All Stars (same reason as Ike-Mike)

Wii

Only played Smash Bros.

PC

Warcraft 3 Battle Chest, Starcraft Battle Chest, Diablo Battle Chest, World of Warcraft Battle Chest, Command and Conquer pack, or the Orange Box

Warcraft Starcraft: If you are a fan of RTS games you should pick up either one of those they include two games one game and the expansion plus a guide (though you won't need the Starcraft guide since its made by Prima games >.>) They both come with a free online service and still pretty active online community. Warcraft 3 focus on not a lot of mass building but you have an option to build heroes in the game that usually turn the tide of battle. Starcraft has mass building but no heroes. Both games are good though I recommend Warcraft better

Diablo Battle Chest: If you are a fan of hack and slash games this might be for you free online service comes with one game and its expansion and a guide (I forgot if it was a Prima Game guide) you have 7 classes to choose from in this game and 3 modes of difficulty and the online community is pretty active also.

World of Warcraft Battle Chest If you are fan of MMORPGS you might want to check this out if you don't mind shelling out 15$ per month and have a great internet connection and a fan of Warcraft you might enjoy this however the game has massive grinding in it so don't expect to reach 1-80 quickly though not as much grinding as in Final Fantasy Online, and depending on the server you choose you get a horrible or great community however if you like MMORPGS check this out.

Command and Conquer Pack If you are a fan of RTS games you'll like this building in this game is different rather having workers build your HQ does all the building for you and the workers only mine resources. This pack comes with I think 6 games First Command and Conquer, Command and Conquer 2, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Command and Conquer Renegade, Command and Conquer Yuri's Revenge, and Command and Conquer Generals. It's worth its price but don't expect much of an online commuity.

The Orange Box: Three games from the Company Valve (which makes great games) comes with Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, and Portal. Team Fortress 2 is an online FPS game with 7 classes to choose from, Half Life 2 is continuation of Half Life both online and single player, Portal is like a puzzle solver while you have to utilize the surroundings and your portal guns with lets you create portals. However you'll need a pretty powerful CPU to run these games.

Edited by Jason W.

This one deserves a special mention since it takes the concept of game compilations and turns it into something beautiful. I talked about it here but you might alternatively want to read this review written by the guys at Eegra.

I'd agree if not for that fucking racing game.

Ys I&II for DS is pretty good if you're into that stuff. FF Anthologies and Chronicles are also both pretty good but be aware of Anthologies' loading times if you're playing the NTSC-US version.

FF I&II DoS is also decent if you're looking for something simple and fun to play, but be aware FF1's difficulty is heavily altered for the easier. FF2 is easier by a bit but not by much- it's mostly changes for simplicity's sake.

Edited by Excellen

Fallout Collection: Fallout,Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics all on one disc. Now also available on steam.

Valve Complete Pack:Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Condition Zero, Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead

ALL for 99$

How about mentioning its sequel >:( Wiz-Man is awesome fun, but too short.

In addition to what's been mentioned:

- Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360) - There's a LOT on this disc, and most of it is golden. It's also got all four Phantasy Star titles in one place. That makes it a must-buy at $30. If you don't have a 360, there's the Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP, but they're not definitive. And knowing Sega, they could actually come out with another retro compilation that has the games this one forgot. Just because they're whores that hate us.

- Ys 1+2 Eternal (PC) - You need Nightwolve's patch to get it in English, but it's findable easy enough (good thing; Nightwolve has since gone cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs), and it's worth the effort; this is the best version of these classic games. Don't waste your time with the DS version, it's complete trash.

- Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 + 2 (PS2) - Capcom's arcade games were fucking awesome, even before Street Fighter II. Strider, Commando, 1943, Varth and other great games, even a game called Quiz + Dragons that has to be seen to be believed (though it's outdated now). They also have every relevant version of Street Fighter II between them.

- Activision Anthology (PS2) - On a bang-for-buck scale, this might be the best compilation ever. Unlockable commercials, business presentations, patches (as in, the ones Activision would actually send if you sent in a high enough score; I actually have a few), retro music (decent music, too), and more are available along with about 40+ games, a lot of them very good, even today. It's sad to see what Activision's become ("Would you like Guitar Hero in Metallica or Aerosmith? Oh, they both come with our mandatory $60 price tag!"), because they used to be MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME.

Well, it's an addition to the compilation.

And I tried it on the PC, it is laggy as hell.

Also recommend the new Batman, Paper Mario 64 or Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

All great games.

Valve Complete Pack:Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Condition Zero, Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead

ALL for 99$

This. Then download Garry's Mod. You are set, possibly forever.

I don't know many others to suggest that haven't been suggested (Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo BattleChest), except Command and Conquer the First Decade, which I see someone has actually recommended, they just called it by the wrong name :(. Anyway, it's awesome too, and it's gotta be like fifty cents by now. :P I bought it when it was new for only like fifty bucks.

There's packs all the time for PC games. I don't quite get what you're talking about.

Aside from horrid loading times, the FF Chronicles/Anthology/Origins seem nice due to their sincere "extra" stuff. Most you get now is the generic challenge dungeon.

And I tried it on the PC, it is laggy as hell.

"I tried Final Fantasy II on the PSP on the PC and its laggy as hell."

Try getting "a better" computer.

Wait, so we are recommending GAMES of other games?

Hell, the only one worth mentioning nowadays is Orange Box.

Since a bunch of compliation games that are worthwhile have been posted already, the Orange Box is obviously not the only one.

Well, that last comment seemed bull-headed of me. What I meant was the only game that one COULD likely purchase nowadays is Orange Box.

I did try out Capcom Collection a couple hours ago at a Costco- they need a freakin sequel for Commando.

Also a worthy selection is the Hitman Trilogy. Forgot for which system... But they're all great games.

Samurai Shodown Anthology(Wii, PS2, PSP)

Six and one half games in one.(There's a mini game which makes me say that) Samurai Shodown 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6!

All of that for 30 bucks!