1. 1. which cavalier

• cain
    • abel
    • frey
    • roshea
    • matthis
    • hardin
    • vyland

Cain, Abel, Frey, and Hardin are all excellent characters. I'd recommend using more than one of them. Vyland, Matthis, and Roshea aren't as good, but they could probably make the grade on normal (which I assume is the difficulty you're playing since Frey is on the list). Roshea and Matthis should probably be reclassed, though.

If this is on Normal Mode, all cavaliers are usable. Abel, Frey and Cain are best through normal means.

It is, otherwise Frey wouldn't be listed due to not existing.

Also, as Brawl Sheeda said, Hardin is epic.

Meh, could be one those guys planning a hard mode playthrough and unaware that Frey is Normal only >_>.

Frey is easily the best out of all of them; too bad he's only available in normal mode.

Other than that, Cain and Abel are awesome as well, though Cain usually grows more strength and defense for me than Abel does.

Hardin is also pretty good, but I don't find him to be quite as good as the three starting cavaliers. B in lances is pretty awesome and his base stats are pretty damn good as well, but IIRC, his growths are inferior to those of the starting trio.

Matthis and Vyland are usable, and can actually turn out decent in the lower difficulties, but they're not exactly good. Roshea, on the other hand, is simply bad, though he may actually be pretty okay in normal mode since SPD doesn't matter as much there.

My post was made as a response about Roshe's "speed not mattering as much on NM", not about Abel vs Frey. I'm not disputing Abel>Frey since I was the one who pointed out that Frey's leads are pretty much superfical [Abel will be doubling everything by the time Frey can catch up to him in speed, lol skill and luck, Abel will be one rounding everything by the time Frey catches up to him in strength, and a few measly hit points rarely makes a difference and doesn't really compensate for Abel winning pretty much the entire time before Frey bests him in HP]

Edited by Joker

Spd does still matter. You're not doubling in NM unless you can hit around 18 speed.

I never said that it doesn't matter at all, I just said it doesn't matter as much. Even if Roshe never hits enough SPD to double even on NM, at least he won't get doubled himself.

Aside from that, I just said he may be okay on NM, as I haven't quite tried him out there.

As for the Frey vs. Abel thing, I was actually surprised to see that Frey's growths are hardly any better than Abel's at all. Frey turned out better than Abel in my NM playthrough, but I was just going from PE there (as with Cain, where I have stated that my preferences were because of PE).

Nah, Roshe's still pretty awful as a Cav even in Normal Mode.

As a Myrmidon, though, he's not too terrible, at least post-promotion. He may need a forge early on, though.

Edited by Ninji

Speaking of Reclassing, Hardin can be whatever physical class he pleases and not suffer too much from it in the long run.

Yeah but...

...That's because Class A has virtually the same growths. Heh.

(Still doesn't mean Hardin sucks though, he still kicks ass).

As a Myrmidon, though, he's not too terrible, at least post-promotion. He may need a forge early on, though.

Even with the SM setup he's still pretty bad. His HP/Def figures blow and being locked to swords makes it worse. On top of that he has no 1-2 range which stands out more in NM as you can reliably kill most shit with Javelins/handaxes.

It makes him suck LESS, sure, but he's still bad.

Speaking of Reclassing, Hardin can be whatever physical class he pleases and not suffer too much from it in the long run.

Yeah but...

...That's because Class A has virtually the same growths. Heh.

(Still doesn't mean Hardin sucks though, he still kicks ass).

Actually it's because of B Lances meaning he's not screwing up weapon rank for his best weapon.