Official Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Thread!

Roxas

Togepi starts with Extrase-...I know who I'M using against Morty!

Yeah, Togepi/tic/kiss needs to launch somewhere to top for HG/SS.

I'm getting Silver Soul, because I hate RSE legendaries, and I personally see Lugia as the better option. Hell, I like Lugia's design better on top of it.

I'd find Lugia's defensive prowess better than Ho-oh. A staller with it's elemental buildup, recover...I'd find that all better than just having Sacred Fire, as nice as Sacred Ash is.

Edited by Kuja

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I've played the game with 4 pokemon and an HM slave.

I chose Cyndaquil and caught myself a Pidgey and Mareep.

Later, I caught Sudowoodo, but he's quite slow. He's useful time to time, though. Red Gyrados! Can't wait to capture it.

Focusing on 3 pokemon, I was able to level up quite well and was able to beat each gym leader on the first try. I'm currently at Cianwood City and just beat Morty's friend that's obsessed with Suicine. My game froze right after I beat him, though, which sucked since it was more or less the only difficult battle in awhile (mainly because he put all my pokemon to sleep and his Electrode used Thunder on all my sleeping pokemon...).

Reminds me to stock on Awakenings to make the battle much easier next go-around.

Edited by Eltoshen

There's an in-game tier list for Platinum on Smogon right now.

Mareep has to be pretty high up as well.

I assume the typical team has like 3-4 Pokemon in it.

*Sigh*. It's been a while since I've been there.

Seems I have to agree. Mareep seems another contender to be up there.

Yeah. Actually, most stuff that comes early tend to be pretty high up.

With regards to the starters, Totodile now has physical STAB as well as a decent physical movepool, whereas Typhlosion lost special Thunderpunch and really doesn't have anything else to make up for it. Chikorita is just very meh when it comes to offense.

I also think Sentret should be high up for Furret's ability to learn 5 HMs.

I agree with Sentret. Does it learn Pickup as well? That ability might not rake in goodies like Ruby and Sapphire, but it is basically a "random item that will save your ass for free" deal. Can help for early on for when you are scraping by on money. Then again, you tend to find everything you need just lying around...

No, it has Run Away or Keen Eye. Pickup is only really good for picking up items that you can't buy or TMs, but that only happens at high levels.

Also, I'm really disappointed that Vulpix only learns Energy Ball by egg move and not by TM.

Random question: you know that Spearow that the guy in the Goldenrod gatehouse lends to you? Does anything happen if you never deliver the letter? I want to use a Spearow (and at this point I can just Headbutt trees) but I think it would be rather funny if I used this dude's.

Edited by dondon151

Essentially, crunch and extrasensory are about the same. Same base power, but Extrasensory has 15 more PP and a chance to flinch while Crunch as a chance to lower def. IMO, I would pick Extrasensory over Crunch, but Toegbi/Toegtic/Togekiss would be right beside Ratatta/Ratticate in the tier list for HG/SS

Crunch also runs off Raticate's decent physical Atk stat. Let's not forget that.

For regards to Totodile and Cyndaquil, recall that Totodile doesn't learn his physical Water STAB for a while (Aqua Tail isn't until Level 58 'Gatr and Waterfall HM is kind of far away). Cyndaquil is a pretty solid Fire-type with the capability of learning Earthquake (his Atk stat isn't wtfterrible: 84. It isn't hot hot but learning Eruption at Level 57? Not bad for a Pokemon that has decent natural Spd.

Of course the minor adjustment to competitive to in-game wise can be a challenge for me at times. Anyway, another one of Totodile's weaknesses is Water-type competition (Slowbro isn't bad, Gyarados) but compare to the Fire-types in this game (Growlithe, Vulpix, Magmar) and their limits (Stones and in Magmar's case lack of evolution).

Togepi's not going to hatch at Violet City... it hatched somewhere between Azalea and Goldenrod for me. Also consider that Togepi evolves relatively late because it needs to build up happiness.

The rest of the team may not have 80 BP moves, but they have better stats (most evolve at or before level 20) and basic moves at 60 or more BP after factoring STAB.

Cyndaquil has extreme competition for the Earthquake TM. Totodile's water STABs come late, but he still has a plethora of other physical moves available, like Ice Fang and Crunch that come with level up and a bunch of physical TMs (Earthquake included), and having Surf off 79 base SpA isn't exactly terrible.

It's not like Gyarados doesn't have similar problems - he has to put up with levels as useless Magikarp, and then Dragon Rage, while it 2HKOs everything, only has 10 PP. His water STAB doesn't come until level 35, which should be around when you get Waterfall (isn't it in Ice Cave?).

Edited by dondon151

Random question: you know that Spearow that the guy in the Goldenrod gatehouse lends to you? Does anything happen if you never deliver the letter? I want to use a Spearow (and at this point I can just Headbutt trees) but I think it would be rather funny if I used this dude's.

If I remember correctly (which I probably don't), you could give that guy ANY Pokemon as long as that Pokemon is holding that letter. All you need to do is take away that letter and give it to another Pokemon. Keep in mind that I'm not entirely sure and I'm only answering based on my memories of what my friend told me ages ago.

And even if what I said actually isn't true, I'm pretty sure you can still keep that Spearow and use it for as long as you like but you won't get the TM until you give up your Spearow.

Edited by LightBrand99

So the best starter is STILL Totodile? Because again, I highly doubt Chikorita would be.

Again, I'd still say Cyndaquil is close or winning. It depends how much weight you put on Totodile and his lack of physical Water STAB for a decent portion of the game. Also there's still very good Water-types (again, Gyarados. Slowbro isn't bad. Even forgot Lapras).

Even so, it'd slightly pend on what TMs are available and when. Or if we're to consider using someone else that can use Flamethrower (...Slowbro can learn it from what I recall).

Edited by Colonel M