FE4 character ratings

luigi bros

I'll try this. If I do a bad job just say so. And go easy on me since it's my first time, OK? I'll only do pairings within reason. They can be odd like Brigid/Lex but I'll do it. I'll only not do it if it's something like Brigid/Levin, which is crazy.

Edit:All the other rating topics have a score board. I'll add one to this.

Note:If a score changes only the board will. In the rating itself nothing will change.

10:Sigurd

9.5:

9:

8.5:

8:Lex

7:

6.5:

6:Fin(first generation), Azel

5.5:Alec, Noish

5:

4.5:

4:

3:Arden

2:

1:

Sigurd

Sigurd is the Lord of the game. He starts at Level 5 promoted so he's got a stat lead over almost all of the starting characters except Cuan who's almost always at WTD (Weapon Triangle Disadvantage) in the Prologue. He's one rounding almost everything except Gerrad, Dimaggio and the higher HP Brigands which he leaves at such low HP even Ethlin (the weakest person on the team currently) can kill. Fin and Cuan match him in movement (well almost for Fin) but are always at WTD which is huge in this game since they'll lose 20 avoid and it's already low enough. Alec and Noish need to work together to kill enemies and even that's not always enough. Lex has major avoid problems because of the Iron Axe's huge weight. Azel and Arden have movement problems but Azel can be useful because he hits Resistance which even the bosses have very little of. Azel also has avoid problems though because of Fire's weight. Ethlin should only be a healer. Another advantage he has is the only Authority Star the team gets he has two but only one counts. So that means anyone within three spaces of him gets a bonus. He also doesn't need to worry about the Weapon Triangle for a while and when he does which is Chapter 2 he should be able to take a lance or he can just use his Iron Lance. His growths are all good except Magic and Resistance. He doesn't need Magic since he probably won't be using magic swords and Deirdre and Claude are the only units with existant Resistance. Sylvia does as well but she won't be exposed. He has 30% Speed Growth and 40% Luck which means he'll dodge well enough and if he doesn't he's durable since he has 110% HP growth and 40% Defense. He only has one skill but it's Pursuit, the most important skill in the game. He'll do great as a fighter and be good on defense. He may lack 1-2 Range but he can use a Javalin if he needs to. He most likely won't since it's so heavy and he has enough move so he can attach far away enemies. And then he gets the Tyrfing. He may want to keep using the Steel or Silver Sword to get kills but look at the Tyrfing's bonuses +10 Speed and Skill making him dodge more often and +20 Resistance. This means he'll be the only character able to take multible Magic hits and possibly stand up to Reptor. Claude can as well but he's mainly a healer since he has only Es in Weapon Ranks.

He has his disadvantages but I'm giveing him a perfect score.

10/10

Edited by luigi bros

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a critique, I don't know if it's a good idea to mention other characters in a character's bio unless they are of the same class or that they work well together.

That's a part of him. It's comparing him to other units.

Alec

The green Social Knight/Cavalier of the game. He has worse bases than Sigurd, worse growths than Sigurd except in Skill and Luck which he only has 10% more of a growth, and he starts with only one Weapon Rank, which is swords. Swords may me the best weapon type in the game but he has the worst sword in the game, an Iron Sword. He can trade for a better one later but why? He's never that great and the better swords are better used on someone like Lachesis or Aira. One more thing about the Alec/Sigurd comparison; Alec has Pursuit and Nihil. Nihil isn't that important until Chapter 5 where few enemies have skills. That's about it. I've just compared him to Sigurd. Compared to Noish the red Cavalier he has Pursuit and Nihil compared to Critical and Charge. Alec's skills are more reliable because Pusuit will do more damage most of the time and since Noish averages 18 Skill at level 30 he'll never critical that often, and Charge may be better than Nihil but it's not going to activate too much since it's based on Speed which Noish is bad at. Alec may be better than Noish but that isn't saying much. He can be useful for saving the villages in the Prologue but after that he's basically useless since he can't attack that well and has lousy durability which means his only save is being able to remove but if he can't move far enough he's likely to die.

He's useful in the Prologue but that's it. I'd give him a 4/10 but he has some value in the Prologue which will increase his rating by .5 points.

5.5/10

Edited by luigi bros

Do you really think you're up to this? It's an awkward game to provide ratings for because of the two-generation system and ability to full deploy. Also I kind of totally disagree with you but since this is your rating topic I can't really argue it.

Edited by Renall

Some units are just bad. It's a major inconviniance to use Arden and some other characters. You can argue.

Noish

The red Cavalier of the game. He's simalar to Alec in many ways so I won't repeat myself for the most part. He's worse than Alec if only because of the lack of Pursuit. Again he has value in the Prologue but that's it.

5.5/10

Arden

The only Armor Knight in the first generation. He has good durability with a 90% HP growth and 40% Defense growth but his avoid is terrible. With an Iron Sword at level 30 he'll have only 21 avoid. He may be able to use all physical weapons but he can't dodge well enough. If you do train him he'll make an OK castle guard but that's it. His only skill is Ambush which is nice but without Pusuit he can't do much fighting. His biggest flaw is his movement though. Five after promotion on FE4's giant maps makes him a big inconvience. Unlike Alec and Noish the other two starting characters who are basically bad he has little Prologue value since he can't move far enough and by the time he does reach an enemy it's dead. He can guard the castle but usually enemies won't even get close to it.

3/10

Edited by luigi bros

Lex

Lex is the only main axe user in the first generation. He's also the only Axe Knight in the first generation. Unfortunately for him Axes are the worst weapon type by far because of their huge Weight. In the Prologue he can fight Brigands but he can only take a few hits and he has negative avoid because his axe is so heavy. After the Prologue and two thirds of the next chapter things pick up for him because he gets the Hero Axe. It makes up for his lack of Pursuit and it's way lighter than all other Axes. In Chapter 2 when lance enemies appear he gets WTA which helps him. After that he starts to be a tank because of his high Defense thanks to Neir Blood. His HP growth is also 90% so he'll be durable. His avoid isn't great but he can take a couple of hits as long as it isn't from a Mage. For skills he has Elite and Ambush. Ambush isn't that great since he has to be under 50% max HP but it can be helpful since he'll hit hard twice before the enemy even has a chance to attack. Elite is where he's great. He'll be double the level of everyone which means he'll be able to promote sooner and be even stronger.

He's only OK before the Hero Axe but afterwards he's great. I have to reduce his rating though because of his bad start.

7/10

Lex

Elite is where he's great. He'll be double the level of everyone which means he'll be able to promote sooner and be even stronger.

Not double. Exp growth is related to your level as well as your opponents level, which means as his level increases his growth slows. He'll end up verging towards about 7 levels higher, depending on how equally you use people in fights.

Edit: I really must stop saying things without explaining what it means. My geography teachers would be mad if they saw me doing that :P.

Basically, I dunno if you used character stats to calculate stuff, but if you did, recalculate. Lex is pretty awesome as a father, but as a fighter... I dunno, I haven't really compared stats.

Edited by I eat tables

OK. Maybe not twice the level but he'll be overleveled unless he's underused. He's a good fighter. He can take many non-magical hits. Magic is bad for almost anyone but he can't even dodge reliably. With physical weapons he has enough Defense.

Azel

One of the few Mages in the first generation. He specializes in fire magic which is the worst magic type just because of it's Weight. In the Prologue he can one round most of the enemies but he has little defense and his avoid is terrible meaning he can't be attacked too many twice. I'd say three is pushing your luck. He has the same problem in Chapter 1. But then in Chapter 2 there's a Thunder Tome for sale. He should buy it and then his Speed will kick in. Nine at base and a 50% growth. On average this means he'll get Speed every other level up. He also has a 40% Magic growth which means he'll hit hard on enemies since they have low Resistance. He also has Pursuit meaning he'll double attack often with that Speed. On promotion he gets swords but he only has a 10% Strength growth so it's pointless. His caps are worse than a Sage's but he has 3 more Movement.

Then in Chapter 4 Wind is for sale. He loses kills but gains 5 AS and 10 Avoid. His down side is only 5 Movement before promotion but he has 1-2 Range. His movement is a bit of a problem but if you put effort into him and promote him he'll have as much movement as Sigurd.

He has a bad start due to Fire's Weight but after that he can get Thunder and eventually Wind. His movement is also a problem but after promotion he'll be great with any non-Fire Tome.

7/10

The red Cavalier of the game. He's simalar to Alec in many ways so I won't repeat myself for the most part. He's worse than Alec if only because of the lack of Pursuit. Again he has value in the Prologue but that's it.

No he's not. Due to the fact that Noish actually has existing AS with swords, Noish is one out of very few people who wants the Pursuit Ring. It's agreed that Alec>Noish, but "lol Alec has pursuit and Noish doesn't" is too much of a generalization since you have to consider that Noish has a pretty solid chance at the Pursuit Ring. They're different enough to where they need to be rated separately, instead of saying "Oh Noish is bad like Alec I'm just going to skip him". We're not talking about Cain and Abel here where the only notable advantage the other one has can be listed in a sentence.

Also, 4/10 is ridiculously low for them. Being mounted, 2RKOing stuff and having good durability makes you closer to 6/10 material. Maybe even 7, but I wouldn't push that.

Edited by Athena's Chest

No he's not. Due to the fact that Noish actually has existing AS with swords, Noish is one out of very few people who wants the Pursuit Ring. It's agreed that Alec>Noish, but "lol Alec has pursuit and Noish doesn't" is too much of a generalization since you have to consider that Noish has a pretty solid chance at the Pursuit Ring. They're different enough to where they need to be rated separately, instead of saying "Oh Noish is bad like Alec I'm just going to skip him". We're not talking about Cain and Abel here where the only notable advantage the other one has can be listed in a sentence.

Also, 4/10 is ridiculously low for them. Being mounted, 2RKOing stuff and having good durability makes you closer to 6/10 material. Maybe even 7, but I wouldn't push that.

Levin is in the running. He can have even more overkill with it. It's like saying "give it to a bad unit so he'll be reasonable" instead of "give it to a great unit so he'll be over kill".

Noish is pretty simalar to Alec. The main differance is with most red/green Cavaliers; Speed and Skill vs. Strength, and in this case Defense.

What really makes Alec better is, is Pursuit.

Maybe 4/10 is a bit low. I'll bump it to 5.5/10 but that's it. 7/10 means they're Lex/Azel level. 6/10 means almost there. And where is their durabitlity good? Noish has the same Defense as Sigurd (not counting bases) but inferior avoid and Alec has less Defense than Sigurd but with slightly more avoid. They may be slightly durable but that's as far as it gets.

Maybe he is a good candidate for the ring BUT, they don't have good durability, in the prolouge they both get 3HKOed at 30-45% hit. Thier growths aren't that good. Alec will 2RKO but take 2 counters. Noish 3RKO. In chapter 2, they really suck. The armour knights come in groups carrying Axes, lances, and swords, so the weapon triangle control isn't that help because they are still being hit maybe. Sigurd and Cuan get 3 HKOed and Alec and Noish are borderline 3-4 hit KOed, but they also 3-4Round enemies themselves. But they are stuck with steel swords are best which just fail. Even Sigurd with silver sword can't 1 round the armor knights. They have better durability than the mages and Dew though >_>. The main issue though is they suck in the arena so they often end up underleveled and unable to earn enough money to earn great weapons. They are the worst red/green cavaliers in the series I would surmise, but I agree 4 is way too low for them. 5.5 is ok i guess

Fin

The only character playable in both generations. His growths are identical to Alec's but with 20% more in Luck. This means getting one point of avoid every other leves compared to every three-four levels. Fin uses lances which are heavier but most enemies during and after after Chapter 2 use either swords where he has WTA or lances where Alec would have WTD. Compared to everyone else he isn't great since he has Alec's growths. But he should be used because otherwise Leaf and Nanna will be in big trouble. In the first two chapters he's not too great because he's almost always has WTD meaning he needs other units to set up kills for him other wise he'll take a hit and since the Brigands hit hard that isn't good. Fin has the important Pursuit skill meaning he can double attack and later on when he gets the Hero Lance, quadruple attack. He also has Prayer meaning that when he gets to low HP he'll dodge like crazy. It only lasts for one turn though so be carful

I only mentioned Leaf and Nanna so for people who are playing this for the first time will know and not make the same mistake as me. For his performance as unit I'll give him a slightly higher score than Alec because of the Hero Lance and more Luck

6/10

Levin is in the running. He can have even more overkill with it. It's like saying "give it to a bad unit so he'll be reasonable" instead of "give it to a great unit so he'll be over kill".

Please direct me to the portion where I said "Noish is entitled to the Pursuit Ring and thus always gets it because he has no competition", because those words never came out of my mouth. I said "Noish is one of the few people who benefits from the Pursuit Ring so he has a good chance of getting it" which is much closer to the truth. Furthermore, after Levin promotes, what excuse to he have to still be holding onto the Ring? And who's that leave? You skipped over this point entirely and it's pretty vital. Noish>>>Alec when Noish has the Pursuit Ring.

Noish is pretty simalar to Alec. The main differance is with most red/green Cavaliers; Speed and Skill vs. Strength, and in this case Defense.

No he's not, and no it isn't. For most of prologue Noish is winning over Alec due to Alec not yet having the ability to buy Sigurd's Steel Sword, because he still wants it. One of Noish's hits isn't that much worse than two of Alec's [Actually isn't it better?] and if one of Noish's skills activates then he scores big damage or even a ORKO.

Then for chapters 1 and 2 the Steel Sword gives Alec a much more concrete damage edge, and from the time we get the Pursuit Ring to the rest of the game they're on and off, Noish winning when the pursuit Ring is in his possession and Alec winning when it's not. There's always at least some notable gap in performance between them, I don't see how you can just say "Meh Noish is a cav he's similar to Alec that's all to say". Even Kent and Sain are deserving of seperate rankings should a rankings topic come about, as should Kyle and Forde, Oscar and Kieran, etc. Cain/Abel is an exception because there's only a notable difference between them for a few chapters and they are more or less identical for the rest of the game. Noish/Alec is not an exception because they differ throughout the whole game. Same class getting the same score doesn't mean you just cut corners, unless they're actually similar enough to do so. For instance, I wouldn't mind if you just grouped LakcheJamka LakcheHolyn into one [That's not the best example but you understand the point I'm trying to make]

And where is their durabitlity good? Noish has the same Defense as Sigurd (not counting bases) but inferior avoid and Alec has less Defense than Sigurd but with slightly more avoid.

Um, if they're comparing to Sigurd in ANY category, that's a sign that they're performing good in that category.

Maybe he is a good candidate for the ring BUT, they don't have good durability, in the prolouge they both get 3HKOed at 30-45% hit.

You can't really say this is notably worse than anybody apart from Sigurd and Lex who are completely ridiculous anyway. They have comparable offense than Lex atm to compensate [At least they're not that much worse] Furthermore, terrain exists, and there's a lot of it on this map. That sends those hit rates way down, and they have Ethlin to keep up with them anyway, who is focusing on them+Fin far more than on Sigurd and Lex because they hardly need it [Okay Lex may need some from time to time] so Ethlin's priorities aren't too jumbled up despite being your sole healer.

Sigurd and Cuan get 3 HKOed and Alec and Noish are borderline 3-4 hit KOed, but they also 3-4Round enemies themselves. But they are stuck with steel swords are best which just fail.

I really really want to see more than just comparisons to Sigurd and Cuan because Sigurd can solo the whole flipping game [Thunderman's done it, or is in the process of doing it] and Cuan is one of your coolest units during the time that he exists. So yeah, please don't just say "Oh Sigurd>>>>Them, Alec and Noish suck" because by this logic every character in Gen 1 not named Sigurd is rubbish.

Even Sigurd with silver sword can't 1 round the armor knights.

Meaning that them not one rounding is not standing out that badly, since the guy with the best offense in the game isn't doing it.

The main issue though is they suck in the arena so they often end up underleveled and unable to earn enough money to earn great weapons.

I don't buy this at all. Even when not using them on maps I've had no trouble getting them to 4 of the arena, sometimes 5 on a good day. Imagine if I was actually using them on maps, now.

And wtf no, not enough money to earn weapons? How the hell do you figure that? All Alec needs to do is win one round of the arena to have enough dough to buy Sigurd's Steel Sword. Noish already has a steel so he doesn't even need to try to buy anything until Ayra/Holyn decides they don't need their Hero anymore [He's another good candidate for that, btw, just saying] and he'll easily be able to piece together the 8k by then one way or another. You're either oblivious to how money isn't much of an issue in this game, how easy winning the early levels of the arena are, or you're making really desperate attempts to sandbag them.

They are the worst red/green cavaliers in the series I would surmise, but I agree 4 is way too low for them. 5.5 is ok i guess

The only reason I'm agreeing with you here is because all of the other pairs are ridiculous.

but fine, 5.5, I still don't agree with it but it's better than 4

Edited by Athena's Chest

I've only compared them to Sigurd in the Prologue. Sigurd is just about the only unit in the Prologue without any problems so it's like that. After the Prologue do you see me mentioning them being infirior to Sigurd?

I've only compared them to Sigurd in the Prologue.

Okay, and? The prologue is included in the timeframe that Sigurd is the best unit ever. Comparing to Sigurd at any time throughout the game is hardly what I consider a sign you suck.

Maybe he is a good candidate for the ring BUT, they don't have good durability, in the prolouge they both get 3HKOed at 30-45% hit.

You can't really say this is notably worse than anybody apart from Sigurd and Lex who are completely ridiculous anyway. They have comparable offense than Lex atm to compensate [At least they're not that much worse] Furthermore, terrain exists, and there's a lot of it on this map. That sends those hit rates way down, and they have Ethlin to keep up with them anyway, who is focusing on them+Fin far more than on Sigurd and Lex because they hardly need it [Okay Lex may need some from time to time] so Ethlin's priorities aren't too jumbled up despite being your sole healer.

Sigurd and Cuan get 3 HKOed and Alec and Noish are borderline 3-4 hit KOed, but they also 3-4Round enemies themselves. But they are stuck with steel swords are best which just fail.

I really really want to see more than just comparisons to Sigurd and Cuan because Sigurd can solo the whole flipping game [Thunderman's done it, or is in the process of doing it] and Cuan is one of your coolest units during the time that he exists. So yeah, please don't just say "Oh Sigurd>>>>Them, Alec and Noish suck" because by this logic every character in Gen 1 not named Sigurd is rubbish.

Even Sigurd with silver sword can't 1 round the armor knights.

Meaning that them not one rounding is not standing out that badly, since the guy with the best offense in the game isn't doing it.

The main issue though is they suck in the arena so they often end up underleveled and unable to earn enough money to earn great weapons.

I don't buy this at all. Even when not using them on maps I've had no trouble getting them to 4 of the arena, sometimes 5 on a good day. Imagine if I was actually using them on maps, now.

And wtf no, not enough money to earn weapons? How the hell do you figure that? All Alec needs to do is win one round of the arena to have enough dough to buy Sigurd's Steel Sword. Noish already has a steel so he doesn't even need to try to buy anything until Ayra/Holyn decides they don't need their Hero anymore [He's another good candidate for that, btw, just saying] and he'll easily be able to piece together the 8k by then one way or another. You're either oblivious to how money isn't much of an issue in this game, how easy winning the early levels of the arena are, or you're making really desperate attempts to sandbag them.

They are the worst red/green cavaliers in the series I would surmise, but I agree 4 is way too low for them. 5.5 is ok i guess

The only reason I'm agreeing with you here is because all of the other pairs are ridiculous.

but fine, 5.5, I still don't agree with it but it's better than 4

I'm not sure how to respond to this huge wall of text because I'm too lazy to multi-quote.

You said that they have good durability. Cuan, Sigurd and Lex have good durability so comparing them to people with good offense and durability is showing why Alec and Noish have bad durability. While ppl like Cuan, Lex, and Sigurd 2RKO, Alec and Noish take like 4 rounds to KO armors. This bad because now they take a lot more counters. Good swords have huge competition in the first generation where your characters don't completely rock.

Quote: You're either oblivious to how money isn't much of an issue in this game, how easy winning the early levels of the arena are, or you're making really desperate attempts to sandbag them.

I'm not sure why you insist on getting through to the 5 arena round as good. The first four give the least amount of gold and Exp. around 5k gold is decent i guess, but buying than selling the hero sword is a loss of 4k. Even with the hero sword they still might not win to the faster enemies like Sword fighters.

Edited by Brighton

Lex and Azel have the same rating.

wut

So what do you suggest? Lex up or Azel down? I guess Lex up one and Azel down by 1 point because of his bad start with low movement before promotion and using Fire as his weapon.

Azel one of the worst? I didn't know that. After getting a Thunder Tome and eventually promoting how is he bad? 40% Magic growth on enemies with low Resistance and 50% Speed with Pursuit on semi-decent AS enemies. How is that bad? I know he has a slow start and he can only get the Thunder Tome in Chapter 2 but how is that bad?

Because he has no chance of actually getting those levels needed to promote and become better? The 1st Gen. is much more unforgiving to unmounted units than the 2nd Gen., and Azel can't even competently complete the Arena because of his loldurability and the wtf weight of Fire tomes. It doesn't matter if he gets a mount after promotion or if he gets Thunder. He has basically no chance of even reaching combat, and he isn't even good at it.

I think I'll put Lex at 8 and move Azel down to 6. I'll only change the score board though. I'm not going to go and edit each rating every time there's a problem with the score.