Strategies

Fei Mao

Scenarios  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Buy and stock up a lot? or Buy some and save gold? (First Armory/Shop you come across in FE games)

• Buy and stock up on items.
    • Buy some and save gold
  2. 2. Your hit rate is between 50-80% on an enemy take the risk?

3. 3. Enemy has between 20-70% hit rate take the risk?

Talking in a general idea, yes I know some RNG's are different and some FE games don't allow you to buy as much or is different in buying items. (FE4 and FE5) but anyways I'm curious on what people do on those scenarios I posted in a poll.

EDIT: Edited the poll people who wanted to vote depends will be in that category now.

Edited by Generic Officer

There should be a depends option on the third poll, as if Gatrie in FE10 we likely to get hit, I wouldn't care, but if Soren in FE10 was likely to get hit, I would. (Gatrie being a durable unit and Soren being a frail unit for the convenience of those who haven't played FE10).

Anyway, I'd stock up on weapons to be extra careful, but I'll probably take the risk of hitting/being hit.

Edited by kirsche

A lot of these questions are too situational to really answer; there are too many variables left out in a simple poll.

Pertaining to the first question:

Do we have the Silver Card?

Are we buying stat boosters, effective weapons, or normal weapons?

How much gold do we have?

I'll stock up if I've got a Silver Card and there are items available that are guaranteed to get used (Heal staves, etc). I tend to save more in the earlier phase of the game to buy ranged and effective weapons later.

Pertaining to the second:

That's a huge range of values. Generally, if my hit rate is over 75%, I'll gamble. If it's less than that, I weigh the risk versus the reward. I'd also consider the ramifications if my unit were to miss and get countered. There's often little penalty if a Mage misses, but more penalty of a melee unit misses.

Pertaining to the third:

Again, that's a huge range of values. Generally, I'll gamble if the enemy has 33% hit or less. 70% is good odds; in FEDS, you're almost certainly getting hit. As kirsche mentioned, sometimes it doesn't matter if you are hit, or you simply expect it. Generals can usually take several hits, or negate damage entirely.

I cant really say yes to the first one as my first lagdou ruins play-through I had no swords and no anima magic it depends how much damage will be done each way and how many hits like that your character can take

I think the biggest factor for the second two questions is how long you've been playing since the last save. If it is the beginning of the chapter, I'm far more likely to take a risk than towards the end of the chapter.

You forgot to put in a "Depends" option for the second question.

As for the first question, I have a habit from stocking up items that roots as far back as my first FE7 playthrough. I was in the Denning chapter, I didn't visit any shop since Unfulfilled Heart (Yeah, I didn't notice the shops in Cog of Destiny) and even though the next chapter allows you to stock up on everything I ran out of so much items that I couldn't continue and had to start the game all over again.

Since then I try to have at least 3 of each relevant weapon in the convoy at all times.

For the first, in the beginning of any FE, I tend to stock on only the bare necessities in case someone is running low on a certain amount of uses on a weapon and then a single extra sword.

I would always want to attack on player phase. Why risk getting hit when you can take the lead? If the rest of the army is near by, things will turn out fine regardless of the miss or hit on both polls. It mostly has to do with whether they double or are doubled and how much damage they can take.

I think with the second one as well as the third, there would be a general risk factor involved. So I would agree with Ike-Mike with the second question to have a "depends" option, as anyone wouldn't know what guarantees his/her strategy has. One minute you might have an edge, but say if either a lord unit or another pivotal piece of your strategy needs some protection, chances are whatever edge you have might just vanish.

As for the questions...

1: Usually I buy whatever I need, and save the rest of the gil for later.

I pretty much summed up my feelings for questions two and three.

2) Attack (I'm playing on Easy, what's the worst that could happen?)

3) See #2

Read what I said about risk factors being involved. Easy mode is one thing, but if you're playing something like hard mode, overconfidence may just come back to haunt you.