Monster Rancher DS coming to NA in march!

Tangerine

Tecmo confirmed earlier that "Monster Rancher DS" will finally be coming to NA after all this time. But it won't be the first installment, they're actually bringing Monster Rancher DS 2 here and calling it Monster Rancher DS because the first wasn't released, which is good news considering the enormous amount of content DS 2 has over the first.

This topic is basically just for people cool enough to be Ranchers and proud of it B). People looking to become Ranchers are welcome too!

Edited by Tangerine

It plays mostly the same as Monster Rancher 2 on PSX from what I've experienced. I imported the first game and this is a sequel, so it should be similar.

You have a farm (that you upgrade and acquire various tools for over the game) that you raise your own monsters on, basically. You train them, feed them, play with them, take them on adventures, learn new skills, enter tournaments for money/rank etc. To make monsters you draw them with the stylus, use the DS mic or enter GBA games into the GBA slot and it reads them to see what "monster" it has inside. There are 26 main breeds and 272~ total monsters. The mixbreeds are obtained by training and merging two different main breeds; you pick which main breed you want and the other monster becomes the sub breed, giving the baby monster new skills and physical traits from the sub breed but the physique of the main.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward. Outside of battle you navigate menus to move around, feed your monster and such. In battle you control your monster with the directional buttons but are still restricted to a line of movement. You have a bunch of skills that your monster has learned listed below the fight screen, but the catch is that some can only be performed at a certain distance. There are close range moves, mid range moves and long range moves. You and the opponent have "guts" that you gain over time and lose every time you attack or get attacked. You also lose guts when you miss. There are a bunch of emotions your monster can have during battle depending on their personality type and what happens. For example, "Anger" boosts POW based moves and lowers INT based moves, Foolery causes your monster to ignore orders etc.

For the story, it's extremely anime-based as you might have guessed :P.

It's pretty tough to explain since the monster raising/battling is so in depth. You'll probably know whether or not it's for you from what I explained though.

Edited by Tangerine

Tecmo confirmed earlier that "Monster Rancher DS" will finally be coming to NA after all this time. But it won't be the first installment, they're actually bringing Monster Rancher DS 2 here and calling it Monster Rancher DS because the first wasn't released, which is good news considering the enormous amount of content DS 2 has over the first.

This topic is basically just for people cool enough to be Ranchers and proud of it B). People looking to become Ranchers are welcome too!

FUCK YES. I enjoyed MR1 and 2, as well as 4. The first GBA game was eh, but Monster Rancher Advance 2 was awesome.

I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, if you're a fan of the first two you'll probably be happy to hear that death is back too. Nobody lives forever anymore :o. It's looking a lot more old school than the recent ones have been, which is great for the fans of the older games. Lots of the monsters who haven't been seen for years are coming back. Zilla and Centaur being the most notable. From the screens I've seen, it looks like the old Hare might be back as well. No Worm or Jell though :(.

I was also wrong before; there are going to be 29 total main breeds, which brings the total monsters up to over 300 instead. Not sure of an exact number because I don't know who the new breeds will be able to combine with.

Oh, if you're a fan of the first two you'll probably be happy to hear that death is back too. Nobody lives forever anymore :o. It's looking a lot more old school than the recent ones have been, which is great for the fans of the older games. Lots of the monsters who haven't been seen for years are coming back. Zilla and Centaur being the most notable. From the screens I've seen, it looks like the old Hare might be back as well. No Worm or Jell though :(.

I was also wrong before; there are going to be 29 total main breeds, which brings the total monsters up to over 300 instead. Not sure of an exact number because I don't know who the new breeds will be able to combine with.

Needs more Undine and Metalner. And the old Joker. And Gali. And Ghost. And Bajarl. And Wracky. Etc.

And multiple Henger types. I miss Omega. :(

Edited by NoNameAtAll

I know Gali and the old Joker are back. Bajarl and Ghost haven't been in a game for a while, have they? I think Bajarl was in Monster Rancher EVO, which was the most recent game, but I didn't play it long enough to get one >_>. Not the typical MR game at all.

I know Gali and the old Joker are back. Bajarl and Ghost haven't been in a game for a while, have they? I think Bajarl was in Monster Rancher EVO, which was the most recent game, but I didn't play it long enough to get one >_>. Not the typical MR game at all.

Ghost was in MR1 and 2. But it got shafted in 3 upward. Bajarl started in MR2.

...I also miss Niton and Hopper. ;_;

Really? You miss Hopper :P? He was pretty worthless outside of digging up that hot spring, IMO >_>. Horrible stat gains and weak moves made him like, bottom of my list. Dino hasn't been in a game since MR1, which is the real tragedy!

Really? You miss Hopper :P? He was pretty worthless outside of digging up that hot spring, IMO >_>. Horrible stat gains and weak moves made him like, bottom of my list. Dino hasn't been in a game since MR1, which is the real tragedy!

Nor has Magic or Disk. >_>

Doodle showed up in MRA2 though.

Dino did show up as a variation of Zuum in MR4 though.

Also bring back Jill.

But man, I do want Undine back. The Undine I had? Awesome.

And Hoppers are meant to be used as annoyers. They have insane guts regeneration, though not at Metalner's level.

Edited by NoNameAtAll